Looking for a good Taxidermist

A forum to discuss taxidermy techniques and mounts.

Moderators: Pete-pec, sprigpig1

Looking for a good Taxidermist

Postby RefugeRat4Life » Sun Dec 15, 2013 11:23 pm

Hey DHC Brethren,

I shot my first banded duck, a drake mallard, on saturday. He is in the freezer in immaculate condition, ready for a mounting. I am in the San Jose/South Bay area and would like some recommendations for a well known quality taxidermist.

Thanks!
JD
And on the 9th day, God looked down on his planned paradise and said, "now that I have a caretaker, I need a protector." So God made a hunter...
RefugeRat4Life
hunter

Re: Looking for a good Taxidermist

Postby Pete-pec » Mon Dec 16, 2013 5:54 am

Read this first. There are suggestions on this topic in this thread containing frequently asked questions: viewtopic.php?f=73&t=222878

Also, If anyone has any suggestions for this gentleman, please respond by PM.

Thanks,

Pete
Pete-pec
Forum & State Moderator

Postby RefugeRat4Life » Mon Dec 16, 2013 8:31 am

Ill take a look at that. Thank you!

Cheers, JD
JD
And on the 9th day, God looked down on his planned paradise and said, "now that I have a caretaker, I need a protector." So God made a hunter...
RefugeRat4Life
hunter

Postby Cougar125 » Mon Dec 16, 2013 11:40 pm

I'll recommend any of the taxidermists here to be honest with you. It just depends on what you want and what you're willing to spend.
There are no ducks in the desert!
Cougar125
hunter

Postby RefugeRat4Life » Tue Dec 17, 2013 12:03 am

Cougar,

I want to get a nice Mallard mount done. Id like it to be in NorCal. And as far as price goes... if the quality is there I don't see why I would pony up around $200

Thx
JD
RefugeRat4Life
hunter

Postby merganser murderer » Tue Dec 17, 2013 7:49 am

200? your not going to get quality for that price. not trying to be rude but for 200 it probably look like something out of a scary movie.
merganser murderer
hunter

Postby Pete-pec » Tue Dec 17, 2013 8:10 am

merganser murderer wrote:200? your not going to get quality for that price. not trying to be rude but for 200 it probably look like something out of a scary movie.

Not necessarily true. I will agree that you typically get what you pay for, but there are guys mounting a decent bird at that price. Some taxidermists have full time jobs, and do taxidermy for fun money, and can still mount a bird, but offer a price well below the market to get the price shopping customer. It can sting you, but look at their work first, and you can find that guy.
Pete-pec
Forum & State Moderator

Postby RefugeRat4Life » Tue Dec 17, 2013 1:11 pm

merganser murderer wrote:200? your not going to get quality for that price. not trying to be rude but for 200 it probably look like something out of a scary movie.

$200 is a good starting point. I would argue that a lot of factors would need to be taken into account for the price to fluctuate like the mount base, style, type of pose, etc.

I don't think this I am disrespecting anyone if they can prove that their work is worth more than $200.

Thanks for the input tho....
JD
RefugeRat4Life
hunter

Postby merganser murderer » Wed Dec 18, 2013 7:51 am

Pete-pec wrote:

Not necessarily true. I will agree that you typically get what you pay for, but there are guys mounting a decent bird at that price. Some taxidermists have full time jobs, and do taxidermy for fun money, and can still mount a bird, but offer a price well below the market to get the price shopping customer. It can sting you, but look at their work first, and you can find that guy.

well i guess DECENT is ok, but i also know you can find a great taxidermist for 250-300.
merganser murderer
hunter

Postby merganser murderer » Wed Dec 18, 2013 7:59 am

look at birdmans work, thats a good place to start looking at poses and quality work, and check his prices

Edited because the other taxidermist (although very very good) is not a sponsor. Please read the stickies. I do not allow name dropping.

Thank you

Pete (taxidermy mod)
merganser murderer
hunter

Postby Pete-pec » Wed Dec 18, 2013 8:09 am

Okay, what if I said there were guys mounting a great bird at that price?

My point is this. Price point is a great start at determining the quality the taxidermist puts out. But this is just a guideline. There are guys charging top dollar who shouldn't. There are guys who should charge more. There are factors that keep prices where they are. these being market share, word of mouth, likability, demographics, and salesmanship to name a few. Some guys have a huge following, and never have to advertise again. Some guys only put their name on the work, when in fact an employee did the work. Some guys are working completely solo, and work their tail off to pay the bills. Other guys have another job in a different field, and do this for extra cash. The list is long, but the one thing to always remember is, look at their work, and think about what other professionals charge in other fields. You soon realize you're getting a hell of a deal!
Pete-pec
Forum & State Moderator

Postby jstewart_1981 » Wed Dec 18, 2013 11:27 am

Um yes sir for $200 you can get a bird mounted that will look just fine.
jstewart_1981
hunter

Postby aclumpkin » Wed Dec 18, 2013 11:39 am

jstewart_1981 wrote:Um yes sir for $200 you can get a bird mounted that will look just fine.

I agree. My local taxidermist does great work and his base price is $200 for just the duck flying. Of course if you get into more elaborate mounts, it will cost more.

When I first started using him, I was prepared for $250-$300 after looking at his work. When he said $200, I couldn't have said "sold" fast enough. So I agree with your comment about normally seeing the ~$300 range but as Pete said, it just all depends.
When you are dead, you don't know that you are dead. It is difficult only for the others.
It is the same when you are stupid.
aclumpkin
hunter

Postby wjarrell » Wed Dec 18, 2013 1:19 pm

ya thats not true at all I know of a couple guys that do great work and their price for a duck is 200
wjarrell
hunter

Return to Taxidermy Forum