Weather advisory saturday?

Plenty of Washington duck hunting information to learn and share from the Pugent sound to the open plains of eastern WA. Discuss all of the Washington duck hunting topics here.

Moderators: Token, washingtonmuley, brokerbyduck, h2ofowlr

Weather advisory saturday?

Postby Fowler870 » Thu Dec 05, 2013 6:28 pm

It is supposed to be -25 with the windchill Saturday in the Tri-Cities. I have been hearing advisories to limit the amount of time spend outside to very short periods because of frostbite. So looks like I wont be hunting since it is deemed unsafe... Anyone else been hearing this news? :fingerhead:
"If I have time to miss it twice, I would have had time to hit it once."
Fowler870
hunter

Re: Weather advisory saturday?

Postby brokerbyduck » Fri Dec 06, 2013 12:10 am

Yep, looks pretty darned cold this weekend. Wish my full body mallards were gonna be here in time, there's gonna be a lot of ice.
"To alcohol! The cause of, and solution to, all of life's problems." Homer Simpson
Beware the ghetto lean!
brokerbyduck
State Moderator

Postby h2ofowlr » Fri Dec 06, 2013 8:50 am

Might be a good weekend to get X'mas stuff ready indoors. :yes: I will be out for a few hours first thing in the morning. :thumbsup:
h2ofowlr
State Moderator

Postby Jesse Jaymes » Fri Dec 06, 2013 10:03 am

Been cold up here all week. Was hoping to get out but a sand filled clit prevented me. Lots frozen. Saw piles of divers this week. Take a bit of diesel and effort to set up on them. I may burn some vacation time mid next week if the sun even comes back out up here.
Jesse Jaymes
hunter

Postby ScaupHunter » Fri Dec 06, 2013 11:52 am

Bella and I will be hunting first thing every morning for an hour or two. The divers are moving in thick. With everything frozen up the puddlers will be working the Big C hot and heavy. Should be quick shoots then home to finish painting some Brant, Common Mergansers, Hooded Mergansers, and more Bufflehead foamers.
Bella's
Decoy Setting Pro Staff
Boat Operator Pro Staff
Duck Shooting Pro Staff
Warm Towel Pro Staff
Snack Supply Pro Staff

He works for free! Who's the B now?
ScaupHunter
hunter

Postby jedijon » Fri Dec 06, 2013 5:46 pm

Spillway from Moses Lake to potholes is nearly frozen. Long ice ledges on all banks and floes in the shallow areas. Getting difficult to launch boats safely (I use an inflatable kayak - but everybody needs to transition from the ice to the water as the banks are pretty universally frozen) and of course the ice shelf puts the dekes pretty far out away from the hunter's cover.

Going to be looking at Crab Creek an maybe layout on the main lake [first year hunter...not like I've got any long lines for deep water yet...].

Probably skipping Saturday but I'm bringing an axe and a chainsaw to have some influence on the configuration of the ice shelf on Sunday.
10 Teal, 6 Mallard, 5 Shoveler, 4 Pintail, 3 Coot, 1 Widgeon, 1 Bufflehead, 1 Canadian Goose, 1 Hooded Merganser
jedijon
hunter

Postby brokerbyduck » Fri Dec 06, 2013 7:30 pm

I hunted today and broke out the heater for the first time this year. It was straight up cold today with a very slight wind.
Tomorrow may be brutal.
"To alcohol! The cause of, and solution to, all of life's problems." Homer Simpson
Beware the ghetto lean!
brokerbyduck
State Moderator

Postby jedijon » Tue Dec 10, 2013 5:37 pm

How did everybody do over the cold weekend?

I got skunked Monday, but have been making very short first-light-only hunts to crab creek and have a few birds to show for it over the past three days. Mostly pintail.

There's about 1,000,000 geese by the fill/Walmart in Moses Lake.
10 Teal, 6 Mallard, 5 Shoveler, 4 Pintail, 3 Coot, 1 Widgeon, 1 Bufflehead, 1 Canadian Goose, 1 Hooded Merganser
jedijon
hunter

Postby ScaupHunter » Tue Dec 10, 2013 5:40 pm

It was hammertime on the Big C on the left side of the state. Puddler and diver mixed bags. Tons of birds moving and working throughout the mornings. Beautiful sunrises with lots of retrives for Bella, good times in the boat and blind. Hours spent with good friends. Not much better in the world than that.
Bella's
Decoy Setting Pro Staff
Boat Operator Pro Staff
Duck Shooting Pro Staff
Warm Towel Pro Staff
Snack Supply Pro Staff

He works for free! Who's the B now?
ScaupHunter
hunter

Postby Fowler870 » Wed Dec 11, 2013 5:14 pm

Hunted sunday morning and it was the first time all year that I have seen a ton of new big mallards that were working just the way I like :bow:
"If I have time to miss it twice, I would have had time to hit it once."
Fowler870
hunter

Postby h2ofowlr » Wed Dec 11, 2013 5:26 pm

It was like 11 F on Saturday. The bird hunting was great. The birds decoyed very well.
h2ofowlr
State Moderator

Postby aaronoto » Wed Dec 11, 2013 7:15 pm

I chose to walk some ditches and ended up one short of a limit. I should have brought my upland vest, I wasn't expecting to be toting that many back to the truck :biggrin:
aaronoto
hunter

Postby Tuxedocoot » Thu Dec 12, 2013 1:01 am

LOL it was - 8 to 12 in eastern and geese galore LOL
Pro Staff = Your someone's "B" for their profit, Sucker fish
Tuxedocoot
hunter

Return to Washington Duck Hunting