Word of the Day, December 10, 2013, Lamentations 3:21-23

For discussions about the spiritual things in ones life.

Moderators: gracenjohn, Preacher1011, La. Hunter

Word of the Day, December 10, 2013, Lamentations 3:21-23

Postby timf » Tue Dec 10, 2013 7:59 am

Word of the Day, December 10, 2013 

“ Every step we are breathing in Your grace. Evermore we'll be breathing out Your praise. You are faithful, God, You are faithful. It's true, You are faithful, God You are faithful.“

Lamentations 3:21-22

21 This I recall to my mind, therefore have I hope.

22 It is of the LORD’s mercies that we are not consumed, because His compassions fail not.

23 They are new every morning: great is thy faithfulness.

I really enjoyed studying the Book of Lamentations of Jeremiah. As I said yesterday, Jeremiah is one of my favorite books of the Bible. The verses in this book that stands out is 4:6, “ For the punishment of the iniquity of the daughter of my people is greater than the punishment of the sins of Sodom, that was overthrown as in a moment, and no hands stayed on her.” Israel had turn away from God so badly and their days of captivity was about to start. The second one is the main theme of this book written by the prophet Jeremiah, 3:23, “They are new every morning: great is thy faithfulness.” However for Israel, the covenant between them and God would be restored again. We may go through some bad times, but God will restore the believer with His promise of restoration.

This book is often called the sequel to the Book Jeremiah . This book was written for a national funeral, portraying the capture and destruction of Jerusalem. The following words spoken by Jeremiah, “And it came to pass after Israel was led into captivity that Jeremiah sat weeping and lamenting and lamented this lamentation over Jerusalem."

I spent a lot of time studying this book in Canaan. I saw this book as my story and used it to understand my trial. I believe this book breaks down to 5 main themes.

Chapter 1 is about the ruin of Jerusalem and their misery because of their sin.

Chapter 2 is how Jehovah, the defender of Israel has given us His people to their awful fate.

Chapter 3 tells us how the prophet Jeremiah grieves over the afflictions of his people, his trust in God and his own persecution.

Chapter 4 talks about the former glory of Israel in contrast with their present state of before the fall of Israel.

Chapter 5 is a prayer for God’s mercies.

Verse 22, Jeremiah writes about God exhibiting His compassions. ( I know of this compassion) He speaks of God’s mercies for the people of God’s covenant, Israel. Genuine faith of God Jeremiah speaks of. From a Biblical standpoint, true faith results in faithfulness in our lives. Must have faith to be faithful. Hebrews 11: 6 states the following about faith: “ But without faith it is impossible to please Him: for he that cometh to God must believe that he is, and that he is a rewarder of them that diligently seek Him.”

The reason I went through this little lesson about the meaning of this book is to compare Israel’s story to our own lives. Our sin causes us misery. Without the choice of God in our lives, we are given a awful fate of life in hell, death! We need to pray for mercy for ourself and our sins. Do we grieve over our sins? We often talk about the good ole days and try to remember the best of times, but were they really that good or full of sinful ways? We need to pray for God’s mercy for our own lives, our families, our churches, our friends, our neighbors, our Gov’t and the leaders of this world. This book is about our individual sins and the sins of the all the tribes of Israel. There is no difference today.

With Christ in our lives, we have divine compassions and His mercies are new everyday. GREAT IS THY FAITHFULNESS!

“ Great is Thy faithfulness! Great is Thy faithfulness! Morning by morning new mercies I see; All I have needed Thy hand hath provided. Great is Thy faithfulness, Lord, unto me! ”

Timothy Furness
timf
hunter

Return to Faith-Spirituality