Sneakboat anyone?

From Pintails to Mallards, share your Montana duck hunting stories here in the land of the Big Sky country.

Moderator: Lawdog

Sneakboat anyone?

Postby darcher » Fri Dec 06, 2013 3:43 pm

I was wondering if anyone is interested in making a 12' traditional sneakboat. Although I enjoy my 14' duck boat, I had my best hunting earlier in the season from an old 12-foot pram on Freezeout Lake and another spot. Shallow water rowing offered me a good alternative to motoring. A 12-foot sneakboat is still set up for motoring, however. My layout boat works great, and it too has oars and a mountable transom for an electric motor, but by the time I add the battery and stow the electric motor, it is a bit tight.

Building a mold is expensive in itself, which I why I sure would like to find someone who would like to build a sneakboat and share the mold cost.

If someone is looking for a 10' fiberglass layout boat with oar set up and a motor mount that can be removed, contact me. Before inquiring look at the Mighty Layout Boys website so you don't go into sticker shock. My layout boat comes with a removable blind and a large opening door for my retriever to get in and out. I have enclosed a couple of photographs.
Attachments
boat-2.jpg
boat-2.jpg (78.86 KiB) Viewed 875 times
darcher
hunter

Re: Sneakboat anyone?

Postby darcher » Fri Dec 06, 2013 3:47 pm

Here is a shot of a friend who built his layout boat off my mold. My own boat has a motor mount and rowing set up.
Attachments
lay6.jpg
lay6.jpg (69.94 KiB) Viewed 871 times
darcher
hunter

Postby phutch30 » Fri Dec 06, 2013 4:13 pm

whats the 10' footer weigh in at?
....its like taking x-lax when you have a bad cough. It wont clear up your lungs, but it sure stops you from coughing
phutch30
hunter

Postby darcher » Fri Dec 06, 2013 6:39 pm

The layout boat is heavy at 110 pounds, but it is strong:) It has a 5-inch recessed floor, which tapers up to the nose. From the waterline to the cockpit combing is eleven inches. (16" for the hunter laying on the floor in the recessed area.) With the camoflauged aluminum frame to hide my head and the dog, the height is about 20-inches. The frame is easily removed for hunting open water. I used it one season on Klamath Lake, Oregon, and the ducks drop right in. However, it is not designed for big, open water without a tender standing by. I decided not to to use it at Freezeout for safety reasons against wind and waves. In Oregon I loaded it on the deck of an 18-foot boat and motored to my targeted area.
darcher
hunter

Postby phutch30 » Fri Dec 06, 2013 8:02 pm

can u post a couple pics without the camo on it
....its like taking x-lax when you have a bad cough. It wont clear up your lungs, but it sure stops you from coughing
phutch30
hunter

Postby darcher » Fri Dec 06, 2013 11:13 pm

Yeah, here is a shot of when it was clean. The un-painted hooks were for draping a net. I never used them.
Attachments
Layout2.jpg
darcher
hunter

Return to Montana Duck Hunting