Duck Hunting Forum banner

Sitka gear

4K views 28 replies 17 participants last post by  GreenheadKiller 
#1 ·
Anyone pimping it that gets a better price than box stores you all know of? I'd like to add a few garments to the collection.

#2 ·
Best prices I have seen are on Ebay... However, there is really no decent discount.

#5 ·
Skyhigh said:
Sitka lost many a customer over this chuckle head "Athlete"
Cost, "next to nothing"... maybe if you're a millionaire! ... and I love the self-proclaimed "Athlete" title... Pro-staffers, now Athletes... what's next, God's Chosen Hunters?! Gag me. http://www.sitkagear.com/insight/collar-caller
Hardly. What could you possibly have against Dave?

#6 ·
I had every intension of buying Sitka stuff this year. I was going to buy a jacket at a minimum. After tring on the stuff at the stores, I'm just not as sold. Maybe I expected to hear angles sing when I put it on or something but decided to stick with my standard layers and save to +$500 I was going to spend.

#7 ·
I ordered a pair of Sitka "waterfowl" gloves and was very dissapointed. They are made for someone sitting in a blind in southern florida when the wind chill is about 55 degrees, with no chance of rain!

I would have sent them back was given the extreme run around from Rogers, I don't know if others have had any trouble returning stuff to them but they were not very helpful, to say the least! SOO long story longer I decided to bite the bullit and keep my "fair weather Sitka "waterfowl" gloves,(thin,NOT waterproof) and chalk this experience up to lesson learned.

As for me shopping with Rogers again, that will remain to be seen, there are lots of places out there that want my money.

My 2 $

Fishy

#9 ·
Have to agree about price too. Just my opinion, but seems like a fashion statement to me. It's like saying, hey I have all this money and this is what all the rich guys wear so I bought into the hype. Of course if you like it, who cares what anyone thinks right? It truth I don't think the gear looks that bad, at lest it's better than a big red B on your stuff lol.

#10 ·
When they (Sitka) got the blessing to utilize the same material that Arcteryx uses I was sold. My Arcteryx stuff is BOMBproof. Expensive… hell yes but it works and I'll pay a premium to stay warm and dry at the expense of not wearing 5 plus layers. My .2cents worth

#11 ·
I have a bunch that I wear for deer and elk hunting. I bought it all on ebay and archerytalk.com for about half of retail (sometimes less). I have to say it is really nice stuff, but I would never pay full price for it. As for their duck hunting stuff, I would love to try it, but no one is selling it cheap enough for me to afford yet so I will stick with what I've got.

Sent from my XT897 using Tapatalk 2

#12 ·
Erie said:
When they (Sitka) got the blessing to utilize the same material that Arcteryx uses I was sold. My Arcteryx stuff is BOMBproof. Expensive… hell yes but it works and I'll pay a premium to stay warm and dry at the expense of not wearing 5 plus layers. My .2cents worth
I've got an Arcteryx shell as well and it's so old and worn that the Goretex is starting to delaminate, but it's still waterproof! Seems like the Goretex on my Hudson is different than my Arcteryx though, definitely quieter, but also softer feeling.

Sorry, don't have any leads on deals, but if you're looking for a Hudson there are retailers selling these for under $400.

#13 ·
aaronoto said:
Erie said:
I've got an Arcteryx shell as well and it's so old and worn that the Goretex is starting to delaminate, but it's still waterproof! Seems like the Goretex on my Hudson is different than my Arcteryx though, definitely quieter, but also softer feeling.

Sorry, don't have any leads on deals, but if you're looking for a Hudson there are retailers selling these for under $400.
Send your Arcteryx coat back and I'd be willing to bet they'd replace it. You likely have the older gortex as they went to a "pro shell" gortex about 3ish years ago and that stuff is real quite and way more malleable for lack of a better term. Love my theta AR jackets and pants.

#14 ·
When my Columbia wigeon parka's gore tex finally gave up the ghost, I looked at the Sitka duck parkas at the local sportsman's warehouse. I liked what I saw until I checked out the price tag. At the time they were asking $550.00 ish for that coat. I planned to wait for a sale and pick it up but happened across the cabelas brush buster parka and bought it for less than half.

Not quite as stylish as the Sitka stuff but it's worked real well for me and the ducks don't seem to mind that it's modb and not the cool digital berretta camo Sitka has.

Their stuff looks good to me but I have no personal experience with any of it.

#15 ·
I own arcteryx and Sitka gear. You won't find me buying any less. Worth every penny for me. That is me though. It is the best waterfowl clothing out there and there is a second place.

In terms of the gloves that someone baught. Um obviously you didn't buy the Hudson gloves. Probably the traverse gloves which you should have been able to tell were not waterproof. I prefer my neoprene gloves.

#16 ·
Guzman said:
I own arcteryx and Sitka gear. You won't find me buying any less. Worth every penny for me. That is me though. It is the best waterfowl clothing out there and there is a second place.

