Lubbock Goose hunt 2013-Icemageddon...pics. added

Main forum for general non waterfowl discussions as well as general duck hunting information about travel, rules and regulations, and other duck hunting info along with the general topics.

Moderators: Tealer, Indaswamp, Dep6, Preacher1011, steve-o, La. Hunter, #1wingnut, lostpup

Lubbock Goose hunt 2013-Icemageddon...pics. added

Postby Indaswamp » Sun Dec 08, 2013 7:16 pm

Well, we finally made it home around 11:30 am this morning. 21 hour drive through icy road conditions. We threaded a needle on the way up and managed to avoid the worst of it as it moved in behind us dropping wintery mix of freezing rain and sleet with a little snow mixed in. We caught it on the way home though..... The drive up normally takes right at 12 hours, this time it was 15 hours.

When we got 75 miles from Dallas last night around 6:30pm, there was a 40 mile long traffic jam that grew to 70 miles long....all the way from Ft. Worth to Ranger Texas. We sat in traffic for 2~3 hours, then we caught a break and stopped next to the on ramp of an exit. We asked a big rig next to us to pull up about 6 feet so we could get out of the left lane of traffic and onto the right hand shoulder to drive up 50 yards to uturn on the on ramp of the exit. At that point, we then had options instead of sitting in a 70 mile traffic jam for 18-24 hours-which did happen....twice! There were cars trapped on the interstate once on friday night, then again on saturday night-though we were able to get out of it. there was a bad section of I-20 that had 4-6 inches of ice accumulation on the interstate. Thank God for Micky Thompson tires and 4 wheel drive!!!!!!!
We ended up back tracking ~40 miles and took Texas hwy 6 south to Waco, then on to Houston. Our cousin Indafire called his MIL (she is a truck driver of 30 years and walked us through an alternate route.) We encountered numerous abandoned vehicles in the ditches along with 2 big rigs. Had to detour at least twice, once because of ice fog on a bridge crossing a large lake close to Waco, and another time for a wreck.
No one could get any meaningful sleep/rest because of the bumpy/icy road conditions...it was not until we got far enough south to get below the icy belt that conditions improved enough for us to speed up and passengers to get some sleep.

The cold...HOLY SCHIT!!! :eek: My perception of cold has been altered irreversibly!! 16* for the low friday morning, 7* for the low sat morning!! Indafire has some pictures of me dressed up in the field...and yes, I look like ralphie's little brother. that is the most clothes I have ever had to try and shoot out of, but I got it done. I brought a pair of those old "ice breaker" over boots I inherited from my grandfather...worth their weight in gold that saturday morning!! everyone else wanted a pair.

The birds...
We had one of the most awesome hunts in memory Friday morning... done with a 7 man limit of geese in 1 hour 20 minutes.... had 2 big flocks do it right, but one was just absolutely awesome!! first little bunch hit the ground, about -7 birds, then after that, wave after wave set up to finish...guide called the shot with well over 200 geese in close range right in the kill hole. the carnage was unforgettable! I got a scotch double on the first shot, missed on the second as the bird I was shooting fell to another gun, then connected on the third. I think everyone got at least a double, except for 1 guy that had gun problems...

crane hunt was OK. guide could not get his blind set up in the field where he originally wanted to because the field was slop, we hunted the edge, picked off a few birds from some flocks, though we did have a pair along with a triple that finished perfectly over the deeks and we managed to get all of those birds. got pics, will post later once I unpack and load them to my computer.

Saturday, the birds were acting skittish. Combination of not enough wind, and high cloud cover.... we ended up with only 10 lessers along with a few bonus ducks. Indawoods did shoot one of the biggest mallard drakes I have EVER seen. even Johnny agreed that the bird was absolutely huge. the bird ended up sailing, and another guy from the other party walked out 400 yards with his dog to find it. We thought the bird was banded the way he was carrying it, but he wanted to not damage any feather incase the shooter wanted to mount the bird. After inspecting it, it was agreed that woods should put it on the wall. Pics. later on that too.

