kansas bird #

Pheasant, turkey, dove, grouse, partridge, quail, squirrel, rabbits, etc.

Moderators: The Cat Island Drake, birddog crazy

kansas bird #

Postby micneador » Wed Dec 11, 2013 10:02 pm

I've been hunting SWIFT and central kansas for pheasant and quail for 8 plus years. When the economy dropped out, I havn t had the funds to head up there. Anybody around the hays area or philipsburg have a report they would share. I know philipsburg is more quail than pheasant, but I'm quail chaser at heart so its not a big deal. I hunt walk in unless I happen to meet a nice farmer.
Never hire a plumber to do a pipe layers job.
micneador
hunter

Re: kansas bird #

Postby micneador » Fri Dec 13, 2013 7:15 pm

I'm sorry, SW Kansas not swift
Never hire a plumber to do a pipe layers job.
micneador
hunter

Postby cluckmeister » Fri Dec 13, 2013 10:45 pm

Bird numbers are WAAAAAY Down state wide, We hunted 2000 acres opening weekend and saw less than 50 Pheasants total. This was in a area that is usually prime . NW of Great Bend. Never saw one quail. Two years of drought has taken its toll
If you're there for the limit, you're there for the wrong reason
cluckmeister
hunter

Postby champer196 » Sat Dec 14, 2013 9:38 pm

Went out around Russel over Thanksgiving and hunted a day and a half and only saw 8 hens and one rooster, oh and one small covey of quail.

It will take several years for the pheasant numbers to come back *if* they ever do. The way a habitat is declining I'm not going to hold my breath. We may go the same way Iowa did. Quail are declining and will continue to do so until people realize that trees and not burning every 3 years of so are really hurting the quail.

If the biologists would just go back to the hay day of KS quail and look at airial photos I think they would see that trees and excessive underbrush was not nearly as prevelant as it is today. There were no "hinged" trees back then. But there were old fields with weeds in them, lots of hedge rows and brushy fence lines.
champer196
hunter

Return to Upland Game