Found dog, maybe a Setter in IL

Main forum for general non waterfowl discussions as well as general duck hunting information about travel, rules and regulations, and other duck hunting info along with the general topics.

Moderators: Tealer, Indaswamp, Dep6, steve-o, La. Hunter, Preacher1011, lostpup, #1wingnut

Found dog, maybe a Setter in IL

Postby Skinfaxi » Wed Feb 02, 2005 6:54 pm

Hi
I live in Illinois, three days ago I found a ?puppy? It was dark and freezing. I found it laying in a ditch. It had been there so long that it had made itself a little mud wallow. I brought her home fed her cleaned her up and dicovered not only a large gash on her leg but that she is the prettyest gun dog I have ever seen. She has the typey setter head and longer body. She is about 18-19 inches tall. She has short light feathering on her front legs, ears and belly. Her hair is wavy on her chest, sides rump and tail. She is mostly white with a typical head color. Red brown with white muzzle and stripe.
Skinfaxi
hunter

Finishing my story/question

Postby Skinfaxi » Fri Feb 04, 2005 1:56 pm

She looks like an Irish red and white setter, but I understand that these are fairly uncommon dogs and that they are not cheap either. I am wondering if I should keep her or not. I can't find anything about her to make me want to look Very hard for her owner(I have called around to the local shelters.) She has perfect indoor manners. She was found near(2 miles away, cross country) a gunclub that has land where they release birds. Could some hunter have lost thier puppy-in-training? What would you do??
Skinfaxi
hunter

Postby brucemacp » Fri Feb 04, 2005 2:51 pm

Maybe you should check with the gun club and see if anyone there knows anything. Run an add in the pet section of your local paper. If nho one claims her then you probably have an English Setter of some derivation. Irish setters are not going to have that much white on them.
Kobie the wonder dog says" Hunting seasons over? Wake me up around noon"
brucemacp
hunter

Postby h2ofwlr » Fri Feb 04, 2005 3:01 pm

I would call the gun club and ask there. I also would run a" found Setter" ad in the local paper, you could look at the "lost" dogs column too. And maybe 1 last call to the shelters-unless you already left your name and numbers with them to get ahold of you. And if still nothing turned up, one has made a sincere good faith effort to find the owner and that is all one can really ask of a person. Oh one last thing-there could be a chance it has a micro chip if implanted under the skin, a vet could check for that.

Then at that point, if you wanted to "adopt" the dog as your own, why not. In the meantime, keep an eye peeled on the gash on leg for infection. And if after a week or 2 of no one coming forth to claim it I would say she is yours.

I've had my dogs lost before, so I was very assertive in calling the pounds, Vets, running an ad, putting up flyers all over. I had 1 dog travel 8 miles in 1 days time from phoned in reports, he ended up 3/4 mile from me after 3 days---his paw pads blistered/worn off, he found some dogs and was so tired he just slept with them dogs, anyways the people a day later happened to see a flyer of mine and called me. :thumbsup: My point is, if a person really cares about the dog-they will make repeated attempts to find it. And if you make a good attempt to find the owner, well... then it's their loss and your gain, and then have a good ol time with your new buddy :thumbsup:
The Audacity of Bull Crap.
"Typical: Gun-loving, bitter bible-thumping white person" Barack Obama.
Hey I resemble that comment!!! Those are FIGHTING WORDS!!!
h2ofwlr
Forum & State Moderator

Postby shrpshtr » Sat Feb 05, 2005 11:50 am

h2ofwlr wrote:... Oh one last thing-there could be a chance it has a micro chip if implanted under the skin, a vet could check for that.

i have one of these between my dog's shoulders. the vet checks it everytime he goes in for a check-up. i lost him for a couple of days when he was about 2 years old and it liked to broke my heart. this way i know that he can be identified without-a-doubt. it was only $60 too. you can't beat that. i believe most SPCA location's also scan each animal when brought in, just in case. any vet should do it also. anyway, good luck finding this guy's rightful owners.
shrpshtr
hunter

news

Postby Skinfaxi » Mon Feb 07, 2005 1:09 pm

I got a number of a guy missing a dog of similar description from a local shelter. He is 2-2.5 hours away. I have called a couple times a day every day for 4 days. No answer and no answering machine. How much does haveing her checked for a chip cost. I am fairly certain now that she is a Red and White. I'll send pics
Skinfaxi
hunter

Postby shrpshtr » Mon Feb 07, 2005 1:38 pm

it shouldn't cost you a penny. i would just contact your vet or the local SPCA and tell them the situation. most vets will let you just swing by the office and a quick swipe will tell them what they need to know. it only takes seconds...
shrpshtr
hunter

Return to The Honey Hole