Which load & Size

Trap, Skeet, Sporting Clays; pistol/rifle target shooting, to plinking cans with a bb gun.

Moderator: waterfowlhunter

Which load & Size

Postby CJ » Sun Apr 22, 2007 9:49 am

Started shooting trap & sporting clays last year. I've been using walmart (cheap) shells in 7.5 or 8 shot 1 1/8 oz. @ 1200 fps. Thinking of changing to a better load. Estate has either HDCP loads of 1 1/8 oz. @ 1250 fps. or I could use a 1 oz. load @ 1330. You get approx. 350 pellets per oz. in 7.5
(393 +- in 1 1/8) & 410 per oz. in #8 (461 in 1 1/8). Appreciate your opinions on slower and more pellets or faster and fewer. :huh:
CJ
hunter

Postby wuzzagrunt » Sun Apr 22, 2007 10:48 am

Here's my take on it: if you are pretty casual about it, and mostly going to the range to practice for hunting, buy whatever's on sale and pick up a case or two. Or five.

If you are getting serious, and to the point where what you're using actually matters, get a reloading press.

Edit to add: I see I didn't completely answer the question. I mostly used skeet and clays to tune up my wingshooting but I was doing a fair amount of it for a while. Most of the serious club-shooters (i.e., the good ones) told me they load for nice even patterns, more than anything else. Other than that, they say that recoil fatigue becomes a real issue when you get to a certain level of competition. Consistently even patterning in a load that doesn't beat them up too much is the main reason they say they roll their own. Cost (at least for those guys) wasn't the main factor.
wuzzagrunt
hunter

Postby Sagebrush » Sun Sep 23, 2007 4:57 pm

If you are doing a lot of shooting , the 1 1/8oz 3 dram is the max
that you want for a full days shooting.

Anything more may lead to a sore cheak, shoulder or even flinching.

If you want speed go with a one oz load of 7 1/2's.............

Most shooters use the 2 3/4 dr at 1145 for the 16 yard line, since they
will do the job with less recoil and a faster time for a 2nd shot c/o skeet ,doubles etc.

# 8 on calm days and # 7 1/2 for cold or windy days.

the standard is 1 oz of #8's @ 1185fps or 1 1/8oz of # 7 1/2's @ 1145fps.

The pellet count is almost the same and they both get at 40 yards, around the same time.

Since they are the same, you don't have to change your lead on birds, one reason for their popularity............... :thumbsup:
Sagebrush
hunter

Postby waterfowlhunter » Wed Oct 03, 2007 2:50 pm

I like the estate (made by federal)1-1/8 oz loads for sporting clays because they have a bit more fps than the wally world loads. I usually shoot 36 out of 50 and our course is quite hard. My low score is not due to the ammo, but the fact that I miss those rabbits every time :yes: .

I also find great deals at Dunhams on cases of the remington gun club and federal top-gun for $39.00 a case and I usually buy 4 cases at a time. At times it can be less costly than reloading but not as fun.

For trap I use whatever is cheap, either in 12 or 20ga. I really do not think you need a 12ga for trap as to me it is a very simple game. I usually shoot 22+ out of 25 with the cheap loads and a full choke. but I think trap is better practice for upland bird hunters and sporting clays more for the duck hunter.

The other issue is the Lead. If your shooting 1250fps at sporting clays and shoot 1550 at ducks there is a lead difference, although it is small it is still there.
"A free people ought to be armed" George Washington 1790

‘For those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety, deserve neither Liberty nor safety.’ —Ben Franklin.”
waterfowlhunter
Forum & State Moderator

Postby Cobra » Wed Oct 03, 2007 6:09 pm

There are some 1 1/8oz lead loads that are in the 1550fps range. With the appropriate choke they are wicked and act very similar to steel loads for practice.
First it rained, then it blew, then it frizz, then it snew --- from an oldtimers gunning boat ~~ He understood what it's about!
Cobra
hunter

Postby msmall » Thu Oct 04, 2007 6:19 pm

I've been shooting Remington STS #8 1 1/8 oz loads for years. If you get into reloading the STS's are the best hulls to reload.
msmall
hunter

Postby antdawg » Tue Nov 06, 2007 11:31 am

wow dont get a reloading press lead is to high right now, if you want quailty then either AA super-handicaps at 1,250 or remington nitro at 1,235. I have shot tournaments with the winchester universal 100 round cases that are liek $15 and still shot well.
antdawg
hunter

Postby duckplucker » Tue Nov 06, 2007 1:47 pm

seems like most of these guys are saying what im going to. If you want to go for higher levels of competition, loading your own for consistency and reasonable recoil for a full day of shooting is what you need to do. As for myself, i buy whatevers on sale in huge bulk quantities, and shoot it whenever i feel the urge.
"Take 'em"
duckplucker
hunter

Postby Sagebrush » Tue Jan 29, 2008 11:48 pm

High vel and max loads are not really needed...........

I practice with 7/8oz of 7 1/2's at 1135fps with a turkey choke !!

You learn in a hurry where to aim or lead !!

When you shot a 1 1/8 oz load at 1145fps, the birds disapear !!
Sagebrush
hunter

Postby duck stalker » Wed Jan 30, 2008 9:42 am

have any of you tryed shooting Diana's? They are a great shell for the price! :eek: I'm getting them for 44.50 a case!
"If you lead them, they will fall"

"Know one knows true companionship until they have owned a Lab"
duck stalker
hunter

Postby REDGUN » Fri Apr 11, 2008 3:42 pm

My sugestion would be to pick a "velocity range" and stick with it. Say 1200-1300 fps or whatever you want. That way you will learn the leads with that speed. Then you can just vari shot size and weight for any given target. Small shot for the mini's, bigger shot with heavier payload for the longer shot, big load of pellets and open choke for the rabbits, etc.

The cheap shells usually work great for the closer shots. 3-4 years ago, Federal field and range shells were on sale at Academy here for $1.99 box for dove season. A lot of us shooters bought as many as we could afford. I am still using them for registered targets under 30 yards. Just break out the heavier premium shells for the longer targets. :thumbsup:
REDGUN
hunter

Return to Target Shooting