Great ending

This forum is where New Mexico duck hunting is discussed. Read others posts and share your thoughts here.

Moderators: quackadikt, randy marci, ghostingrey

Great ending

Postby quackadikt » Sat Nov 30, 2013 7:06 pm

to a damn good day.

"A man may not care for golf and still be human, but the man who does not like to see, hunt, photograph or otherwise outwit birds or animals is hardly normal. He is supercivilized, and I for one do not know how to deal with him." Aldo Leopold
quackadikt
State Moderator

Location: The Irrirgation Canal formerly known as the Rio Grande

Re: Great ending

Postby jayclarkie » Sat Nov 30, 2013 9:44 pm

Nice!
Sorry folks, park's closed...
jayclarkie
hunter

Postby Rivr2319 » Sun Dec 01, 2013 9:42 pm

WHAAAT! Nice band man! Whacked 2 today down at the quag. Was a great trip!

Sent from my C5155 using Tapatalk
KUPT UP AND KOMMITED
TAKE EM'!!!
Rivr2319
hunter

Postby Back for more » Mon Dec 02, 2013 9:25 am

nice , luck right ?
"When the tires hit the mud , it will right the wrongs"

Why do I shoot 3.5" shells for ducks and geese ? Because they don't make 4" yet
Back for more
hunter

Postby quackadikt » Mon Dec 02, 2013 9:33 am

Yup...just luck and some help from the Big Guy upstairs. And I'll take both any day of the week over thinking that skillz are the reason that I killed a band.
"A man may not care for golf and still be human, but the man who does not like to see, hunt, photograph or otherwise outwit birds or animals is hardly normal. He is supercivilized, and I for one do not know how to deal with him." Aldo Leopold
quackadikt
State Moderator

Postby Back for more » Mon Dec 02, 2013 10:38 am

I admit it's a lot of luck but it helps when I can see the band before the shot via close distance
"When the tires hit the mud , it will right the wrongs"

Why do I shoot 3.5" shells for ducks and geese ? Because they don't make 4" yet
Back for more
hunter

Postby flashman252 » Mon Dec 02, 2013 11:42 am

Nice and congrats. Was this band pretty new? Not trying to ask for any key info, just wondering because it's weird that it has green lettering. My buddy shot one last yr with orange lettering and his was only a yr old. Also, maybe someone on here knows if that's something new they are doing or if they have always had coloring in the bands? I've never killed one with green numbering or orange numbering or had any coloring at all. Again congrats on the band, always a nice surprise when the pooch brings back a little jewelry.
flashman252
hunter

Postby quackadikt » Mon Dec 02, 2013 12:18 pm

BFM, funny thing you mention that. I looked really hard at this bird's legs before I shot him but didn't see a band. I didn't see it until after I got the dog back on her stand and took the bird from her.

Flashman, it was banded 9/9/2013. You can tell that the whole band was green at one time, but it was almost all worn out except for inside the numbers/letters. This is the first colored band I have seen(other than pictures of money bands) but I've talked to a few folks recently that have killed some bands like this before. They're new to me too.
quackadikt
State Moderator

Postby Blackfoot Inc » Mon Dec 02, 2013 1:49 pm

Seems Mr Mike Blenden (bander) has had his hands all over our birds.

What happened to jrabq post...LOL!
Blackfoot Inc
hunter

Postby Nasty Boy » Wed Dec 04, 2013 8:45 pm

Rivr2319 wrote:WHAAAT! Nice band man! Whacked 2 today down at the quag. Was a great trip!

Sent from my C5155 using Tapatalk

Great to see you got out and get you some on your trip..............You will be hanging one of those on your lanyard soon as well.

BTW what kind of "Shotty" did you get yourself?
Nasty Boy
hunter

Postby bandgitter91 » Thu Dec 05, 2013 10:37 am

The bands are all painted at first, well most of them , the paint just normally wears off, i use to intern at Bosque and would help do net shots where we would band them and there we had yellow paint on the bands inside the numbers/letters and the rest was grey, but sometimes we also just put regular bands on, you need to check it because usually the colored bands are for rewards to help promote the turn in of banded birds so they can track them. Green is usaully like $25 or $10 red has a range of like $50-75. or something like that. But congrats man nice to somebody killing something especially with jewels on it.
bandgitter91
hunter

Postby jrabq » Thu Dec 05, 2013 11:13 am

My brother shot this one with the green money band on it when he was hunting with me back in 2008. It was worth $50, but he said it took a long time before they sent him the check. Only one I've ever seen. I looks like some type of green anodization, it's not paint. I don't remember exactly what it said, but it was obvious there was a reward.

jrabq
hunter

Postby quackadikt » Thu Dec 05, 2013 11:25 am

To the best of my knowledge, all money bands are anodized(not painted) and the bird is double banded. I'm pretty positive that 2008 was the last year that any birds were banded with money bands.
quackadikt
State Moderator

Postby jayclarkie » Thu Dec 05, 2013 11:28 am

it'd take more than 50 bucks to get me to send a band in....30 plus years and not one yet :fingerhead:
jayclarkie
hunter

Postby quackadikt » Thu Dec 05, 2013 11:31 am

I don't think that you send the band itself in. I'm pretty sure it's just an incentive to report the band.
quackadikt
State Moderator

Postby jrabq » Thu Dec 05, 2013 11:59 am

quackadikt wrote:I don't think that you send the band itself in. I'm pretty sure it's just an incentive to report the band.

Yep, he kept the band.
jrabq
hunter

Postby jayclarkie » Thu Dec 05, 2013 12:06 pm

Ahhh...
jayclarkie
hunter

Return to New Mexico Duck Hunting