finger lakes

New York goose hunting and duck hunting. This is the place to discuss it all.

Moderators: 870, DukBum

finger lakes

Postby southpaw92 » Mon Dec 09, 2013 2:13 pm

so tomorrow im going down to scott to check out the southern point of skinny for the second half of the split... does anyone else have anyone other suggestions?
Canada Geese 17
Mallards 8
GW Teal 12
Gadwalls 2
Pheasants 7
southpaw92
hunter

Re: finger lakes

Postby Whistlerwhittler » Mon Dec 09, 2013 2:37 pm

I used to hunt from shore with a canoe down there. But I don't know of any launches at that end of the lake. Also it may look a lot different by the time the second split starts (both birds and ice wise) as things can change fast this time of year.
Whistlerwhittler
hunter

Postby southpaw92 » Tue Dec 10, 2013 6:26 pm

so i ended up going to Cayuga and wow ive never seen so many geese in my life.... also saw that there as a small wmu... looks liike ou could walk in... anyone have any input
Canada Geese 17
Mallards 8
GW Teal 12
Gadwalls 2
Pheasants 7
southpaw92
hunter

Postby MTQ » Wed Jan 08, 2014 9:10 am

So I decided it's time to stop spying on you guys from from afar via these forums and create an account and weigh in.
There is a launch at the south end of Skinny. It's the Scott town park. Unfortunately, unlike the lake it freezes pretty quick being a canal. There used to be a blind down there. For all the time I spend down there fishing every spring I can't tell you if its still there or not but it was pretty much trashed anyway.
If it's not frozen the town of Scott asks for a 5 dollar donation to use the launch. I never have because I grew up in Scott and my family always paid property taxes there. Figure that's what the tax dollars go to. Probably not a terrible idea though.
Last edited by MTQ on Thu Jan 09, 2014 4:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Canadas-4
Snows-5
Mallards-8
Blacks-2
Woodies-1
MTQ
Newb

Postby southpaw92 » Wed Jan 08, 2014 3:47 pm

MTQ thanks for the advice.... i think im going to hunt the co op blinds on cayuga... seeming the everything else is locked up lol.... if you want this summer get a hold of me we can check out that blind and either build one or rebuild it... im in syracuse but cortland aint that far
Canada Geese 17
Mallards 8
GW Teal 12
Gadwalls 2
Pheasants 7
southpaw92
hunter

Postby MTQ » Thu Jan 09, 2014 4:27 pm

Guy I work with was there the other day and took a 3 man limit. Mix bag of mallards, buffs and a goldeneye I guess. Hoping this warm up unlocks a some water before Sunday. I'm still seeing a lot of ducks down here. They're just all hanging out on the river in town unfortunately. It would be nice to hunt south skinny again next year, blind might be salvageable if the pilings are still there. God knows I have enough left over lumber to make it happen.
Canadas-4
Snows-5
Mallards-8
Blacks-2
Woodies-1
MTQ
Newb

Postby MTQ » Thu Jan 09, 2014 4:50 pm

Ha, just read the thread on being right lipped! If anyone thinks this is spot burning I have one thing to say: the co ol and nothing on the fl's is a secret!
Canadas-4
Snows-5
Mallards-8
Blacks-2
Woodies-1
MTQ
Newb

Return to New York Duck Hunting