What the...?? Need some help

For those who enjoy duck hunting in the fields, this is the place.

Moderator: Skyblaster7

What the...?? Need some help

Postby BrowningBlaster » Wed Dec 04, 2013 6:10 am

I hunted my corn field yesterday for geese like usual, and I crushed them. Along with all the geese, I had an unusual amount of ducks coming by. I had flocks of 10-50 circling me, and nothing would commit. I do know that ducks will land with geese, at one point I had 2 geese cupped and committed, with 2 mallards cupped and committed behind them. I shot the geese as I was there to hunt geese 1st, ducks second. I will always hunt geese 1st on this field , I would like to know how to get the ducks to commit, without messing up the geese. I have never feild hunted ducks before, I hunt them couple times a week on big water. I would say I had a total of 200-300 ducks in total come look at me. I'm going to hit it again on Friday, need some help! Thanks.
Snow Goose Triple Digit Member
BrowningBlaster
hunter

Re: What the...?? Need some help

Postby 23yearsago » Wed Dec 04, 2013 7:12 am

Spin wing would likely drop 'em right in.......but that'll screw your goose killin' too if you forget to turn it off and take it down.

I've had the same experience lately and I too prefer to shoot geese,, but I recently found out that the land owner enjoys eating mallard breast......so I'm gonna try to kill a few mallards my next time out.
I won't go the spin wing route,, but the big brown truck should be stopping today and I should have my new mallard shells for the next hunt.
Now I just hope the birds we have stay,, there's a big snow weather system coming at us for the weekend.
23yearsago
hunter

Postby BrowningBlaster » Wed Dec 04, 2013 11:17 am

I have not had success in the past with mojo's and geese in water. I am not even convinced they work that great with ducks. I am sure they have there place, but I haven't found it!
BrowningBlaster
hunter

Postby tornadochaser » Wed Dec 04, 2013 11:57 am

Spinners in a cornfield are like crack on unpressured ducks.

Were you flagging or calling the ducks at all? Or just letting them move on so you could shoot geese?

Sent from my DROID Pro using Tapatalk 2
tornadochaser
hunter

Postby BrowningBlaster » Wed Dec 04, 2013 4:52 pm

I was flagging for the geese. The ducks were coming on their own, within 50 yards, but not committing in the bigger flocks. I will bring my mojo, and give it a try if no geese, but that is usually not the case. I did try to call to the ducks, using duck call and goose call, neither had any effect. This look like it could be alot of fun, just would like to figure them out without scarring the geese. How do you call the ducks in a field with no duck decoys, and only geese? Duck or Goose call? Should I use my black flag still, or do you have a different color for mallards? Again I am not planning on putting my mallard decs out, unless someone tells me I'm wrong and it won't mess with the geese. Thanks.
BrowningBlaster
hunter

Postby tornadochaser » Wed Dec 04, 2013 8:05 pm

Set your spinner up right behind your blind so you can reach up and turn it off when geese approach.

tornadochaser
hunter

Postby Boocephus » Thu Dec 05, 2013 7:44 am

I have had luck killing ducks and geese together in a cut corn field. I just put out my normal spread of goose dekes, and the duck dekes kind've off to the side. Get em while ya can. :thumbsup:
Boocephus
hunter

Postby BrowningBlaster » Thu Dec 05, 2013 6:53 pm

Thanks for your help, going out in the morning.
BrowningBlaster
hunter

Postby Black Smoke » Fri Dec 06, 2013 7:46 am

I field hunt almost exclusively for ducks and geese unless I am chasing divers. I am going to tell you exactly what I use in a field just so you can compare. I have 5 dz full body FFD Tanglefree lessers (standard) decoys, 4 dz FFD Tanglefree full body mallards and run anywhere from 1-4 mojos and one of those wing thangs. The past weekend I changed it up a little and didn't put out any duck full bodies and instead put 2 mojos out because we were hunting over grass and a frozen pond behind us. The ducks that did come by sucked right in. Now, if you are going to set duck decoys with goose decoys then set the ducks around your blind or in front because geese with fly over ducks but ducks do not prefer to land over geese. The biggest thing you have to have in mind in the end is to think how the birds work in a field. I learned this from going snow goose hunting one year; birds try to get ahead of the other in the field. So in other words, they are moving into the wind and the birds approaching will want to land upwind of the rest and the ones that are already on the ground on the downwind side of the spread will tend to hop up and try to get ahead of the rest. I know there is a difference in honker hunting,ducks, and snows but I have done what is mentioned above for the past 3 years and its never failed me. Like someone else mentioned the mojos are like crack in a field for ducks and I don't have remotes on my mojos so I too put them right behind me so I can hop up and turn them off. Good Luck!
Black Smoke
hunter

Postby tornadochaser » Fri Dec 06, 2013 8:01 am

Ducks will land anywhere and everywhere in a goose spread. This fall we had to run the blinds 20 yards upwind of the decoys because the ducks for 2 weeks consistently wanted to land upwind of the goose decoys.

tornadochaser
hunter

Postby BrowningBlaster » Sun Dec 08, 2013 3:34 pm

Thanks for all the help. We went out, and only seen 5 mallards. The ducks must have moved out of here with the storm front pushing thru. Our season has closed today, but will use this info for future hunts. Good hunting, and have fun!
BrowningBlaster
hunter

Postby BrowningBlaster » Sun Jan 05, 2014 8:22 pm

Crushed the ducks and geese today! Thanks guys! 2 Mojos and some mallard decoys along with my normal goose spread. Good Times!
BrowningBlaster
hunter

Return to Field Duck Hunting