Steps to painting a shotgun (dial up users beware)

Share your questions on all makes and models of shotguns. Please post chokes questions in the SRBC forum

Moderators: Quack Wacker NC, MM

Postby otisd » Mon Oct 22, 2007 9:09 pm

Thanks stumpjumper ! The picture made it look better than it actually turned out or at least I think. I think the hardest part is getting the flow of the reeds started, after that the shading is not as bad. Overall the process is dead on I wouldn't change a thing. Just tring to think of something else to paint to pratice, I was going to do my boat blind but ran out of time before season started. I actually found all of the colors you said at Menards here in town I was surprised. Thank for putting this on here it was alot of fun.
otisd
hunter

Postby callinfowl » Mon Oct 29, 2007 4:53 am

I have been painting my guns for years and they hold up just as good as any camo dipped gun will ever hold up.

If for some reason you scratch it up .....you can fix it with a little dab or two. ( try fixxing a factory camo dipped gun ) :headbang:

Stump You my friend have taken the rattle can to another level.
WOW !
I was impressed with your boat painting ......Now shotguns !

You my friend have the talent it takes to become self employed.
I would let you do my guns and boats any day. :yes:
(this could be a nice side job for you to earn some extra bucks )

Both your boat and gun painting shows how much passion you have for our sport.
Your attention to detail is impressive. :cheers:

I have a yellow Lab will you paint him Max 4 for me. :rofl:

You do awesome work my friend.:bow: :uhhaa:

Totally impressed.........very nice work. :thumbsup:

Your friend .
Dan King :cheers:
Lifes to short to sweat the small crap !
Lighten up and have some fun ,before ya die !

Laugh at yourself and with others!!!!!
callinfowl
Forum Moderator

Postby DUCKSHOT » Mon Oct 29, 2007 8:10 pm

Well Stumpjumper here is the final product with a limbsaver recoil pad added.
For all who dont know, this is an 870 Express with a wooden stock.

DUCKSHOT
hunter

Postby fowl_wishes » Mon Oct 29, 2007 8:29 pm

:eek: Ya almost have to look twice to see the gun!!
Shoot'em close. Less to pick.

They might get my guns, but they'll get the bullets first !
fowl_wishes
Forum & State Moderator

Postby stumpjumper » Mon Oct 29, 2007 10:45 pm

Duckshot, I am very impressed my friend. You did an awsome job. From our conversations on the phone I knew you would give it all the extra detail needed. And it shows!!!! :thumbsup: It`s nice to see someone take the info provided and put a twist on it. Let me know how she holds up for you

CallinFowl, coming from you it means alot. Buisness :huh: unfortunitly I travel to much out of the country :no: :no:

STUMP
'Lord, hold our troops in your loving hands. Protect them as they protect us. Bless them and their families for the selfless acts they perform for us in our time of need. Amen..'
stumpjumper
Forum & State Moderator

Postby yellowlabs19 » Thu Nov 01, 2007 2:28 am

How hard is it to do an O/U. I have a stoeger that I would like to do. How much prep work? What all do I have to take off?
yellowlabs19
hunter

Postby Majja » Sun Nov 04, 2007 5:59 pm

Man those all look beautiful. I think with these instructions I am going to do my 870. After it is done I will post up the pics.

Thanks
Majja
Majja
hunter

Postby murray8144 » Mon Nov 05, 2007 4:03 pm

that look great, but do you think there's anything extra I need to do for a gun that came with a blued barrel and receiver?
murray8144
hunter

Postby stumpjumper » Mon Nov 05, 2007 7:01 pm

yellowlabs19 wrote:How hard is it to do an O/U. I have a stoeger that I would like to do. How much prep work? What all do I have to take off?

Doing an O/U is about the same as a regular shot gun. Before you disassymble it use a sharpie to mark where pieces come together so you know where to tape and paint to. Basically you are only looking to paint the exterior of the gun.

that look great, but do you think there's anything extra I need to do for a gun that came with a blued barrel and receiver?
The only thing you really need to pay attention to is the prep work on the blued area. Make sure to use either steel wool or some 600 grit sand paper to rough up the surface and wipe it down REAL good with acetone or alcohol WHILE WEARING RUBBER GLOVES!!!!