We had a ball again this go around. Guides destroyed 3 gallons of the gumbo in one sitting, along with 10 lbs. of boudin for lunch...We brought home a lot of meat and will package that up (except for the cranes...those will be cooked later this week... :yes: :thumbsup: )
The Cajun 7 Course Meal; 1 lb. of boudin and a six pack of Abita beer.

Save the Marsh, Eat a Nutria!

Never fart in your waders, it'll give you WORTS.
Indaswamp
Forum Moderator

Re: Lubbock Goose hunt 2013-Icemageddon...

Postby Botiz630 » Sun Dec 08, 2013 7:24 pm

useless without pictures.jpg
useless without pictures.jpg (43.6 KiB) Viewed 1010 times
Do a barrel roll.
Botiz630
Forum Moderator

Postby Botiz630 » Sun Dec 08, 2013 7:25 pm

Glad ya'll had a good time and are back home safe Swamp.

But...PICHERS!!!!!
Do a barrel roll.
Botiz630
Forum Moderator

Postby Indaswamp » Sun Dec 08, 2013 7:29 pm

Botiz630 wrote:Glad ya'll had a good time and are back home safe Swamp.

But...PICHERS!!!!!

my camera battery is charging, will download them and post tomorrow tits.....promise.
I have some I need Indafire to email me. he took way more pics than I did....he has some really good ones.

And I was so happy to see green trees and liquid snow when we got to louisiana, I almost cried!! :lol3: :lol3: :lol3:

Indaswamp
Forum Moderator

Postby ByersFarm » Sun Dec 08, 2013 7:31 pm

Glad y'all got on them swamp.
http://www.byersfarm.com Bill Byers' Hunter Club est. 1953

CraZyMatt wrote:Well, I guess I'll see y'all on the internet.
ByersFarm
DHC Sponsor

Postby Indaswamp » Sun Dec 08, 2013 7:35 pm

ByersFarm wrote:Glad y'all got on them swamp.

Thanks,
Me too..
Farmers around Lubbock have scaled back the amount of peanut acres planted. not sure what caused it, but the cotton farmers had major crop failures this year early, and most replanted with milo. there was milo everywhere... this spread the birds out, but they have plenty of feed. We did not have the huge concentrations we are use to seeing, but 10,000 canadas with ~3-4000 ducks mixed in is plenty enough. biggest flock we had in on us was pushing 1000 strong. Glad Indafire got to see that as this was his first trip...

Indaswamp
Forum Moderator

Postby cartervj » Sun Dec 08, 2013 7:41 pm

Won't forget that one for a while, sounds like y'all had a good time :thumbsup:
“Nothing makes me more certain of the victory of our ideas than our success in the universities” – Adolf H, 1930
cartervj
hunter

Postby Indaswamp » Sun Dec 08, 2013 7:41 pm

After we got out of the traffic jam and started south on HWY 6, we were crawling anywhere from 10~25 MPH for at least 6 hours. But we made it home and avoided the traffic jam.

Indaswamp
Forum Moderator

Postby Indaswamp » Sun Dec 08, 2013 7:43 pm

cartervj wrote:Won't forget that one for a while, sounds like y'all had a good time :thumbsup:

We did have a great time. the jokes flowed like the beer the guides drink... :lol3:

I jokingly asked Brian if I could book a polar bear hunt... :lol3: :lol3: :lol3:

Indaswamp
Forum Moderator

Postby Botiz630 » Sun Dec 08, 2013 7:48 pm

Jealous of the cranes.
Do a barrel roll.
Botiz630
Forum Moderator

Postby Indaswamp » Sun Dec 08, 2013 7:51 pm

Botiz630 wrote:Jealous of the cranes.

Indafire has a pick of me holding one with the wings out to show the wing span....huge damn bird! I learned something about cranes on this trip I did not know...the young ones make a whistle call that is different from adults.

and let me tell you....3 1/2" 2oz. tungsten mag heavy shot load put a WHOLLOP on cranes!!!! I felt like WFM killing ants with a sledgehammer!! :lol3: :lol3: :lol3: :lol3: :lol3: :lol3: :lol3: :lol3:

Indaswamp
Forum Moderator

Postby AKPirate » Sun Dec 08, 2013 7:53 pm

Can't wait for the pics and glad your safe. Another trip for great memories. :thumbsup:
AKPirate
hunter

Postby Indaswamp » Sun Dec 08, 2013 7:54 pm

AKPirate wrote:Can't wait for the pics and glad your safe. Another trip for great memories. :thumbsup:

In case anyone wants to know.......Gopro camera batteries last a total of 28 seconds in 16* weather...... :lol3:

we did not get any video. I will start a thread on cold weather and video cameras...

