New to bird hunting, Helena area

From Pintails to Mallards, share your Montana duck hunting stories here in the land of the Big Sky country.

Moderator: Lawdog

New to bird hunting, Helena area

Postby BigBlueLab » Tue Dec 03, 2013 11:31 am

Hi,
Im not new to hunting, but new to bird hunting. I will be home (From 5+ years in Afghanistan) in a couple weeks and would like to
give this a go. I have a 9 mos old Silver Lab and a 12 week Choc that needs time with an experienced dog as well. Any advice or help would be appreciated. Thanks in advance,,, Don
Attachments
Bourbon.JPG
BigBlueLab
hunter

Re: New to bird hunting, Helena area

Postby OGblackcloud » Tue Dec 03, 2013 3:30 pm

That's a good lookin pup ,looks like he`s going to be a big one.
OGblackcloud
hunter

Postby BigBlueLab » Wed Dec 04, 2013 10:02 am

He is almost 9 mos now and 90+lbs and growing. Both parents were big dogs.
BigBlueLab
hunter

Postby Lawdog » Wed Dec 04, 2013 10:53 am

Don, welcome to the board and welcome home. Thanks for all you have done.

Good lookin pup.
Rest in Peace, Ryder. Boy, you went before your time, in the start of your prime. You were loyal and are missed.

~ 4 March 2013.
Lawdog
State Moderator

Postby OGblackcloud » Wed Dec 04, 2013 5:27 pm

Did he come from a breeder ?
OGblackcloud
hunter

Postby ten lb test » Wed Dec 04, 2013 8:40 pm

Not sure what you are asking , we have a gun dog club here, Helena Valley Gun Dog Club, we will start training in late Jan. or Feb when the weather gets decent. Our training schedule will be posted on our site <helenagundog.com>. Also, we will be giving a retriever demo. at the sport show here the last weekend in Feb. We would love to have you come train & will help where we can. Pete
ten lb test
hunter

Postby BigBlueLab » Wed Dec 04, 2013 11:20 pm

Thanks to all who replied on here. I can't put in to words what it feels like to come home to Montana. I will def be in contact with Helena Valley Gun Dog Club. The dog (Bourbon) came from Duckflat Labrador Retrievers out of Oregon. I made the drive over and checked out his dogs and kennel. The owner / trainer there is great and Bourbon seems to have great genetics when it comes to pointing, retrieving, and overall health. I have trained LE dogs and hounds before, but never a retriever. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Looking forward to being home and getting some good hunting in with some good folks (And good dogs). Don
BigBlueLab
hunter

Postby phutch30 » Fri Dec 06, 2013 2:43 pm

id take up ten lb test's offer.
....its like taking x-lax when you have a bad cough. It wont clear up your lungs, but it sure stops you from coughing
phutch30
hunter

Postby BigBlueLab » Thu Dec 12, 2013 6:58 pm

Thanks for the info. I did check out that website. I made it home finally. Feels good to be away from there and even better to be back in Montana! If anyone doesnt mind letting my pup get some time with a trained dog, I would be greatly appreciative. Im out here by Hauser and a lot of shooting going on in the fields near my house. A lot of birds flying. Any advice on anything needed is appreciated. Maybe somewhere to go just to get my dog in the water chasin' a dummy. Thanks, Don
BigBlueLab
hunter

Postby Rat Fink » Fri Dec 13, 2013 12:49 pm

There's a great training area off Eagle Bay Drive. I train my dogs there. There are some small ponds for puppies and the reservoir right there. Plenty of room for dryland training too. It's a big chunk of either BLM or BOR land. It's the tailwater below Canyon ferry so the main lake never freezes there. Good luck.
Rat Fink
hunter

Postby Force Fetch » Fri Dec 13, 2013 2:51 pm

Rat, is that out by the golf course where they hold the NAHRA Tests?
Force Fetch
hunter

Postby BigBlueLab » Fri Dec 13, 2013 5:21 pm

Thanks. I was below Canyon Ferry Dam today. Im sure I can find it.
BigBlueLab
hunter

Postby ten lb test » Fri Dec 13, 2013 8:20 pm

The area is BLM land acquired from McMasters. It is not near Lake Helena where we run NAHRA tests. But is an area we use for training in the summer. Just be sure your dog is under control as there has been a statement that only dogs on leads can be there. Pete
ten lb test
hunter

Postby ten lb test » Fri Dec 13, 2013 8:30 pm

Being a really old guy it takes a while to remmeber stuff, but I remmeberd that there is now a sign posted saying dogs on lead only. I assume there may have been a problem & we really need this place to train as water for training in the Helena Valley is very limited. I would not hesitate to train especially with an e-collar on the dog. Pete
ten lb test
hunter

Return to Montana Duck Hunting