season start date for southern zone is stupid

Learn and share Illinois river duck hunting with other duck hunters. Have fun and tell your best hunting jokes about Illinois.

Moderators: lostpup, MM, Illinois-Ducker, huntall6

season start date for southern zone is stupid

Postby resqer8 » Sun Dec 01, 2013 9:51 pm

So who ever thought that a start date in the begining of november for the south central zone needs a reality check. Anyone that hunts the south central zone knows that all this early start does is to take three weeks of the prime season away from us. The ducks are just now starting to show up as usual. Our best hunting days the last two years have been the last week of the season. I have heard the few that like this season say that it is because they get froze out of there potholes for hunting. Well to that I say that is your fault for not taking precaution to keep your holes open. I set in the feild after the season has ended and see thousands of ducks and watch as they come into the feild and i can only watch as they light around my goose decoys.I dont see who this benifits, yes you might not get froze out as quickly but after you kill the local ducks you have to wait a couple of weeks for the birds to get here. We need to go back to a thanksgiving start and a last week in january end date.How do we get this changed?
Last edited by resqer8 on Mon Dec 02, 2013 12:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
resqer8
hunter
 
Posts: 23
Joined: Fri Dec 14, 2007 3:27 pm
Location: pinckneyville, il


Re: season start date for southern zone is stupid

Postby traydog14 » Mon Dec 02, 2013 2:03 am

Take a check to Springfield and hand it over to the politicians. I agree with your way of thinking. It sucks in the south central zone also. We will be covered in ducks 2 weeks after season. I have stated in other threads that a split season would be great for us. Good luck getting it changed.
1860 swv4f4 excel Mudbuddy sport V44
traydog14
hunter
 
Posts: 107
Joined: Thu Dec 09, 2010 6:55 pm
Location: Chester Illinois

Re: season start date for southern zone is stupid

Postby rism » Mon Dec 02, 2013 9:51 am

Not sure what you are talking about here. Southern zone didn't open until Thanksgiving day and they are already fighting ice ??? Are you are referring to South central zone?
rism
hunter
 
Posts: 146
Joined: Wed Mar 16, 2011 9:04 am

Re: season start date for southern zone is stupid

Postby rism » Mon Dec 02, 2013 10:04 am

Traydog 14 -- How many meetings on the proposed zone lines. opening dates did you attend and voice your opinion ?? There was some private club influence I will agree. But at the meetings they had some valid points and not so valid points. In the end the IDNR did what 69% of the hunters that attended the meetings wanted done. There will always be a difference of opinion and not everyone will be satisfied. If you live in the northern part of the central zone right now your froze up. Middle part where I'm at just so so. Broke ice Thursday and Friday, slush Sat and open water Sunday. Hammered mallards all four days. Seasons have to be managed for a majority of hunters, not what some of us individuals want. I hunt 50 to 60 days between the central and southern zones. Would I make changes - you bet ! Next opportunity comes in 2 years - go to the meetings and voice your opinion. Find out what others from the far reaches of where you live have to say.
rism
hunter
 
Posts: 146
Joined: Wed Mar 16, 2011 9:04 am

Re: season start date for southern zone is stupid

Postby MODuckkiller » Mon Dec 02, 2013 12:07 pm

rism wrote:Not sure what you are talking about here. Southern zone didn't open until Thanksgiving day and they are already fighting ice ??? Are you are referring to South central zone?

I was confused by this as well. The South Zone hasn't even been open for week....? :huh:
MIZ
-MODuckkiller
User avatar
MODuckkiller
hunter
 
Posts: 1596
Joined: Mon Nov 29, 2010 7:54 am
Location: Missouri, Louisiana

Re: season start date for southern zone is stupid

Postby asmythe32 » Mon Dec 02, 2013 12:31 pm

resqer8 wrote:So who ever thought that a start date in the begining of november for the southern zone needs a reality check. Anyone that hunts the southern zone knows that all this early start does is to take three weeks of the prime season away from us. The ducks are just now starting to show up as usual. Our best hunting days the last two years have been the last week of the season. I have heard the few that like this season say that it is because they get froze out of there potholes for hunting. Well to that I say that is your fault for not taking precaution to keep your holes open. I set in the feild after the season has ended and see thousands of ducks and watch as they come into the feild and i can only watch as they light around my goose decoys.I dont see who this benifits, yes you might not get froze out as quickly but after you kill the local ducks you have to wait a couple of weeks for the birds to get here. We need to go back to a thanksgiving start and a last week in january end date.How do we get this changed?