In terms of the gloves that someone baught. Um obviously you didn't buy the Hudson gloves. Probably the traverse gloves which you should have been able to tell were not waterproof. I prefer my neoprene gloves.
When you and Earl stumble into the cut rate price as you did before I need to know so I can buy.

#17 ·
Call me old fashioned but I see no reason to buy Sitka at it's ridiculous price point. The fabric isn't worth the price. I am a pro shooter at an archery shop that sells a ton of the product. The owner is constantly on me to buy it at at 35% discount. I still wear wool in cool and cold weather with a simple fleece underjacket and an inexpensive coat. The new never wet spray for $20 takes care of waterproofing. I

I have high end coats and garments. I save them for mountainering and snow environments where they make a real difference. 90% of my hunting simply doesn't justify the price. I shot my last two deer in tan knee shorts and a longsleeve cotton T shirt in Spring Predator camo. I love early season hunts!

#18 ·
brokerbyduck said:
When my Columbia wigeon parka's gore tex finally gave up the ghost, I looked at the Sitka duck parkas at the local sportsman's warehouse. I liked what I saw until I checked out the price tag. At the time they were asking $550.00 ish for that coat. I planned to wait for a sale and pick it up but happened across the cabelas brush buster parka and bought it for less than half.

Not quite as stylish as the Sitka stuff but it's worked real well for me and the ducks don't seem to mind that it's modb and not the cool digital berretta camo Sitka has.

Their stuff looks good to me but I have no personal experience with any of it.
Also have the cabelas brush buster stuff, the wading jacket and bibs, got it when they were having a cabelas brand sale. Don't know if it's still the same material, but it's what I consider "real" gore tex. Wear it hunting, fishing, stay completely dry and warm, all day. The Sitka gear is nice, but I have to agree the price is steep when there is some decent gear out there for half the price. I think I would honestly be concerned about actually wearing it at those prices.

#19 ·
It is something I have argued all along. If you are happy with your equipment stay with it. No reason to change. No reason to buy Dave Smiths for example if they come into your shell decoys.

Prior to Sitka I got wet a lot. I got cold a lot. And I had to wear so many layers.

Like I said before Sitka is the best gear out there and there isn't a second. It isn't even close. Cabelas gore tex wear and the such is a whole nother league below.

If you are looking at some thing to start with start with the Hudson jacket.

#20 ·
I bought one of Sitka's ULTIMATE waterfowl jackets last year just to see if they were really worth the money. I've been waterfowling for about 40 years and have worn my share of Jackets. IMO, these aren't worth even close to what you pay for them. They might be stylish but there are other ones that will do a better job. Save your money!

#21 ·
There is another Sitka Gear thread going that I posted some stuff in on where to find deals on Sitka Gear. I got most of my stuff around 35% off. A few items I got 40 to 45% off. Just got to keep looking and find the right sale. I am a big fan of Sitka Gear and although expensive, I am happier with it compared to my Cabela's thinsulate gear and my old Drake gear. Overall, waterfowl clothing is all personal preference in the end in my opinion. Yeah, the Sitka gear is great gear, but is it worth the extra price? I think so... at a 35% at least discount that is. The same argument can ensue about whether or not the Beretta A400 is worth the extra price over the SX3.

Oh, and the places I have found great sales on Sitka gear in the off season: Kruger Farms, Black Ovis, Camofire, and some local places trying to move the final items off their shelves.

#22 ·
somethinsmellsfishy said:
I ordered a pair of Sitka "waterfowl" gloves and was very dissapointed. They are made for someone sitting in a blind in southern florida when the wind chill is about 55 degrees, with no chance of rain!
Oh, and that is one of my few true gripes with Sitka, their gloves are simply horrible. Their other gear, a totally different story.

#23 ·
Earl and I both have Hudson and traverse gloves. I am guessing you have the traverse gloves. Like you said more for October or out pheasant hunting. The Hudson are very nice gloves. Although I prefer the neoprene gloves you buy for ten dollars. I had my Hudson on last week and was having a hard time doing simple things like attaching anchors to long lines. I like the tighter fit. And ya the traverse would have been terrible for that more a dryer environment needed.

#24 ·
Simple fix to gloves is a neoprene hand warming cuff and a little hottie hand warmer in the cuff. I quit wearing gloves of any kind this year. I started using the neoprene cuff and my hands were warmer. Once I put the little hottie in there I could hunt in 10 degree weather with toasty warm hands. I just deal with a little cold while setting out and picking up, then dry my hands and put em right back in the warm cuff and enjoy the sunrise.

#25 ·
Guzman said:

Well Um obviously!
:bow: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Fishy

#26 ·
:bump: :bump: Okay have a question for you Sitka guys. I always enjoy looking at new blind bag gear and I noticed the two backpacks they have. Does anyone have one? I want to know if they're waterproff. I lookked on the web page and it doesn't give any info on that. And if you have one do you like it.? I have the Drake backpack and like it for walking in, but I would like to compare the two

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.