Jump shooting, something doesn't feel right...

Duck Hunting for puddlers like Mallards, Sprig (Pintails), Black ducks, Widgeons, Woodducks, Teal, and other ducks.

Moderators: Token, duckbuster06, The Cat Island Drake

Re: Jump shooting, something doesn't feel right...

Postby getemducks » Wed Apr 23, 2014 6:24 pm

If you are hunting a pressured area even late into the season, A lot of the time if you kick them up without shooting they will come back, especially if there is 50 or more birds. I absolutely love jump shooting nothing wrong with it, just do yourself a favor and don't shoot them off the roost before dark :thumbsup:
Mini Goose Decoys - Inventor
"Gets the Longnecks closer"

Foamy Log Blind@ Prostaff
"Why sport an Oak when you can float a LOG!"

I wish I knew half as much, and shot half as many birds as the guys on DHC claim they do...
getemducks
hunter

Jump shooting, something doesn't feel right...

Postby SDduckhunter23 » Sun Jun 08, 2014 4:42 pm

I think that there is a difference between someone who drives along until he sees birds along the side of a road and jumps out and shoots them and someone who scouts and locates birds then makes a half hour mile sneak on them to jump shoot them, more like stalk and spot. I am in favor of the second option more than the first but I would still pick decoying over anything!!! It is quite a challenge though to make a long and undetected sneak on late season fowl though!

Carter Klatt. AYFS

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Carter Klatt

As you get older, and hunting time is more available to you, it can get easy to go back to a honey hole too often. Next thing you know, it's not so much honey and more of a hole.
SDduckhunter23
hunter

Postby hurtin_honkers » Wed Jun 11, 2014 11:07 am

The way I look at it, is there are a few types of duck hunters, there's the yuppie, who hunts opening day, but doesnt take it too seriously. There's the die hards who spend every waking moment on the water, not just for the kill but for the experience, who look at it as a passion, and not just a hobby. and then theres the "hunters" who go out and strictly jump shoot, or paddle around, dont bother having decoys, or calls, or any duck gear whatsoever really. And I know this for a fact because one of my good buddies is that guy, and he gets more excitement out of a few dead birds than the experience of a life time. And I hate hunting with him because he doesnt want to duck hunt, he wants to duck kill, telling me that all this gear isnt necessary, you dont need all these calls, or decoys, and what irritates me the most is at the end of the season, we have both killed about the exact same number and I know for dang sure I worked a lot harder for mine than he did. Which he's lucky because he owns a decent sized bog behind his house that is about the size of 4 foot ball fields that ducks seem to just pour to. and he can sit there on the bank and shoot a limit or walk around and shoot a limit without even breaking a sweat. If you're the occasional jump shooter where you try it every once in a while, believe be I am all for it, but dont be that guy who just drives around with a shotgun and kills ducks because its fun.
The worst thing about missing isn't the ridicule from your buddies, its the disappointed look of your dog
hurtin_honkers
hunter

Postby Slack Tide » Wed Jun 11, 2014 11:16 am

SDduckhunter23 wrote:I think that there is a difference between someone who drives along until he sees birds along the side of a road and jumps out and shoots them

I remember reading a thread in the Taxi forum and that's exactly what they do in other countries. I think it was Peru.....up in the mountains

I'm with you on decoying birds though
"I've been left for dead before but I'll still fight on, don't wait up, leave the light on, I'll be home soon"
Chris Smither
Slack Tide
hunter

Postby Slack Tide » Wed Jun 11, 2014 11:22 am

To be fair though....how is jump shooting ducks really that different than hunting pheasant? We have giant marshes with mosquito ditches that are cut into them in a grid...it is common that ducks sit in them to feed and get out of the wind...my entire childhood we walked those meadows for black duck etc...
"I've been left for dead before but I'll still fight on, don't wait up, leave the light on, I'll be home soon"
Chris Smither
Slack Tide
hunter

Postby Frank Lopez » Wed Jun 11, 2014 3:52 pm

Slack Tide wrote:To be fair though....how is jump shooting ducks really that different than hunting pheasant? We have giant marshes with mosquito ditches that are cut into them in a grid...it is common that ducks sit in them to feed and get out of the wind...my entire childhood we walked those meadows for black duck etc...

It's VERY different, Slack. I spend almost every Saturday, Sunday and holiday in November and December chasing pheasants on the co op. We use pointing breeds and there is quite a bit of walking involved. Sometimes, everything is perfect. The dog casts and locks into a solid point. You and your partners converge on the dog, walk past a few steps and...nothing! Have the dog relocate, and she locks up again. Move in again, and again nothing. Relocate again, and this time you hear a whir of wings or a cackle about 75 yards off through the trees. Sometimes, your whole morning is like that. Sometimes, the birds hold well, especially when the cover's pretty tight. It isn't like a marsh where you can see 200 yards or more. Sometimes, you can't see your partner working ten yards to your side. You really need to be able to keep in touch, for safety's sake. Sometimes, the cover is so tight, you don't even have a shot at a fleeting bird.

