Woodies and calling

Information on duck calls and duck calling tips.

Moderators: stumpjumper, Mallyard, okiequacker, callinfowl

Woodies and calling

Postby Airborne28 » Mon Dec 09, 2013 8:25 am

I have the DC woodie call and had some early success in turning birds to take a look at my spread. I have had a FEW pitch in the spread as well.

However, I had a slow morning yesterday and was about ready to leave. I just happen to grab my teal hen call and blew it then peeped on my teal drake call and had woodies answer back, fly about 2 meters above my head and 20ish pitched right on the decoys with no thought. I was shocked.

I hunt Fort Benning Georgia so we aren't in a flyway, and most birds are assumed to be locals since you can find them year round.

anyone else herd or done this?
Airborne28
hunter

Re: Woodies and calling

Postby m3500 » Tue Jan 07, 2014 11:46 am

I made a mistake for thinking five woodies were teal in early season so I used my hen teal call and teal drake call, once they heard that they made no hesitation to swim over to my spread. I did realize they were woodies and took my three wood duck limit. whether or not they came in because they heard my teal calls or just got there attention and saw my decoys I don't know but they did come in.
If it flies it dies, if it just sits there it dies too.
m3500
hunter

Postby JFord56 » Fri Jan 17, 2014 2:07 pm

TIP: Found this out the during teal season. If you are after woodies put up a mojo teal. Woodies can't resist it. Every one that came by us landed within 5 feet of it. Had 1 doz teal deks out and the one mojo- no woodies. 20+ woodies total in 5 groups (which we could not shoot) and one teal which was 15 min before legal. :mad:

I have seen them respond to teal calls pretty good as well. The DC call is the squeal sound they do flying. They do the whistle while on the water. Only call I have seen that does it is the two metal bottle caps hooked together with a 1/4" hole thru the middle. They know where they are going IMHO (too feed) and nothing turns them like that mojo teal.
JFord56
hunter

Postby m3500 » Mon Jan 20, 2014 4:45 pm

the dc woodie call does make sitting sounds you just gotta learn how to do it
If it flies it dies, if it just sits there it dies too.
m3500
hunter

Return to Duck Calls and Calling Forum