Wader Talk

Some of the best waterfowl hunting in the nation. Learn and share your experiences duck hunting in the Republic of Texas. From the Canada geese of the Panhandle to the Snows of Houston and estuaries for ducks on the coast and the livestock impoundments to the west.

Moderators: HENDU3270, whistlin_wings, DoubleBayou

Wader Talk

Postby DuckMendenhall » Mon Dec 02, 2013 3:10 pm

I am in the market for some hip or waist high waders, my Orvis waders finally gave out on me after 10 years. I am leaning towards waist high. I was looking at the Dry Plus Breathable from Cabela's. I would go with good ole rubber boots, but our water level is creeping about 20" right now.

Any feedback from users?
Tight lines...
DuckMendenhall
hunter

Re: Wader Talk

Postby Mojo281 » Mon Dec 02, 2013 5:00 pm

I'm kinda a fan of hip waders myself...

hip waders.jpg
Make em hate it!!
Mojo281
hunter

Postby Duck_Happy » Mon Dec 02, 2013 7:53 pm

Dont know what your selling mojo but ill buy it
Duck_Happy
hunter

Postby waterfowler0013 » Mon Dec 02, 2013 9:10 pm

I have the cabelas dry plus breathable and love them, mine are convertible from chest to waist high.
waterfowler0013
hunter

Postby SAHunter1983 » Mon Dec 02, 2013 9:44 pm

Sex sells Taj... Sex sells...

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk
SAHunter1983
hunter

Postby DuckMendenhall » Tue Dec 03, 2013 8:19 am

Mojo281 wrote:I'm kinda a fan of hip waders myself...

hip waders.jpg

Damn!
Tight lines...
DuckMendenhall
hunter

Postby Mugzwump » Tue Dec 03, 2013 8:32 am

I'm looking at Cabelas Supermag 1600's. I've heard mixed reviews on Cabelas waders though, something about boots splitting. Seems like they have the best warranty either way.

Mugz
Mugzwump
hunter

Postby Pintail-Peeler » Tue Dec 03, 2013 8:56 am

I've had my Cabelas waders for close to 5 years now and have never had a problem. I bought some from Gander once and I walked into a pretty good stick under the water and I had an icy leg that day. never had any problems with the cabelas one and its pretty durable. That's my 2 cents. :biggrin:
Gig 'Em
Adam

2013-2014 Strap:
Cans: 2
Bufflehead: 1
Redhead: 2
Mallard: 1
Gadwall: 13
Green Wing: 2
Spoony: 6
Pintail: 3
Ringneck: 5
mottled: 2
lesser scaup: 1
Pintail-Peeler
hunter

Postby MarkM » Tue Dec 03, 2013 10:03 am

Mugzwump wrote:I'm looking at Cabelas Supermag 1600's. I've heard mixed reviews on Cabelas waders though, something about boots splitting. Seems like they have the best warranty either way.

Mugz

The waders with the best warranty are from a company called USIA. I don't own a pair, yet, but I will after this season I think. Made in the USA as well.
possumfoot wrote:i cant remember who said it, but they said it best.. to a grown man, watching child birth is like a 9yo watching disney land burn to the ground..

Locked&Loaded wrote:
Indaswamp wrote:...metrosexual....

:lol3: I am!
MarkM
hunter

Postby CCducker » Wed Dec 04, 2013 8:21 am

Check out Lacrosse' waist waders I have heard good things as far as durability is concerned.
The Producers

People ask me what duck hunting is
I tell them its cold, its muddy, its bloody, and its early as hell in the morning....you will hate every second of it. Me? I love it...
CCducker
hunter

Postby Pouledeau » Wed Dec 04, 2013 9:13 am

... my name is Pouledeau ... and I personally approve of this thread.
Attachments
Waders.JPG
Pouledeau
hunter

Postby DuckMendenhall » Wed Dec 04, 2013 9:33 am

CCducker wrote:Check out Lacrosse' waist waders I have heard good things as far as durability is concerned.

Gander had some for $209...that is yet another brand I will consider...
Tight lines...
DuckMendenhall
hunter

Postby DuckMendenhall » Wed Dec 04, 2013 9:34 am

Pouledeau wrote:... my name is Pouledeau ... and I personally approve of this thread.

FO SHO!!!!
Tight lines...
DuckMendenhall
hunter

Postby CCducker » Wed Dec 04, 2013 10:59 am

Pouledeau wrote:... my name is Pouledeau ... and I personally approve of this thread.

I approve of her.... :eek:
The Producers

People ask me what duck hunting is
I tell them its cold, its muddy, its bloody, and its early as hell in the morning....you will hate every second of it. Me? I love it...
CCducker
hunter

Postby Pintail-Peeler » Wed Dec 04, 2013 11:04 am

Spot the fishing pole.....

