Duck Hunting Forum banner

Ok Bama Fans. What is the Truth

2K views 52 replies 13 participants last post by  David 
#1 ·
http://sports.yahoo.com/news/report-sab ... ncaaf.html

Alabama coach Nick Saban will replace Mack Brown at Texas and become the Longhorns' next head coach, a reporter from the Fort Worth Telegram posted on Twitter.
"Source close to Texas executive council of regents says Nick Saban will be next Longhorns coach," tweeted Stefan Stevenson, the TCU beat reporter for the Telegram.
However, there are conflicting reports. NFL.com analyst Gil Brandt reported via Twitter that a source told him Saban was in contract negotiations with Alabama for a contract extension that would be in the $7 million-per-year range.
Adding to the uncertainty is the fact that multiple media outlets reported earlier Tuesday that Brown plans to step aside after this season. However, Brown has denied he intends to step down.

#2 ·
I tend not to listen to the chit-stirring media anymore. Both Saban himself, and oficialls from both universities have said that coach Nick is staying in Alabama where he belongs. Honestly, all of the articles that you are reading that talk of him leaving are probably written by wishful texas alumni.

Sent via smoke signal

#4 ·
Why not move to the state where football is king? UT would be able to pay him any amount of money he would like as well.

#8 ·
OHIODUCKA5 said:
Because he'd be the 3rd favorite head coach behind Baylor and AM. He's king of Alabama right now.
Which one would you rather be, the 3rd favorite coach in a state or the highest paid coach in CFB & NFL?

#11 ·
Saban isn't leaving for another coaching job. When he does leave Alabama, it will be to retire. He's said so numerous times, including very very recently. And yes, I know he said something similar before leaving Miami to take the UA job. He's also gone on record, multiple times, about how much he regrets the way he handled that, and how he wishes he could go back and handle it differently.

He and Terri have said several times they will finish their coaching career at Alabama, and I believe him. All of these rumors are nothing more than Jimmy Sexton (his agent) doing his job (and doing it very well, I might add).

#12 ·
Alabama Crimson Tide head coach Nick Saban and his wife have feverishly denied that he would be leaving Alabama for any other head coaching job, but money speaks and reports linking Saban to the Texas Longhorns are gaining more and more steam.

Saban could make a boatload of money with the Longhorns, who are the richest program in the nation, and the reported 10-year, $100 million offer and equity in the Lonhorn Network could be an offer too great to pass up.

This is a lot of money if it's true

#16 ·
Haha. Not hostility. With the list Texas put out everyone has a stake in this deal. Let's all hope they hire Lou holtz. But really, I don't think there's a chance saban takes it. He says his only regret in life is how he left Miami. I don't see him doing that again.

#18 ·
Who knows? Only Saban knows. Texas can throw crazy money at him. Is Alabamaa facing recruiting violations? Probably not, but there have been coaches (Pete Carroll) leave before it hit the fan. Not saying that's going on here but never say never. I think he'd be crazzy to leave but he's obviously a smart guy. He could walk into a fragmented Conference and in a very short time be a perinial power with very limited in Conference competition to the BCS and National Title Games. Plus be flush with cash and avoid a state income tax. It's not such a crazy idea after all.

#20 ·
OHIODUCKA5 said:
Alabama Crimson Tide head coach Nick Saban and his wife have feverishly denied that he would be leaving Alabama for any other head coaching job, but money speaks and reports linking Saban to the Texas Longhorns are gaining more and more steam.

Saban could make a boatload of money with the Longhorns, who are the richest program in the nation, and the reported 10-year, $100 million offer and equity in the Lonhorn Network could be an offer too great to pass up.

It is a lot of money, but the flaw in using that particular aspect to "prove" he's going, is

A) Alabama won't be "outbid" on him. There's enough money to match any offer he could conceivably get.
B) IF he did leave (again, I just don't see it happening), it wouldn't be about the money anyway...it would be about the "challenge" of rebuilding a program from the bottom up...and he's already clearly stated he's not interested in doing that. in his own words "I'm too old for that".

If I had to wager a bet on his future, career-wise, I'd say Nick Saban will coach 2-3 more years at Alabama, then retire.

#21 ·
GomerPyle said:
OHIODUCKA5 said:

It is a lot of money, but the flaw in using that particular aspect to "prove" he's going, is

A) Alabama won't be "outbid" on him. There's enough money to match any offer he could conceivably get.
B) IF he did leave (again, I just don't see it happening), it wouldn't be about the money anyway...it would be about the "challenge" of rebuilding a program from the bottom up...and he's already clearly stated he's not interested in doing that. in his own words "I'm too old for that".

If I had to wager a bet on his future, career-wise, I'd say Nick Saban will coach 2-3 more years at Alabama, then retire.
That one is false. The football program at UT pays for the entire athletic program of the school. I believe I saw figures that the football program profits $75 Million dollars a year. That is the highest amount of ANY college football team, higher than the other top 4 combined.

#22 ·
MarkM said:
GomerPyle said:
OHIODUCKA5 said:

That one is false. The football program at UT pays for the entire athletic program of the school. I believe I saw figures that the football program profits $75 Million dollars a year. That is the highest amount of ANY college football team, higher than the other top 4 combined.
Actually it is NOT false....While Texas does turn the biggest profit, AL also turns a massive profit, and just like TX, it's enough to fund the rest of the Athletic Department, as a whole. Secondly, Bill Battle (AD at 'Bama) as well as the Univ president have both been quoted as having said "Nick Saban is the single greatest business investment the University has ever made". Whatever ANY other school (or pro team) offered Saban, rest assured UA would match/exceed it.

By the way, the reason TX is at the top of the Profit Margin list is due largely to the Longhorn Network. the problem is that is a HUGE commitment on the coach's part and one that Saban would not deal with well at all (see his typical attitude toward media in general for evidence).

#23 ·
GomerPyle said:
MarkM said:
GomerPyle said:
OHIODUCKA5 said:

Actually it is NOT false....While Texas does turn the biggest profit, AL also turns a massive profit, and just like TX, it's enough to fund the rest of the Athletic Department, as a whole. Secondly, Bill Battle (AD at 'Bama) as well as the Univ president have both been quoted as having said "Nick Saban is the single greatest business investment the University has ever made". Whatever ANY other school (or pro team) offered Saban, rest assured UA would match/exceed it.

By the way, the reason TX is at the top of the Profit Margin list is due largely to the Longhorn Network. the problem is that is a HUGE commitment on the coach's part and one that Saban would not deal with well at all (see his typical attitude toward media in general for evidence).
Saban will get a chunk of the longhorn network as well reportedly.

#25 ·
OHIODUCKA5 said:
GomerPyle said:
MarkM said:
GomerPyle said:
OHIODUCKA5 said:

Saban will get a chunk of the longhorn network as well reportedly.
Well, I can't answer to that b/c I don't know the details of this offer that, by all accounts, does not actually exist yet. But, let's say it does, for the sake of argument....see "B)"

#26 ·
GomerPyle said:
MarkM said:
GomerPyle said:
OHIODUCKA5 said:

By my math, Texas profits about $78 million. Alabama profits around $45 million. So how would they be able to match it? The pay for the coach has to come from the budget allotted to the athletic program, which is the money they profit basically.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.