over-sized decoys Versus Life-sized decoys

This is the North Carolina duck hunting forum. A place to discuss duck hunting in North Carolina and other waterfowl.

Moderators: stumpjumper, fowl_wishes, NCSUDucker

over-sized decoys Versus Life-sized decoys

Postby Junior Duck Commander » Sun Dec 01, 2013 6:36 pm

Hey everyone. Just wanted to get some peoples opinions on over-sized decoys vs. life-sized decoys. I personally have only used life sized decoys and have had some good results. I am expanding my decoy spread now and was debating on buying the oversized or life size. Thanks
Junior Duck Commander
hunter

Re: over-sized decoys Versus Life-sized decoys

Postby trigger22 » Sun Dec 01, 2013 6:39 pm

To me it is all about variety. Every duck is not the same size or color. I like to have life size and over sized decoys as well as different brands. Over sized are also easier for the ducks to see at first light and in rougher water if hunting the sound.
Sporting the Ambusher Layout and the Sprigtail Pirogue by Core Sound Layout Boats. "By the time they see you, it's too late."
trigger22
hunter

Postby ducking&diving » Sun Dec 01, 2013 7:08 pm

I use G&H super mags, which are relatively large and G&H standards, and some GHG lifesize and oversize all mixed together.
20' Jones Brothers Bateau
Ambusher Layout
Benelli
Beretta
ducking&diving
hunter

Postby TooTall » Sun Dec 01, 2013 9:58 pm

When hunting coastal creeks and even the rivers I prefer more lifesized decoys over fewer magnums, but when I hunt the sound or the mouths of the rivers, I have several magnums I will add to the upwind side of the spread for visibility.

I would rather have 4 dozen cheap lifesize decoys over a dozen nice magnums any day.
Garrett Trentham
TooTall
hunter

Return to North Carolina Duck Hunting