I don't know how the marshes on the south side are anymore, but we still have some of the same drainage and mosquito ditches up here. Been a while since I hunted like that, but like you, I spent a good number of days in my younger years walking the bogs. Trust me, Pheasant hunting is very different.

Frank
I feel slightly sorry for a man who has never patterned his gun, who has no idea how far his chosen load will retain killing penetration. But I'm extremely sorry for the ducks he shoots at beyond the killing range of his gun and load - Bob Brister
Frank Lopez
hunter

Postby Slack Tide » Wed Jun 11, 2014 4:59 pm

Frank Lopez wrote:
Slack Tide wrote:To be fair though....how is jump shooting ducks really that different than hunting pheasant? We have giant marshes with mosquito ditches that are cut into them in a grid...it is common that ducks sit in them to feed and get out of the wind...my entire childhood we walked those meadows for black duck etc...

It's VERY different, Slack.

In the sense that you are stalking up to a resting/hiding bird that you will flush.....it's exactly the same
Chris Smither
Slack Tide
hunter

Postby Frank Lopez » Wed Jun 11, 2014 5:28 pm

Slack Tide wrote:
Frank Lopez wrote:

It's VERY different, Slack.

In the sense that you are stalking up to a resting/hiding bird that you will flush.....it's exactly the same

In that sense, it's the same as stalking a bedded deer that will flush. But the devil is in the details.

Frank
I feel slightly sorry for a man who has never patterned his gun, who has no idea how far his chosen load will retain killing penetration. But I'm extremely sorry for the ducks he shoots at beyond the killing range of his gun and load - Bob Brister
Frank Lopez
hunter

Postby woodduck31 » Thu Jun 12, 2014 7:34 am

I prefer to decoy, but as long as guys are hunting legally, I don't have a problem with jump shooting. I'm far more concerned about the boat hunters around here that spend their time scouting so they can hunt the roost, then when things get slow, they hop in the boat to rally the birds to the waiting hunters back at the blind. Rallying birds with boats is very common here on the snake river and is absolutely illegal. Finally this year there is an ongoing investigation of a crew of hunters that blatantly use this hunting tactic on the snake river. There are a lot of things to concern ourselves about that are happening all the time, such as baiting and rallying birds with boats. I'll not worry too much about the guys sneaking up on a pond to shoot a couple of ducks.
woodduck31
hunter

Postby aunt betty » Wed Jul 02, 2014 3:08 pm

We all started out and some started differently from more humble beginnings.
There is nothing wrong with a guy who jump shoots some ducks, takes them home, and eats them.
I hunted with some ppl who had all the gear when I was a boy but wanted to do it on my own which meant I had to jump ducks.
I found ducks while walking ditches for pheasants and rabbits.
Got clever about remembering where I jumped them and would place a pair of decoys there and then return to jump more.
I also got to where I knew every single place in the township that didn't freeze from walking the ice in the ditches.
Little pockets of ducks in the duck dessert I lived in. This kept me interested enough to where I got a retriever and then more decoys and then finally that precious duck boat. Took me twenty years to go from walking ditches to where I had the boat.

AND THEN I FOUND ARKANSAS and we all lived happily ever after. AMEN! :yes:
INTERNET CREDIBILITY is...an OXYMORON. :moon:
aunt betty
hunter

Postby tsamp » Wed Jul 02, 2014 6:53 pm

Back when people cared more about feeding themselves and there family it was just another way to add meat to the ice box.
tsamp
hunter

Postby Reel Teal » Thu Jul 03, 2014 8:38 am

Jump shooting ducks in the wild is hard. It may not be your style, but its legal.

Ive heard people say it isnt right, bc there just sitting there feeding and you shoot them. Ive had people say "how would I feel?" Lol Personally I dont see much of a difference in tricking them to land for breakfast and 3 hunters pop up out of nowhere and feed them steel.

Its all hunting. I would love for more people to give it a try....you know just for perspective. Most people ive talked to that condemn it hunt outside of my state on leases. Duck leases are non existent where Im at and its all public land...and I jump shot my first duck. Is it more fun to shoot them in the air? To me of course. But I never fault some for getting theirs as long as its within the rules/laws.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk
Reel Teal
hunter

Postby mudpack » Thu Jul 03, 2014 10:36 am

Reel Teal wrote: Duck leases are non existent where Im at and its all public land..

Reel, where do you live that is all public land and no one shoots ducks on private property?? :huh:
I'd like to hunt there..... :biggrin:
mudpack
hunter

Postby Reel Teal » Sat Jul 05, 2014 5:07 am

I should have said pretty much non existent lol just don't go searching for duck leases in florida. Yes people have private land with ducks on it, but no we don't have an abundance of private property that you can lease. And even then not many people can own property on our waterways as its part of Water Management Districts. not comparable to other states at all. I actually love it. I can hunt just about anywhere.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk
Reel Teal
hunter

Previous

Return to Puddler Duck Hunting