Steps to painting a shotgun (dial up users beware)

Share your questions on all makes and models of shotguns. Please post chokes questions in the SRBC forum

Moderators: Quack Wacker NC, MM

Postby stumpjumper » Sun Apr 08, 2007 10:19 am

RI, none of the guns have been used during duck season so far. But my daughters gun gets used on the skeet team and it has been through one turkey hunt so far. The only place where there is any wear to speak of is where the foreend slides over the barrel where she takes it apart to clean. The outter coat has some scratches on it, but it hasn`t worn thru or chipped away. I can`t tell you how many times she has cleaned it so far. At least 20 times.
The boat has been thru an extensive hunting season. We hunt rough back waters hince the screen name Stumpjumper. There are a FEW scratches here and there, but nothing major. The only place there is wear is the rear bench seat where I sit. The waders rubbing on it has worn thru the paint on the edges. But I believe that is because I didn`t primer the boat. I painted over the original OD green color.

STUMP
'Lord, hold our troops in your loving hands. Protect them as they protect us. Bless them and their families for the selfless acts they perform for us in our time of need. Amen..'
stumpjumper
Forum & State Moderator

Postby fowl_wishes » Sun Apr 08, 2007 12:35 pm

Stump, we may have created a mosnter. :thumbsup:

and as for the paints not sticking, i asked a painter buddy of mine. she told me that you are coorect mossy. but she also said that the paints will adhere a lil better than usual because of the "spray thru" technique used to apply the undercoats. she said that it was rought enough that the reeds shoudl stick for quite some time. especially with the matte sealer on the full gun.

And i do not doubt that stump stands behind his work liek he said befopre, but i do not think i will have to take him up on it.
Shoot'em close. Less to pick.

They might get my guns, but they'll get the bullets first !
fowl_wishes
Forum & State Moderator

Postby MossyGO! » Sun Apr 15, 2007 3:15 am

well stump, I had to stop on the gun because of turkey in a few hours but I think it's looking how I want it to. Just needs a little more detail. I have to thank you for the help awhile back, you had some great ideas. I also have to thank my old lady for the hand painting, but I'll do that later :wink: What do you think?

[siteimg]2242[/siteimg]

[siteimg]2243[/siteimg]

[siteimg]2244[/siteimg]

[siteimg]2246[/siteimg]
idahofowler wrote: i can shoulder a gun faster than anyone i know. i try to let the people i'm hunting with have the first shot because i can clean house even if i fire last. with instinct shots, no one beats me.
MossyGO!
Forum & State Moderator

Postby stumpjumper » Sun Apr 15, 2007 8:56 am

Mossy, I think she looks GREAT. You and your better half :clapping: have done a wonderful job. The pattern looks like it will work out just fine. Impressive brother.
So how hard was it to do? Did your significant other have problems painting the reeds. It can get hard to paint around the curved areas.

It`s great to see you given it a try. Hopefully you will love that camo job more than any dipped gun. It`s a part of you. Glad I could help. That`s what the post was intended for. Plus it`s good to see the wife was getting involved in your passion of hunting. Gives the two of you something to talk about. Becareful with that thing. You know how the ladies take it personal when you mess up something they`ve help do. May need to add a few extra coats of sealer there. :eek:

STUMP
'Lord, hold our troops in your loving hands. Protect them as they protect us. Bless them and their families for the selfless acts they perform for us in our time of need. Amen..'
stumpjumper
Forum & State Moderator

Postby fowl_wishes » Sun Apr 15, 2007 9:10 am

Looks great there mossy! Looks like you have a leaf or two in the paint job. how did you get that in there? i would assume it is handpainted. no matter what it is a great looking job. :thumbsup:

you did make sure to put some fingerprints in it like stump did? it makes all the difference. :lol: just yankin yoru chain bud.

fowl_wishes
Forum & State Moderator

Postby MossyGO! » Mon Apr 16, 2007 9:34 pm

yeah, she did a great job. I did the base coats and cut out the stencils out of contact paper(including leaves) then I airbrushed some browns and greens and blacks. It took awhile to find the right background color because I thought I got it before but after it dried it turned out real green so I just kept experimenting. As far as everything else, she hand painted the details on the reeds and leaves.
And yes stump, she wouldn't be too happy if I ruined the paint but she knows what duck hunting involves. I'm taking it out tomorrow morning for some turkey, it should blend in pretty well with my surroundings there. That's why I was surprised she threw some leaves in the breakup, like she read my mind!
idahofowler wrote: i can shoulder a gun faster than anyone i know. i try to let the people i'm hunting with have the first shot because i can clean house even if i fire last. with instinct shots, no one beats me.
MossyGO!
Forum & State Moderator

Postby choc.lab » Mon May 21, 2007 9:02 am

Questin for stumpjumper?

I have a mossberg silver reserve I want to paint. Im wondering if the engravings would have an effect on the paint chipping or is there any thing I need to do more of the preping for the engraving?? thank.

great job on the remmy, that was perfect. that is what I want for duck and dove hunting on my o/u.
choc.lab
hunter

Postby stumpjumper » Mon May 21, 2007 5:04 pm

Choc..... Here`s what I would recommend. First make sure to use steel wool to rough the area up good. Next make sure to use acetone to clean the area. Get down in those grooves for sure. Then I would make sure to add a little more spray in that area. If your still worried about it get yourself a brass wire brush. That will get down in those hard to reach areas so the paint will stick.
I know it sounds crazy scratching up a gun. But if you don`t give the paint a rough and clean surface to stick to your wasting your time. Also know that there are areas on every gun theat are contact points. The paint will rub in these areas and you will have to apply some oil so`s not to allow it to rust.