I bet you cant find it for at least 5 minutes.
Gig 'Em
Adam

2013-2014 Strap:
Pintail-Peeler
hunter

Postby Pouledeau » Wed Dec 04, 2013 2:31 pm

Pintail-Peeler wrote:

I'm actually offended that they made her pose with that fishing pole. That's a duck hole all the way. Who uses an egg beater that big when there's that much vegetation in the water ... ?!?!?! :no:
Pouledeau
hunter

Postby MarkM » Wed Dec 04, 2013 2:48 pm

Pouledeau wrote:
Pintail-Peeler wrote:

I'm actually offended that they made her pose with that fishing pole. That's a duck hole all the way. Who uses an egg beater that big when there's that much vegetation in the water ... ?!?!?! :no:

Fishing Pole? Duck Hole? I don't see any of that. Now I would like to introduce my fishing pole to her duck hole, but that is a different subject...
possumfoot wrote:i cant remember who said it, but they said it best.. to a grown man, watching child birth is like a 9yo watching disney land burn to the ground..

Locked&Loaded wrote:
Indaswamp wrote:...metrosexual....

:lol3: I am!
MarkM
hunter

Postby Pintail-Peeler » Wed Dec 04, 2013 3:15 pm

MarkM wrote:
Pouledeau wrote:
Pintail-Peeler wrote:

Fishing Pole? Duck Hole? I don't see any of that. Now I would like to introduce my fishing pole to her duck hole, but that is a different subject...

:lol:
Gig 'Em
Adam

2013-2014 Strap:
Pintail-Peeler
hunter

Postby TexasGreenHead » Wed Dec 04, 2013 8:45 pm

Just ordered two pairs from Cabelas this week. They had some awesome deals on Cyber Monday (50% off on lots of pairs). I had a pair of the original Cabelas Brush Busters 15+ years ago, but went with several different Brands for the last 10 years. This years pair already leaking after 10 hunts. Like the Cabelas lifetime warranty against defects. We'll see.
TexasGreenHead
hunter

Postby Mugzwump » Fri Dec 06, 2013 11:55 pm

TexasGreenHead wrote:Just ordered two pairs from Cabelas this week. They had some awesome deals on Cyber Monday (50% off on lots of pairs). I had a pair of the original Cabelas Brush Busters 15+ years ago, but went with several different Brands for the last 10 years. This years pair already leaking after 10 hunts. Like the Cabelas lifetime warranty against defects. We'll see.

This is what I've been hearing. I'm afraid I hunt too hard for Cableas waders.

I've been using a 3.5mm neoprene pair from Cdn Tire for the last 3 years.. cost me $100. I've marine gooped them once this year along all the seams, due to some minor leaks. Otherwise they've held. That's less than $34 a year. I might stretch them another.

My buddy has the same pair and they've held the same. Some cheap stuff form China I'm sure, but they've held up. Warm up top but the boots are terrible.

I'm super apprehensive about waders. If the good ones leak, and the bad ones leak... I might as well buy the bad ones and goop 'em.

I'm interested in the 1600's from Cabelas on account of the warmth, but if they leak then whats the point?

Up here we have boot made by a company called Acton. They've been at it for years.

For the OP's question,
if you're not interested in warmth, going for waist high... the Acton boots are indestructible. As terribly comfortable as your average rubber boot.

My Acton hip waders have lasted over 15 years with no leaks.

My chest waders are some iExplore junk.

This thread needs more girls fishing.

Mugz.
Mugzwump
hunter

Postby Blackfoot Inc » Wed Dec 11, 2013 5:45 pm

Wow...need a cold shower a can of Cope after viewing this tread.

It's my first season hunting with Cabellas waders (1600 SuperMags) I'm not impressed, inseam is to short, no built in shell holder, no wadding belt, and the most frustrating thing is the shoulder straps continually slide down. Great warrantee tho.
I would recommend Hodgman 1200 DuraMag's, awesome wader, if only they still made a tall version.
Blackfoot Inc
hunter

Postby Mugzwump » Wed Dec 11, 2013 9:44 pm

Blackfoot Inc wrote:Wow...need a cold shower a can of Cope after viewing this tread.

It's my first season hunting with Cabellas waders (1600 SuperMags) I'm not impressed, inseam is to short, no built in shell holder, no wadding belt, and the most frustrating thing is the shoulder straps continually slide down. Great warrantee tho.
I would recommend Hodgman 1200 DuraMag's, awesome wader, if only they still made a tall version.

How are they for warmth? I'm not too interested in shell holders or pockets as I wear a heavy coat over my waders, so anything under that is virtually unreachable. I also wont wade more than hip deep, if I bail in the temps I hunt in, it's straight home for sure.

I've my eye on the supermags as they advertise them as the warmest on the market.

Mugz
Mugzwump
hunter

Postby Blackfoot Inc » Thu Dec 12, 2013 8:47 pm

Yes, they're warm. Hasn't been above freezing here for over a week. So far very durable to, I've put mine through some pretty serious conditions.
Blackfoot Inc
hunter

Postby Blackfoot Inc » Thu Dec 12, 2013 8:54 pm

One other thing the boots run big, I wear a 11 1/2 so I ordered size 12, feels more like a 13.
Blackfoot Inc
hunter

Postby The_Real_TCIII » Thu Dec 12, 2013 9:18 pm

I ordered a pair last night supermag 1600, can't wait to try them out in he late season
The_Real_TCIII
hunter

Next

Return to Texas Duck Hunting