Oh the Ringnecks!

A waterfowl discussion forum focusing on Kansas duck hunting.

Moderators: T Man, Mallyard, cluckmeister, yellowlab, dukhntr

Oh the Ringnecks!

Postby T Man » Fri Dec 06, 2013 8:12 am

We hunted ahead of the front yesterday and good lord, I have never seen so many ringnecks. Normally a group of 3 or 4 will buzz a spread like Teal, but there were more than I had ever seen. We saw thousands of birds and I would say more than 60% were ringnecks. Anyone else seeing all these birds? We normally pass on them because they are such a bear to clean, but they definitely saved our hunt yesterday.
Botiz630 wrote:How much does an apostrophe cost down south? Must be quite a bit, based on how sparingly you use them.
T Man
Super Moderator

Re: Oh the Ringnecks!

Postby 007 » Sat Dec 07, 2013 5:30 am

We had a few early in the season. I'm with you - normally I don't shoot them because cleaning them is such a pain. The best way I've found is to pluck the breast feathers and just filet them through the skin, then leave the skin on or try and slice it off cleanly. Anyone else have any cleaning tips for ringnecks?

hunter

Postby TBS » Sat Dec 07, 2013 7:23 am

the best advice i can give you is not to shoot them.......but that's just me and I've been called a mallard snob before. :lol3:
IF I AGREED WITH YOU, WE'D BOTH BE WRONG.
TBS
hunter

Postby radfordc » Sat Dec 07, 2013 9:46 am

After you pluck the breast make a small cut in the loose skin at the base of the neck. Slide your thumbs under the skin and loosen the skin as much as you can. Then slit the skin down the middle of the breast and carefully cut the skin away from the meat with a sharp filleting knife. Once you get down about halfway on the breast the skin comes off much easier. I use this method on Goldeneyes and they are just as bad as Blackjacks to skin.
radfordc
hunter

Postby 007 » Sat Dec 07, 2013 7:36 pm

I agree with you TBS! I try not to.
Thanks for the advice Radford, I'll try that next time.
hunter

Postby RichinKS » Thu Dec 19, 2013 2:55 pm

Saw nothing but ringnecks and gaddies at an area pond this morning before work. Had to be a quick hunt so I could make it to work by 9. Had my six by 7:35, 5 gaddies, one ringneck. Cleaned the gaddies (reluctantly), but left the ringneck for the cats. Would have preferred mallards, but still a pretty damn good way to start the workday.
RichinKS
hunter

Postby RichinKS » Thu Dec 19, 2013 2:58 pm

Lest anyone would think I am promoting wasting downed birds, I should have added that I left the ringneck for the cats only after I butchered the damn thing trying to get the skin off to breast it. Never had much success cleaning 'em. And this one had skin that seemed to be glued on.
RichinKS
hunter

Postby WhackinanStackin » Wed Feb 12, 2014 10:35 am

Earlier this season, a hunt on a sandpit we had a 4 man limit and of the 24, 17 were ringnecks and the other 7 were redheads..... such a fun day of cleaning that was! But usually I leave the blackjacks and dont shoot them but when that is all that is decoying... I couldnt resist. 15 yards, flocks of 20 ofem, fun to shoot not to clean!
WhackinanStackin
hunter

Return to Kansas Duck Hunting