Duck Hunting Forum banner

Let the Madness Begin

9K views 44 replies 17 participants last post by  PTROOFER FTFOWLER 
#1 ·
Looks like some serious weather coming....bang bang bang. Was able to get out with my dad on Saturday morning/afternoon & put 14 green on the ground, landed a group of 40-50 in the field & took 6 out of it, was a lot of fun! This week should rock assuming you're in the right place.

best of luck to everybody & be safe on the roads & rivers

#4 ·
Any one got any good tips for staying warm while standing on the bank of a river. Going to give it a bo this weekend, but most in the group are a little nervous about the cold. We typically just brush in a little spot on the bank. No real blinds to speak of.

Open to suggestions.

Hoping braving the cold will pay off with a boat full of birds!

#7 · (Edited by Moderator)
-24 today when we pulled out. Dress warm, stay dry, hope the boat doesn't break down when your a few miles downriver. All went well despite the distinct possibility I might lose the lower half of my ear. When shuttling guys up and down the river, pull stocking cap over your ears. When ducks are dropping in you tend to warm quickly. Make sure and read the signals your dog is sending you. Let him decide when the hunt is over.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1386299886.874005.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1386299925.372534.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1386299971.822401.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Attachments

#8 ·
4 above & 17 below but thankfully the sun was shining. Talk about a spectacle...just magical watching greenies drop out of the stratosphere trying to get where you are. Just awesome when they want to be where you are.Two days of madness, to continue elsewhere tomorrow & thru the weekend. Hopeful field hunts & more warm water sloughs

#10 ·
minus 28 this morn, but ended with 19 green, one drake greenwing )couldnt help myself :yes: ) and a mallard hen(after watching them shoot a box of shells I didnt begrudge them the hen). Not sure whats so hard about shooting backpeddling ducks at 20-25 yards but apperently it is. Hunting that long in that kind of cold was hard on the dog , but still done in a little over an hr. Ole moose was very happy to get in the truck. LOL

No photos allowed at this property by the help.

PTroofer- do you think someday you could take me to your honey hole???

#14 ·
Yea the blizzard put a damper on the hunting as well as driving most of the birds into ID
LOL you also saw me dump a drake gaddie with an increadable behind the shoulder shot so you couldnt shoot it....also as I recall I may have hinted about a blizzard coming and also asked if you wanted to throw decoys in the warm spring pond... which you declined to do

#15 ·
-24 out here this mornin. Set up on a spring-fed slough with a 15' circle of open water. 7 greenies in a little less than an hour. Nothing better than watchin birds set into that small of a hole. Love this time of year. Needless to say the dog was happy when the last bird hit the ice. :beer:

Attachments

#17 ·
Whoa I'm glad you guys are seeing some on that side of the divide. Even the sloughs that normally hold birds around here are iced over in this brutal cold. Most birds seem to have blown out on this cold front. Even the river is frozen all the way across. Sad hanging up the gear so early this year. At least there are still some geese around.

#22 · (Edited by Moderator)
Been loving the cold, -24 Saturday, two limits but camera froze.
Sunday -22
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1386643321.029929.jpg

Today a t shirt day, fifteen above zero
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1386643361.046419.jpg

Somebody was tired
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1386643394.996644.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1386643414.963494.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1386643430.263221.jpg

Attachments

#25 ·
Poor ole Moose just cant handle those temps anymore. This year will prob his last late season.

Ptroofer- the pile of emptys from yesterday would have been more impressive than the pile of birds :no:

I finally after 4 or 5 years got to see Ray lose his temper.....just wish he hadnt completly doused me with his jet as he was attempting to leave the hole first. Oh well It was only 22 below zero getting soaked is nothing. Let me tell ya. When your up to your waist in water and someone punches the throttle on a jet 5 feet in front of ya. You cant outrun the water. But on the plus side you get to watch the hi pressure wall of water come at you in slow motion.

#26 ·
Man you sure do embellish everything Paul. If I had hit you with the jet spray from five feet away I would have hit you on your waders. I was able to wait till you were ten feet away so I hit you with fifty gallons of water in the upper chest and face area. Was trying to do you a favor since the water was warmer then the air temp.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.