Need some advice

A place to discuss Maine hunting. Topics include Maine's reknowned sea duck hunting.

Moderators: DUKHTR, Dogman

Need some advice

Postby lames33 » Sun Dec 15, 2013 7:16 pm

Hello All,

I need a little help to figure out how to deal with what I have seen lately. The other day I went to some of my spots and come to find out someone has poached my spots, you know the "scouting" that consists of seeing where cars/trucks are parked and listening for shooting, not the wake up at 4 drive around for hours a couple am's a week type of scouting like I did to find said spots. Even better I went to check out where they setup all I found was spent shells and trash at 2 different completely different parts of southern Maine. So for those of you who have run into this type of BS how do I deal with it?

Thanks in advance,

Lames33
lames33
hunter

Re: Need some advice

Postby 733SubDucker » Sun Dec 15, 2013 8:36 pm

Sorry to hear.

Not much you can do. Beat him up? Slash some tires? Can't complain too hard to.any potential land owners or you could get the whole thing shut down.

It's just a tough spot to deal with.

The litter is inexcusable.

Maybe he spotted your truck, maybe he scouted on days you didn't.
733SubDucker
hunter

Postby bkmaine » Sun Dec 15, 2013 9:25 pm

Don't over react, you don't know how this person scouted. Next time you go back to that spot bring a garbage bag and clean up, if the problem persists you know where your paths could cross, have a friendly conversation or leave a note.
><>bk
bkmaine
hunter

Postby Swanny » Mon Dec 16, 2013 7:41 am

spots that could see some traffic could be misleading as well. You see 2 guys for example hunting that area and you assume it was them that left the trash, but in reality it could have been a different party all together.
Swanny
hunter

Postby native brookie » Mon Dec 16, 2013 11:48 am

I don't think there are many secret spots--just spots that are more off the beaten path than Merrymeeting Bay or Scarborough Marsh. With Maine's tradition of public access to great ponds, navigable rivers, and tidewater, none of us have "dibs" on any spots that the public may legally access.

The downside of this is competition. The upside is we don't have to join a private duck club, participate in a complicated lottery draw, or lease a blind site if we want to duck hunt. I'll take what we have in Maine any day over most other places.

I hunt Merrymeeting a lot and Scarborough several times a season, and while I sometimes find someone set up where I want to be, I can honestly say that only once this year did I find enough of a crowd that it interfered with my hunting.

It might not hurt to mention the littering slobs to the local warden. They have every right to hunt your spots, but the litter is a crime.

Speaking of which--here's a public service announcement requesting that we all try to do a better job cleaning up our spent shells. I know it's almost impossible to collect them all, but nothing sends an "All hunters are slobs" message to non-hunters like a big pile of plastic shells lying on a nice shoreline. Two seasons ago someone left a pile of shells where a trail across the local land trust's property hits a local pond. The steward for that property was rightly pissed, and it's taken some of us quite a while to convince him that we're not all slobs.
native brookie
hunter

Postby 1187 » Tue Dec 17, 2013 8:16 pm

I get pissed when I see a boot print in "my" section of marsh let alone trash or the cut pad my dog got from a broken beer bottle last week :mad:

S.ME has the highest population density in the state and thus competition. I feel WAY worse for the ducks that get blasted by some butt head that probably doesn't care about them or the whole ecological fabric they are making themselves part off.
hunter

Postby rerun » Wed Dec 18, 2013 6:42 am

There's not much we as individuals can do about the behavior of others (other than to call it out and try to engange in a resonable conversation). I can control my own behavior and one thing I do with the landowners who have graciously granted me permission to access/hunt on their property is to arrange for a trach clean up day sometime in the spring/early summer (when mud season is over). I'll call them and tell them I want to to it and try and arrange a date/time. Sometimes only a little trash comes out, sometimes it's a lot. I figure it's the least I can do and it allows me to "give back". Doing my little part for landowner relations.

One place was getting so bad with trash (including shells), that it was posted with "Landowner Permission Only". I jjust happend to be the only one with permission! :grooving: :lol:
"A man is rich in proportion to the number of things he can afford to let alone." Henry David Thoreau
rerun
hunter

Postby R-Factor » Wed Dec 18, 2013 7:21 am

rerun wrote: one thing I do with the landowners who have graciously granted me permission to access/hunt on their property is to arrange for a trach clean up day sometime in the spring/early summer (when mud season is over). I'll call them and tell them I want to to it and try and arrange a date/time. Sometimes only a little trash comes out, sometimes it's a lot. I figure it's the least I can do and it allows me to "give back". Doing my little part for landowner relations.

SMART! We should all be doing this with private landowners...you have me thinking. :thumbsup:
R-Factor
hunter

Postby 733SubDucker » Wed Dec 18, 2013 8:34 am

shells scattered everywhere is total ignorance, but it kills me when I come across a nice neat pile of shells. someone put them in a pile, but then left them. if you can get your hands on them, put them in your damn blind bag! :mad:

the beer bottle thing is ridiculous. i'm all for enjoying some suds :yes: ... after the hunt... but certainly not in the marsh, boat, or truck.
733SubDucker
hunter

Return to Maine Duck Hunting