Goose Pond FWA

Discuss hunting regulations to the Indiana duck hunting.

Moderators: northzoneguy, nitrousneil, badbowtie

Goose Pond FWA

Postby billcollector7 » Wed Dec 04, 2013 7:21 pm

I'm planning a trip to hunt goose pond in a couple weeks. This will be my 4th year heading down after the North zone closes. Just wondered If goose pond was holding many birds right now?? I appreciate any help and would love to hear any tips on GP as I've never had much luck. Thanks In advance and happy hunting. Mallards and geese are on their way!!
billcollector7
hunter

Re: Goose Pond FWA

Postby Greenheadindy » Thu Dec 05, 2013 10:46 am

Goose pond will be frozen solid in a couple weeks if this keeps up. That only leaves fields, which I've never hunted. You may be better off finding some open water or not making the trip. I suppose some of the channels may be open, but goose pond freezes easy. Pm me if you have specific questions.
Nice marmot
Greenheadindy
hunter

Postby cam liden » Fri Dec 06, 2013 11:28 am

Central zone is closes this Sunday and re opens dec 22. So make sure you don't come down between then. But ya gp will definitely be frozen after next week
cam liden
hunter

Postby 18javelin » Sat Dec 07, 2013 5:03 am

Goose pond was froze solid after 2 night of below freezing temps. 3/4 inch of ice that was a week ago. very few open water spots. like 2 on the whole place. we hunted till 830 and left it was impossible to break ice in our unit the water was to deep and mud to thick to stand and break it.
Underradar wrote:Well, its sad really. One day he's happily posting pics of road killed coyotes he posed as if he shot them, the next, he's stomped down the shower drain like a soft turd.
18javelin
hunter

Postby billcollector7 » Sat Dec 07, 2013 8:38 pm

Yeah I was afraid of it freezing up. I was planning on coming down the 4th & 5th of January but unless we get some unseasonably high temperatures looks like I'll be ice fishing instead. I've also heard about turtle creek? I've tried to do some research on it and I see its a cooling lake for a generating station? Would that be worth a try late season? I was also wondering if turtle creek provided blinds or if a huntable boat was needed?
billcollector7
hunter

Postby gunner343 » Sat Dec 07, 2013 9:29 pm

Turtle Creek doesn't have blinds. It's all stake hunting, must hunt within the set distance from the stake, but they are liberal as far as coming out and measuring....usually if you're within a 100 yards you'll be good. And you will need a boat, a good boat. a 12 footer won't cut it there, especially if the wind is kicking out. Max HP is 10, however I've seen guys use 15's to 50's with no one saying anything. The stakes on the fingers can be good, but if its cold out, like now, they may be iced over. Stick to the main lake stakes. Hope this helps....
gunner343
Newb

Postby william costa » Sun Dec 08, 2013 4:22 pm

turtle creek changed rule to any horse power but idle only on bigger than 10
william costa
hunter

Postby billcollector7 » Sun Dec 08, 2013 8:15 pm

thanks for the info guys. I appreciate it. Is turtle creek wadable at all and is there a limit on how many guys you can have in your hunting party? Would any of you guys happen to have a Phone # or website address that I would be able to get some more info on turtle creek that would be great. Thanks again for your help
billcollector7
hunter

Postby motoking_1990 » Tue Dec 31, 2013 6:03 pm

Its wadable. Most of the lake is shallow. Went there today no birds. Goose pond is frozen. Its shallow there too.

Sent from my C811 4G using Tapatalk
motoking_1990
hunter

Return to Indiana Duck Hunting