Word of the Day, December 5, 2013, Matthew 18:15-19

For discussions about the spiritual things in ones life.

Moderators: gracenjohn, Preacher1011, La. Hunter

Word of the Day, December 5, 2013, Matthew 18:15-19

Postby timf » Thu Dec 05, 2013 8:03 am

Word of the Day, December 5, 2013

“ You can spend your whole life, Chasin what's missing, But that empty inside. It just ain't gonna listen. When nothing can satisfy, and the world leaves you high and dry, Just come to the well. Leave it all behind.”

Matthew 18:15-19

15 Moreover if thy brother shall trespass against thee, go and tell him his fault between thee and him alone: if he shall hear thee, thou hast gained thy brother.

16 But if he will not hear thee, then take with thee one or two more, that in the mouth of two or three witnesses every word may be established.

17 And if he shall neglect to hear them, tell it unto the church: but if he neglect to hear the church, let him be unto thee as an heathen man and a publican.

18 Verily I say unto you, Whatsoever ye shall bind on earth shall be bound in heaven: and whatsoever ye shall loose on earth shall be loosed in heaven.

19 Again I say unto you, That if two of you shall agree on earth as touching any thing that they shall ask, it shall be done for them of my Father which is in heaven.

Has this happened to you were someone is talking about you and you get hurt or mad? We don’t like it do we? How about when we do the same thing to other people? We know how it feels yet we still do it ourselves. I had a very wise man that was a volunteer for a prison ministry and he takes it one step farther when he is with more than 3 people. He doesn’t even speak good about the person because it usually ends up turning out badly and someone will start talking bad or sharing an issue or a sin about that person and it goes from good to bad real quickly. Someone always has a problem with somebody.

What part of the Bible do we not understand? Do we just pick the good verses? Do we say God led me to talk about someone else because it might be helpful for someone else. Nothing good comes from this. The word clearly tells us what to do when someone trespasses against us. Go and tell them alone. Talk it out, work it out between the two of you and not everybody in the town, church, work, school or all over social media.

Christ is speaking about our brothers and sisters in Him. Does not matter what religion they are in, how well you know them, they are part of the family of Christ, the church. We are told to love our sisters and brother. Talking about them or them talking badly about us is against everything the Bible commands us to do. Got a problem with someone, go to them and resolve it and stop telling other people.

We are told by Jesus Christ to talk to them directly and if that does not work then go to two or three and discuss this and try to resolve. Not to keep spreading the rumors or the issues to people via email, text, writing a book, in a pray meeting or one on one. Strife is forbidden according to the word. Let’s take this even further, how does talking about other people show non-believer Christ in our lives? IT DOESN’T! This is more important than if we are hurt or mad, we are to be the salt and the light of the earth.

This message from Christ fits into the context of church discipline. It is threefold: go and tell them, if that does not work then get two or three witnesses and if not still resolve, tell it unto the church. This need not to be done in a vindictive manner. Failure to not speak up is dishonest and will lead to us holding grudges, angry and bitterness.

I want to really point out that we are all guilty of this and have also had it happen to us. We need to stop doing it to other brothers and sisters and if offend ourselves, we need to go to them directly and try to resolve. Let’s take the first step today, stop talking about anybody and if someone is doing the same to you, then go to them.

The teaching of forgiveness seemed to overwhelm the disciples (Peter asking Christ in verse 21) and even us still today. We need to ask the Holy Ghost to led us to stop this sinful habit of talking about other people and to ask for the ability to forgive those that have sinned against us too. What we agree to here on earth as touching and asking of our LORD, shall be done for them of our Father which is in heaven. SO ASK! If two can agree, then that shall form a christian fellowship. Two believers praying together is far more honour unto God than two brothers in strife with each other and is a better testimony of Christ in our lives for non-believers.

Verse 22 says: “ I say not unto thee, Until seven times, but until seventy times seven.” We need to forgive those that have hurt us, cause the pain, the suffering 70 x 7 times. That is 490 times. We need to just give it over and come to the well and leave it all behind.

“ And now that you're full. Of love beyond measure, your joy's gonna flow, like a stream in the desert. Soon all the world will see that living water is found in me, Cuz you came to the well.”

Timothy Furness
timf
hunter

Return to Faith-Spirituality