Indaswamp
Forum Moderator

Postby AKPirate » Sun Dec 08, 2013 7:57 pm

Indaswamp wrote:
AKPirate wrote:Can't wait for the pics and glad your safe. Another trip for great memories. :thumbsup:

In case anyone wants to know.......Gopro camera batteries last a total of 28 seconds in 16* weather...... :lol3:

we did not get any video. I will start a thread on cold weather and video cameras...

I read that when you posted it. Something doesn't sound right. Seen vids of people using them skiing and boarding in the cold.
AKPirate
hunter

Postby Indaswamp » Sun Dec 08, 2013 8:00 pm

AKPirate wrote:
Indaswamp wrote:

I read that when you posted it. Something doesn't sound right. Seen vids of people using them skiing and boarding in the cold.

batteries were fairly new and charged fully the night before the hunt.

figured I'd start a thread to discuss it...
http://www.duckhuntingchat.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=366450

Indaswamp
Forum Moderator

Postby OGblackcloud » Sun Dec 08, 2013 8:00 pm

Glad you guys had a good trip cant wait for the pics :thumbsup:
OGblackcloud
hunter

Postby D Comeaux » Sun Dec 08, 2013 8:01 pm

Something like this. :biggrin:

D Comeaux
hunter

Postby Indaswamp » Sun Dec 08, 2013 8:03 pm

D Comeaux wrote:Something like this. :biggrin:

vid won't play...

Indaswamp
Forum Moderator

Postby AKPirate » Sun Dec 08, 2013 8:04 pm

Indaswamp wrote:
AKPirate wrote:
Indaswamp wrote:

batteries were fairly new and charged fully the night before the hunt.

figured I'd start a thread to discuss it...
http://www.duckhuntingchat.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=366450

I just went to a go pro community site and it sounds like its fairly common to freeze up
AKPirate
hunter

Postby AKPirate » Sun Dec 08, 2013 8:05 pm

Indaswamp wrote:
D Comeaux wrote:Something like this. :biggrin:

vid won't play...

11 second clip works for me
AKPirate
hunter

Postby Indaswamp » Sun Dec 08, 2013 8:07 pm

now it works....internet must have been slow uploading it...

Indaswamp
Forum Moderator

Postby Indaswamp » Sun Dec 08, 2013 8:09 pm

@Comeaux....

youtube does not do it justice.....you need to go with us one year my friend. :yes:

Indaswamp
Forum Moderator

Postby jaysweet3 » Sun Dec 08, 2013 8:10 pm

Good for you guys, sticking it out and pushing on when the weather screwed with you. Fellas wanted to shoot birds. Glad you guys had fun.
The road to diabetes will be sweet.
jaysweet3
hunter

Postby Indaswamp » Sun Dec 08, 2013 8:16 pm

jaysweet3 wrote:Good for you guys, sticking it out and pushing on when the weather screwed with you. Fellas wanted to shoot birds. Glad you guys had fun.

guide called us about 3~4 hours after we left the house to tell us that he thought we ought to turn around. he did not think we would make it up the hills in Post, Texas to get up onto the plateau plain. A straw poll was taken in the truck and we told him we would press on and go until we could not go any longer. We did thread the needle though with the weather and caught a break as the heavy stuff fell behind us. if we were delayed 1-2 hours later, we would not have made it to Lubbock.

Indaswamp
Forum Moderator

Postby D Comeaux » Sun Dec 08, 2013 8:17 pm

Indaswamp wrote:@Comeaux....

youtube does not do it justice.....you need to go with us one year my friend. :yes:

I made one, which was my first, Canada goose hunt in northern Alberta a few years ago. It was amazing!! This would certainly be closer and a lot cheaper than that type of trip. :thumbsup:
D Comeaux
hunter

Next

Return to The Honey Hole