STUMP
'Lord, hold our troops in your loving hands. Protect them as they protect us. Bless them and their families for the selfless acts they perform for us in our time of need. Amen..'
stumpjumper
Forum & State Moderator

Postby antdawg » Fri Nov 09, 2007 8:50 pm

wow stump, me and my buddy painted my bps and got great results I think I wish I had pictures, imma try to get some up before next week took 2 days with a reddyheater for drying, looks good how does it hold up to water? rust? Though it would be easy but finished it at 5 IN THE MORNING worked threw the night, I like the finished product though.
antdawg
hunter

what to do next

Postby klwdesigns » Tue Nov 27, 2007 11:39 pm

I started with the grey primer. Then the tan base coat. I taped off the designs and painted the darker brown. I was trying to copy the desert camoflage pattern our military uses, but it's not working out right. The desert camo has about 5 different browns. I have the camo paints from Wally world, so I have black and green left. I like the pattern, but it doesn't seem finished. I don't know what to add. Any body have ideas? BTW, this is a Marlin model 60 .22 cal. This is my practice gun before I paint my 7mm. Hope you don't mind me jumpin into your shotgun forum.
klwdesigns
Newb

WOW! Also a question from a Newbie

Postby HugoBox » Tue Dec 04, 2007 1:12 pm

First off I have to say that I've always been proud of the fact that I've made a handful of decoys that I shoot over and I've handpainted all the store bought decoys I have as well as hand carved and painted bass and musky lures. That said, I've looked at the guns you guys painted and come to the conclusion that I'm merely an ametuer hack at best. The attention to detail is amazing. I have about a 10 year old Gold that has been used alot and have wanted to do something for quite som time.

While it is very well used its not totally beat to death but I'm wondering if I need to do anything special where the blueing has worn off?

I'm also thinking of trying a test run on a BPS 10 (synthetic) which would you say would be easier or better for a first run?

THanks to all - especially Stump for the step by step directions. I'm really excited about this project.
HugoBox
hunter

Re: WOW! Also a question from a Newbie

Postby stumpjumper » Tue Dec 04, 2007 10:07 pm

HugoBox wrote:While it is very well used its not totally beat to death but I'm wondering if I need to do anything special where the blueing has worn off?

Hugo, there is nothing really special you will need to do to the areas that the blue has come off. Just make sure to rough it up and CLEAN it good with acetone and wear rubber gloves to pevent oily contamination

STUMP
stumpjumper
Forum & State Moderator

Painted 870

Postby kingcrabbercurry » Sat Dec 08, 2007 4:17 pm

Well, Inspired by the guns I've seen in this thread, I decided to paint my Remington 870.

Here are some pictures:

This was pretty easy, I'd give it a 4 out of 10 on the difficulty scale. I have absolutely NO artistic ability WHATSOEVER, so don't let that deter you from undertaking this project.

Thanks to Stump for the awesome write-up, couldn't have done it without your help.
"Keep the wind at your back, your decoys pretty, and shoot 'em in the face."

2007-08 Season Totals:
Mallards - 4
Woodies - 13
Gadwall - 1
kingcrabbercurry
hunter

Postby stumpjumper » Sat Dec 08, 2007 4:25 pm

WAY TO GO KING!!!!!!!!!!! It looks like you did an awsome job. I hope your walking around with your chest out. Glad I could help. Now, after everything is said and done, do you look at your gun differently and with a new found respect? I know I do. Show that puppy off brother. You did GREAT!!!!!! Best of luck to you this season!!!!

STUMP
stumpjumper
Forum & State Moderator

Re: Painted 870

Postby fowl_wishes » Thu Dec 13, 2007 6:35 am

kingcrabbercurry wrote:Well, Inspired by the guns I've seen in this thread, I decided to paint my Remington 870.

Here are some pictures:

This was pretty easy, I'd give it a 4 out of 10 on the difficulty scale. I have absolutely NO artistic ability WHATSOEVER, so don't let that deter you from undertaking this project.

Thanks to Stump for the awesome write-up, couldn't have done it without your help.

Aint a dang thing wrong with that paint job!
Shoot'em close. Less to pick.

