Duck Hunting Forum banner

Belle is picking this up quickly

2K views 3 replies 4 participants last post by  camarine 
#1 ·
i have been training my dog for awhile now mostly to a hunt test standard have run a few test and have done ok in them but this has been her first season hunting and she is slowly picking things up from training to hunting. opening morning we had a issue with breaking (hasn't done that in a long time in training) but she did pick up her first 2 ducks that day. her next hunt we didn't kill anything but got her looking a birds better as they were flying so she could mark them down if they were shot. well today was a solo hunt and I tied her leash to a tree so if she did break she was getting a correction from herself. I shot a double and she picked up the 2nd bird down but didn't see the first bird go down so we walked over and commanded "hunt it up" and after searching through 2-3 pieces of cover she got birdy and picked up the 1st bird down. if she picks up 50 birds this year I will be happy but I will be happier if she is steady like she is in training. just got to hunt her a lot and get the corrections in. so if anyone wants to hunt with a dog I would be game to travel and just work her. she is pretty calm in hunting situations other than when birds start getting shoot at but im looking to get her on birds and help her figure out how to hunt.

See less See more
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.