Limp Tail

A waterfowl discussion forum focusing on Kansas duck hunting.

Moderators: T Man, Mallyard, dukhntr, yellowlab

Limp Tail

Postby EcatMagoo » Sun Dec 08, 2013 10:19 am

Hunted from dawn until about 1:00 o'clock yesterday. There wasn't as much movement as I had anticipated but the three of us were able to take a mixed bag of mallards, gads, spoons, and ring necks. Didn't shoot our limit but it was a nice day.

When I got home I soon realized my 6 year old female yellow lab was not feeling well. After watching her for awhile it was obvious her tail was really sore. I did some research on the internet and I think she has what's called "limp or cold tail".

Anyone familiar with this syndrome? Wondering how long it might be until I can take her hunting again.

Thanks for the help,

Ecat
Attachments
izzy in grass.jpg
EcatMagoo
hunter

Re: Limp Tail

Postby champer196 » Sun Dec 08, 2013 2:37 pm

My bitch has had it twice. Took a couple of weeks and it was back to normal.
champer196
hunter

Postby ducknado » Sun Dec 08, 2013 4:41 pm

Yeah,

It was about a week for Bailey and she was back to normal around the house and in the yard. I waited another week before taking her hunting again.
"not all those who wander are lost"
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."
ducknado
hunter

Postby fireman1293 » Mon Dec 09, 2013 8:03 am

DU did an article on it a while back. They called it "cold water tail", my female lab got it last year when it was really cold. About a week of rest and she was fine, only really sore when it came to her tail being petted and sitting down. They say its from a lack of swimming exercise since labs swim using their tails for balance. Good luck with your pup
fireman1293
hunter

Return to Kansas Duck Hunting