STUMP
stumpjumper
Forum & State Moderator

Postby choc.lab » Mon May 21, 2007 5:21 pm

thanks for the fast reply. Ive been wanting to do this some time now Im just not that artistic and know if i mess it up Ill be mad about. i think your steps are pretty word for word what to do so i might try it out.

Unless you was wanting to test out an o/u also to see how you did on one of'em. :rolleyes: lol
choc.lab
hunter

Postby stumpjumper » Mon May 21, 2007 6:29 pm

I currently have two guns here that I`m in the process of doing. One is 95% done and the other50% done. Give it a go yourself and see what you think. If you mess is up let me know, we can work something out.

Don`t try anything.... Just do it

STUMP
stumpjumper
Forum & State Moderator

Postby fowl_wishes » Mon May 21, 2007 9:02 pm

stumpjumper wrote:Don`t try anything.... Just do it
are you sponsored by nike shoes now or sumthin? i didnt think they had a pro-staff quite yet.

have a durability update on my sp10. i havent gotten a chance to use it in teh filed yet, but it is holding up nicely. put it thru two boxes of shells with some back yard skeet shootin. still lookin good.

fowl_wishes
Forum & State Moderator

Postby Fooshman » Tue May 22, 2007 1:47 am

That's awesome. I might have to pick up another gun and try my hand at it.
Fooshman
hunter

Postby stumpjumper » Thu May 24, 2007 5:02 pm

fowl_wishes wrote:
stumpjumper wrote:Don`t try anything.... Just do it
are you sponsored by nike shoes now or sumthin? i didnt think they had a pro-staff quite yet.

HA HA. No not yet, but who knows. I`m sure you are aware that I am on the Cutt-N-Run pro staff though. We are in the process of updating ALOT of things and we have a slogan that we will be using...The last sound he`ll hear. What do you think?

STUMP
stumpjumper
Forum & State Moderator

Postby Jager » Fri May 25, 2007 6:05 pm

I hate u SOBs :lol:

:thumbsup:
Jager
hunter

Postby fowl_wishes » Fri May 25, 2007 7:20 pm

Jager wrote:I hate u SOBs :lol:

and why is that? cuz mine is prettier? :lol: prolly bigger too. :yes:

fowl_wishes
Forum & State Moderator

Postby stumpjumper » Fri May 25, 2007 7:20 pm

Sorry you feel that way brother. Oh what the hell... I hate me to :hammer: :hammer:

:lol:

STUMP
stumpjumper
Forum & State Moderator

Postby fowl_wishes » Fri May 25, 2007 7:27 pm

stumpjumper wrote:

Sorry you feel that way brother. Oh what the hell... I hate me to :hammer: :hammer:

:lol:

STUMP

dont hate yoruself. you have that really nifty turkey fan hat!!

wait a minute, i hate you too. dont know why, but i hate to see someone self-loathing without helping them out :thumbsup:

fowl_wishes
Forum & State Moderator

Postby yamaha783 » Fri May 25, 2007 7:46 pm

gun looks awesome!
yamaha783
hunter

Postby stumpjumper » Sat Jun 02, 2007 6:57 pm

Here are two more that I`ve recently done. The first was an old Glenfield model 778 out of PA and the second is a Benelli super black eagle for Martin here on DHC.

STUMP
stumpjumper
Forum & State Moderator

Postby fowl_wishes » Sat Jun 02, 2007 7:26 pm

and people harped on me for getting a SP10 painted :lol:

fowl_wishes
Forum & State Moderator

Postby Jeep » Wed Jun 06, 2007 2:46 pm

Thanks alot stumpjumper, because of you I'm looking for a new project now. Like I need another 0ne. If I can find an auto for cheap that isn't pretty, I'm gonna make it pretty. This thread got on another forum and I had to join to see other guns you've done. Nice work. If my future project comes out half as good as yours I'll be happy.
Jeep
hunter

Postby sigep538 » Sat Jun 09, 2007 11:13 pm

MAN!!!! THAT IS FRIGGEN AWSOME!! Sir you do have a gift when I get my replacment stocks in Im doing it thanks for sharing buddy! :drinking:
Be men for if we are not men we canot be brothers. Fall 96
Teal 5
Canada 1
Ruddy 1
Gadwall 2
Ring-necked 4
Canvasback 1
Mallard 1
Spoonie 2
tree rats 15
doves 1
dragonflies 2
Deer 1
sigep538
hunter

Postby DUCKSHOT » Sun Jun 10, 2007 10:21 am

Lookin really good!!! :thumbsup:
DUCKSHOT
hunter

Postby mydogearl » Wed Jun 27, 2007 10:51 pm

so i tried this on my mossy 935.....i used stumps method for the camo but i decided to give my gun the look of the new XCS lines remington came out with......i guess im just one big copier
Image[/img]
mydogearl
hunter

Postby fowl_wishes » Thu Jun 28, 2007 5:19 am

best lookin 935 i have ever seen :thumbsup:

fowl_wishes
Forum & State Moderator

PreviousNext

Return to Shotgun Forum