They might get my guns, but they'll get the bullets first !
fowl_wishes
Forum & State Moderator

Postby El Pato » Tue Dec 18, 2007 8:44 am

I'm very impressed.I have a Winchester Ranger with a blond stock that my kid shoots,looks like it should be a fence post.I was just going to spray it green or black but with the great step by step instructions you posted,I'm going for it your way,after season.I'll post pics as it will be a dramatic change.Thanks for the great info,hope mine comes out half as good.
El Pato
hunter

Postby MattS » Thu Dec 27, 2007 12:15 am

Thanks Stump! Great sticky, my buddy wanted me to paint his gun while I was doing decoy touch-ups. I saw this post and figured i would give it a try. His turned out so good i had to do mine! My Remington 11-87:

I tried to keep mine a little lighter in color, and used acrilic paints I had for the reeds. Great tutorial, I have a mossburg which is going to see a repaint next, and several other friends who want their guns done. My buddy was very pleased with how his turned out, he thought it was dipped at first. Great project.
MattS
hunter

Postby stumpjumper » Sun Dec 30, 2007 5:17 pm

MattS,

Brother, I think you did an awsome job there. Especially for your first try. The pattern has a nice contrast to it and the reeds look sweet. Hats off to you!!!!

STUMP
stumpjumper
Forum & State Moderator

Postby maseh2os » Sat Jan 05, 2008 2:15 am

Stump,

First, amazing job on those guns, I was just going to go with with a rattle can job on my gun and stop there, but this has definitely inspired me to take it a bit further.

Just one question though...when you get done with the paint job and you're going to clear coat it, are you taking the gun completely apart again and hanging each piece? Just wasn't totally sure on that and I don't want to mess up that part! Thanks.
maseh2os
Newb

Postby DiscoDuck » Tue Jan 08, 2008 11:19 am

Wow!!!! That is so cool. I'm getting a new rifle this week, and I'd like to give this a whirl. I may have to do my old 870 first for practice. But...by the terms of the warranty, I don't think I can remove the trigger assembly, etc. What do you think about doing some extra fine taping and doing the paint job while semi in-tact? I'm still nervous about roughing up a brand new barrel and receiver, so I may just do the stocks.

Also, my 870 has the matte finish. Is that rough enough or do you still need to steel wool it?
One more question! On the checkering, what do you use to sand it without taking off the checkering?
Thanks so much for the help and the instructions!! Awesome!
DiscoDuck
DiscoDuck
hunter

Postby stumpjumper » Wed Jan 09, 2008 11:58 am

Discoduck,

You should be fine doing some detailed taping and painting the semi intact. But I have a question for you. I understand you have a warrenty but EVENTUALY you are going to get trash up in the trigger assy. and have to clean itout. I don`t understand how taking the asy. apart will null the warrenty. Now if you took the assy. it`s self apart I can understand that. Give them a call and ask.

As for the matte finish. Just hit it with a little steel wool. That will help the paint stick better. As for the checkering, use 600 grit and lightly run it across the top of the checkering, then fold the sandpaper in half and lightly sand inbetween the checkering in the grooves. That will make the difference in the paint sticking.

Best of luck to you and take your time with the prep work.

STUMP
stumpjumper
Forum & State Moderator

Postby cusportsman » Tue Jan 15, 2008 7:02 am

thanks for the step by step instructions stump, after the season is over, i think i'm gonna give my gun a whirl, the only thing i'm worried about is painting the reeds and being able to make them look right, i also wish i could find the book on my gun so i take it apart correctly

i'll probably have a few questions as i get into this project
cusportsman
hunter

Postby Canned Heat » Mon Jan 28, 2008 1:59 pm

I'm a new member as of today and found this site simply by looking for ways to camo up a Rem 870 of mine. I can't tell you how jacked I am to start this project when the weather gets back to the plus side of 50 degrees up here. Pasted the link to 3 other hunting buddies all over the country and they're just a stoked as I am.

Stump, I have a hard time believing you couldn't turn this into a full-time business for yourself....who knows, maybe you have? Awesome work. Those are all literally works of art, to say the least. I'll be sure to post mine when I'm completed. Looking to somewhat replicate the Max 4 or Realtree APG patterns so I can use it for goose and gobblers, but don't know how carried away a guy can get from the basic waterfowl pattern when trying to add a few limbs and branches. Anyone that's used those typical base colors with an added touch of greenery/branches/etc..feel free to post your pics.

Take care.
Reality is a great place....I just wouldn't want to live there.
Canned Heat
hunter

Postby Gooshuntr74 » Mon Jan 28, 2008 9:49 pm

Does any one on here do this commercially? If so please get back to me with a price......Thanks
Gooshuntr74
hunter

PreviousNext

Return to Shotgun Forum