Boat registration

Plenty of Washington duck hunting information to learn and share from the Pugent sound to the open plains of eastern WA. Discuss all of the Washington duck hunting topics here.

Moderators: Token, washingtonmuley, h2ofowlr, brokerbyduck

Boat registration

Postby greatwhite » Fri Dec 06, 2013 8:22 pm

I read online about the Washington boat registration laws, but I want to be sure I am reading them correctly. You do not have to have a title for your boat or have it registered if it has less than a 10 hp motor? For example, I can duck hunt with a sneak boat with a 4 hp outboard with no registration? Also, if I am interpreting that incorrectly, is it possible to register a boat if you buy it from someone and only receive a bill of sale? Sorry for all of the questions, but thanks in advance for the help.
greatwhite
hunter

Re: Boat registration

Postby ShaqDiesel » Fri Dec 06, 2013 8:31 pm

In lakes and what not, I think your right, but its different in federally navigable waters, IE salt water.
One Shot Wonder...
ShaqDiesel
hunter

Postby northern hunter » Fri Dec 06, 2013 8:34 pm

If you are in navigable waters, that is all salt, Columbia, Pend Orielle river, and others, If you have any motor even electric your boat must be reg. and have numbers/tags
northern hunter
hunter

Postby greatwhite » Fri Dec 06, 2013 9:20 pm

Thanks for the info. Does anyone have experience trying to register a boat that was bought from someone with just a bill of sale. Boat has never been registered before (always paddled).
greatwhite
hunter

Postby northern hunter » Fri Dec 06, 2013 9:32 pm

I built the my duckboat a couple years ago and I had to make up a serial number a secure it to the back and brought the reciepts in and they made me a title and reg. so if the boat has an id number it should be on the back right side or make one and the bill of sale should be enough or they will let you know what else they need.
northern hunter
hunter

Postby brad0861 » Sat Dec 07, 2013 1:05 am

I believe the law states that if the boat is under 13 ft and 10 hp it doesn't have to be registered unless in federal waters. If all you have is a bill of sale just contact the DMV and they will give you the paper work and contacts to get the boat a registration and valid VIN. I had to do it on my trailer for my boat and the process was not too hard.
brad0861
hunter

Postby greatwhite » Sat Dec 07, 2013 10:22 am

Thanks for the replies. The boat has a VIN number scratched into the boat, but it was never registered and the gentleman doesn't have the original paperwork. Just curious what kind of headache I am looking at trying to register the boat. In Georgia, it was just a crap shoot on who you spoke with, as our registration went through the DNR.
greatwhite
hunter

Postby somethinsmellsfishy » Sat Dec 07, 2013 12:03 pm

greatwhite wrote:Thanks for the replies. The boat has a VIN number scratched into the boat, but it was never registered and the gentleman doesn't have the original paperwork. Just curious what kind of headache I am looking at trying to register the boat. In Georgia, it was just a crap shoot on who you spoke with, as our registration went through the DNR.

I bought a boat without a registration and had to file for lost reg and could not sell the boat for three years. Something about that being time enough for someone else to find that boat if it had been stolen, or the boat had been lost and recovered by the selling party.

After fixing it up and holding it for three years I sold it and have never heard one more thing about it.
I also just had a bill of sale from the person I bought it from.

Fishy
somethinsmellsfishy
hunter

Postby StanwoodSpartan » Sun Dec 08, 2013 1:38 am

I am dealing with the same thing, only the seller is in CA and I am trying to register the Momarsh Fatboy up here since I am running a motor on it in the salt. Trying to figure out what the state actually needs is half the trouble, rounding it all up is the easy part.
Shoot a goose, save a plane!
StanwoodSpartan
hunter

Return to Washington Duck Hunting