If you have been hunting southern zone since the beginning of November you might be in trouble, lol


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
User avatar
asmythe32
hunter
 
Posts: 1120
Joined: Thu Oct 23, 2008 9:31 am
Location: Illinois

Re: season start date for southern zone is stupid

Postby resqer8 » Mon Dec 02, 2013 1:08 pm

Ok I am sorry I did not post this correctly it should be the south central zone. I did attend a couple of the meetings when they announced that they were having meetings and i did voice my opinion. I know that the majority of the response came the club owners. And to say that the vote was decided on 67% of what the majority of the hunters wanted is incorrect. I was part of the vote and there was less than 10% of the non club hunters even at the meetings because of poor communication with the public.
resqer8
hunter
 
Posts: 23
Joined: Fri Dec 14, 2007 3:27 pm
Location: pinckneyville, il

Re: season start date for southern zone is stupid

Postby jswamp1 » Mon Dec 02, 2013 7:31 pm

I would agree the seasons being messed up, however I will hunt the dates they give me me and hope for best - I hunt central zone. The area in the central zone I hunt is farther South than much of the South Central Zone - don't like it one bit - but love to hunt and will hope for change and hunt in the meantime.
jswamp1
hunter
 
Posts: 11
Joined: Sat Dec 31, 2011 10:20 am

Re: season start date for southern zone is stupid

Postby Skyblaster7 » Mon Dec 02, 2013 8:37 pm

resqer8 wrote:Ok I am sorry I did not post this correctly it should be the south central zone. I did attend a couple of the meetings when they announced that they were having meetings and i did voice my opinion. I know that the majority of the response came the club owners. And to say that the vote was decided on 67% of what the majority of the hunters wanted is incorrect. I was part of the vote and there was less than 10% of the non club hunters even at the meetings because of poor communication with the public.


which meetings did you attend?
User avatar
Skyblaster7
Forum Moderator
 
Posts: 679
Joined: Tue Sep 11, 2007 10:22 am

Re: season start date for southern zone is stupid

Postby Skyblaster7 » Mon Dec 02, 2013 8:40 pm

rism wrote:Traydog 14 -- How many meetings on the proposed zone lines. opening dates did you attend and voice your opinion ?? There was some private club influence I will agree. But at the meetings they had some valid points and not so valid points. In the end the IDNR did what 69% of the hunters that attended the meetings wanted done. There will always be a difference of opinion and not everyone will be satisfied. If you live in the northern part of the central zone right now your froze up. Middle part where I'm at just so so. Broke ice Thursday and Friday, slush Sat and open water Sunday. Hammered mallards all four days. Seasons have to be managed for a majority of hunters, not what some of us individuals want. I hunt 50 to 60 days between the central and southern zones. Would I make changes - you bet ! Next opportunity comes in 2 years - go to the meetings and voice your opinion. Find out what others from the far reaches of where you live have to say.


the zones and season dates are not determined just by the meetings, it's just a piece of the puzzle.
also, just because there have been meetings in the past does not mean there will always be meetings.
User avatar
Skyblaster7
Forum Moderator
 
Posts: 679
Joined: Tue Sep 11, 2007 10:22 am

Re: season start date for southern zone is stupid

Postby DuckinFool » Mon Dec 02, 2013 11:43 pm

The starting dates of the South Central and South zones are not the problem. The problem is how bad the morons screwed up the South Central and South Zone boundary line.
Recession-neighbor loses job...Depression-you lose job...Recovery-Obama loses job.
Image
Don't blame me.....I didn't vote for him !!!
User avatar
DuckinFool
hunter
 
Posts: 1470
Joined: Sat Oct 15, 2005 6:47 am
Location: Southern Illinois

Re: season start date for southern zone is stupid

Postby WillFultz » Tue Dec 03, 2013 6:22 am

Can someone tell me when these meeting are because I would love to go. Season starts too early in the northern zone as well. Yeah the marsh that I hunt froze over already but guess what? I bought an ice eater and generator and have been keeping it open. Yesterday two of us limited on mallards in one hour. The only thing we needed is more guys to kill them. With what these crappy clubs charge for their memberships they can afford to do the same. Look at habitat flats. They run 5 or 6 ice eaters and have some of the best hunting because of it. I'm up for organizing a group to go down there. I've never met one hunter that thinks illinois season dates are right.
WillFultz
hunter
 
Posts: 39
Joined: Mon Jul 29, 2013 8:07 pm

Re: season start date for southern zone is stupid

Postby redneckgoosebuster22 » Tue Dec 03, 2013 7:26 am

not enough guys to shoot all those mallards you say? :hi: pleanty of us on here to help with that im sure :thumbsup:
redneckgoosebuster22
hunter
 
Posts: 113
Joined: Wed Oct 31, 2012 10:56 pm
Location: Braidwood, Il

Re: season start date for southern zone is stupid

Postby YoYo35 » Tue Dec 03, 2013 7:42 am

resqer8 wrote:after you kill the local ducks you have to wait a couple of weeks for the birds to get here.


Been like this for years in the central zone where I hunt. With the exception of the last two years. You guys aren't the only ones.
YoYo35
Newb
 
Posts: 1
Joined: Mon Dec 26, 2011 9:17 am

Re: season start date for southern zone is stupid

Postby rism » Tue Dec 03, 2013 8:42 am

Duckinfool - Can you give me the reason you think the zone lines are screwed up ? I thought so too until I found out the reasoning behind it ??
rism
hunter
 
Posts: 146
Joined: Wed Mar 16, 2011 9:04 am

season start date for southern zone is stupid

Postby KillerKowalski » Tue Dec 03, 2013 3:42 pm

Skyblaster7, any info on hearing dates or a contact we could reach?

Sure if I start digging I could find something, but honestly don't even know where to start. A few club owners around could, but one is heavily against current legislation.
User avatar
KillerKowalski
hunter
 
Posts: 2423
Joined: Sun Oct 16, 2011 3:25 pm

Re: season start date for southern zone is stupid

Postby DuckinFool » Tue Dec 03, 2013 6:06 pm

rism wrote:Duckinfool - Can you give me the reason you think the zone lines are screwed up ? I thought so too until I found out the reasoning behind it ??


Take a good look at the boundary line map. :yes:
Recession-neighbor loses job...Depression-you lose job...Recovery-Obama loses job.
Image
Don't blame me.....I didn't vote for him !!!
User avatar
DuckinFool
hunter
 
Posts: 1470
Joined: Sat Oct 15, 2005 6:47 am
Location: Southern Illinois

Re: season start date for southern zone is stupid

Postby DuckinFool » Tue Dec 03, 2013 6:08 pm

WillFultz wrote:Can someone tell me when these meeting are because I would love to go. Season starts too early in the northern zone as well. Yeah the marsh that I hunt froze over already but guess what? I bought an ice eater and generator and have been keeping it open. Yesterday two of us limited on mallards in one hour. The only thing we needed is more guys to kill them. With what these crappy clubs charge for their memberships they can afford to do the same. Look at habitat flats. They run 5 or 6 ice eaters and have some of the best hunting because of it. I'm up for organizing a group to go down there. I've never met one hunter that thinks illinois season dates are right.



Just let me know when and where......I am willing to help out. :thumbsup:
Recession-neighbor loses job...Depression-you lose job...Recovery-Obama loses job.
Image
Don't blame me.....I didn't vote for him !!!
User avatar
DuckinFool
hunter
 
Posts: 1470
Joined: Sat Oct 15, 2005 6:47 am
Location: Southern Illinois

Re: season start date for southern zone is stupid

Postby KillerKowalski » Tue Dec 03, 2013 6:15 pm

X2 or 3.
User avatar
KillerKowalski
hunter
 
Posts: 2423
Joined: Sun Oct 16, 2011 3:25 pm

Re: season start date for southern zone is stupid

Postby DuckinFool » Tue Dec 03, 2013 6:32 pm

Season dates, zones and boundary lines in Illinois are set every 5 years and cannot be changed until the end of 5 years or so we are told by IDNR. We are stuck with the current season dates and zone boundaries for 3 more seasons after this one. :mad:
Recession-neighbor loses job...Depression-you lose job...Recovery-Obama loses job.
Image
Don't blame me.....I didn't vote for him !!!
User avatar
DuckinFool
hunter
 
Posts: 1470
Joined: Sat Oct 15, 2005 6:47 am
Location: Southern Illinois

Re: season start date for southern zone is stupid

Postby KillerKowalski » Tue Dec 03, 2013 6:46 pm

Thought it is two more after this season.
User avatar
KillerKowalski
hunter
 
Posts: 2423
Joined: Sun Oct 16, 2011 3:25 pm

Re: season start date for southern zone is stupid

Postby MODuckkiller » Tue Dec 03, 2013 6:59 pm

KillerKowalski wrote:Thought it is two more after this season.

This is correct.
MIZ
-MODuckkiller
User avatar
MODuckkiller
hunter
 
Posts: 1596
Joined: Mon Nov 29, 2010 7:54 am
Location: Missouri, Louisiana


Return to Illinois Duck Hunting

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 4 guests