DU hate

Talk about various Louisiana duck hunting tactics with others and explore issues related to duck hunting in the heart of Cajun duck hunting country.

Moderators: The Cat Island Drake, La. Hunter, Smackaduck

Re: DU hate

Postby TomKat » Mon Dec 23, 2013 9:48 pm

Alex.18 wrote:Haha thats hilarious. U sure thats not ur sister that picked up those red beans u inbread peice of white trash? Cant be momma cause shes down here learning about real men

Ha ha wow what a little crybaby. You dont mnow how to hunt ducks (its not like DD is it?) I offer some observations and you degrade to name calling and uncivil behavior.

If you apologize I might let you carry my gun to the blind. Run along now boy, the adults are trying to talk.

Blog- http://www.ksducks.com
TomKat
Dorothy

Postby Alex.18 » Mon Dec 23, 2013 10:27 pm

Appologize? I wouldnt let u clean the mud off my boots. Bottom line, go back to the kansas forum if youre so civilized and better than everyone else in LA. Dont need people like you around here. But answer this, since you are so interested in this forum. Why are you so supportive of DU? They do a little work around or for you lately?
Alex.18
hunter

Postby Lreynolds » Mon Dec 23, 2013 10:50 pm

alans wrote:Why is members money spent on private projects? Like du would give a straight answer.

How about if I give you a straight answer, because you have some serious misconceptions.

1) The vast majority of land in this state is PRIVATE. Our hunter surveys have shown us that 70-75% of our hunters hunt exclusively PRIVATE land. So if Ducks Unlimited membership is representative of our duck hunters, then it would be stupid of them to NOT do work on PRIVATE land. That is where the ducks are and THAT is where their membership hunts.

But the also do work on PUBLIC land. We currently are partnering with DU on projects at Russell Sage, Ouachita, Buckhorn, Dewey Wills, Sherburne, Bayou Pierre, Wham Brake, and have completed projects on many others. DU has done at least as much work on PUBLIC land as on PRIVATE in Louisiana, and WAY more than public-land hunters have paid for.

alans wrote: I know it is no master conspiracy to keep ducks from Louisiana except during oil spill ordeal. Which I understood the reasoning behind the idea.

But the "big conspiracy" during the oil spill didn't work, did it? During the winter of 2010/11 we counted over twice the long-term average number of ducks using the wetlands of SE Louisiana, we think because we ran all the diversions at capacity during the spring and summer to try and create a freshwater head to push some oil out. In fact, I personally advised the USDA-NRCS that the Migratory Bird Habitat Initiative would not work to keep ducks out of the oil because the species using SE Louisiana marshes were NOT species most likely to be stopped by shallow-flooded ag fields ..... gadwalls, bluewings, scaup, ringnecks, etc. That is also what I told all the complaining hunters at public meetings prior to the 2010 season. Ducks Unlimited's role in the MBHI of 2010 was to distribute the money granted them by NFWF to pay the landowner's share of the WHIP and EQIP contracts from NRCS (which pay 75% cost share) so they could assure landowners would participate. The program was good for ducks, and coastal hunting success wasn't impacted at all.

alans wrote: Sanctuaries..... why do guys have to hunt a area that pumps don't work only to drive across the highway and see plenty of water and ducks on a sanctuary.

Because the pump and pump station caught fire, and we (LDWF) didn't have the money to fix it. Furthermore, the state's own insurer (Office of Risk Management) told us to hold off for one year while the issue was being resolved, and then in the end refused to help pay for it. DU had nothing to do with the delays replacing the pump at Ouachita ...... that is on LDWF. I had to make a special allocation from the Duck Stamp fund to get that paid for, and DU helped with engineering and contracting.

alans wrote: Why do the landowners get compensated so well yet the poor man hunting public gets the shaft.

They don't in this state. The public hunter gets more for their DU $$ than private hunters. Given their source of revenue, DU is obligated to do work on private land. Even LDWF has a private lands program funded by your license fees.

alans wrote:Where has du been at since giant salvinia has devastated our lakes.

The same place as everyone else. Who has successfully battled giant salvinia such that a cost-effective solution is established for everyone to implement?? Well?? I sure as hell don't currently know what to do such that I can allocate huge sums of money to take it on.

alans wrote: .........only to watch them go to a du funded sanctuary before shooting hours.

DU funded the pumps at Ouachita WMA over 30 years ago; one set of pumps on the sanctuary and another on the hunted portion. LDWF manages the WMA and decides how to manage it, not DU. It was simply unfortunate circumstances that the pumps on the hunted area caught fire and we had difficulty replacing them. It had absolutely nothing to do with DU, and thus your entire point regarding Ouachita is BS.
Last edited by Lreynolds on Mon Dec 23, 2013 11:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Lreynolds
hunter

Postby Lreynolds » Mon Dec 23, 2013 11:04 pm

wpevey wrote:Every time I open my DU magazine there is some new project Du is building for duck habitat but it is NEVER in this state it seems. i would love to know the last time DU spent any money on a big habitat restoration project south of Alexandria and east of Lafeyette.

You haven't been paying much attention because they just completed 2 projects at Pointe-aux-Chenes WMA, are in progress on a project at Sherburne WMA, have completed a number of crevasse-splay projects near the mouth of the MS River, built a terracing project at Lafitte in Jefferson Parish, and were approved for the Liner's Canal and Carencro Bayou projects in Terrebonne Parish. And those are just the ones I can think of off the top of my head. Some public and some private ...... go figure.
Lreynolds
hunter

Postby Lreynolds » Mon Dec 23, 2013 11:32 pm

I couldn't care less who you support or don't support with your discretionary income; that is none of my business, and I'm happy that you support conservation of any kind. But some of you need some perspective when it comes to DU. They used to spend all money on the breeding grounds, but members wanted to know why they didn't do anything for the habitat where all that money was raised? So they started doing projects in all states.

They have members in all states, raise money in all states from public and private lands hunters and people who don't hunt at all. Much of the money they raise or leverage or get through grants is NOT discretionary; it must be spent on particular projects. They spend very little member money in Louisiana, using NAWCA grants, USDA Farm Bill programs (WRP, WHIP, EQIP), and partnerships with LDWF, USFWS, and NRCS to fund much of their work. I'm betting they do the same in other states because they have members there. They don't do projects in Illinois for example to screw you; they do it on behalf of their members in Illinois. And you don't pay for that work; you pay for work in Louisiana, and currently get far more than you pay for. Besides the breeding grounds, I doubt any state gets as much DU-directed activity as Louisiana because of all the coastal restoration activity here. NAWCA even has a separate pot of money for coastal projects that Louisiana benefits from and DU is an active partner on leveraging those grant funds.
Lreynolds
hunter

Postby Lreynolds » Tue Dec 24, 2013 12:21 am

I'm advocating a new conservation group for duck hunters in Louisiana to support, especially those in SE Louisiana called: Black Desert from the Dakotas to Des Allemands.

This organization will be dedicated to maintaining the waterfowl-hunting culture of south Louisiana by not only discouraging ANY habitat projects north of I-10, but by actively working to fund removal of existing habitat between I-10 and the traditional breeding grounds with the ultimate goal of producing a habitat-free zone between the breeding grounds and south Louisiana. Even if that ultimate goal is unlikely, any progress we make in reducing habitat in this targeted mid-latitude zone will increase the chances that our children and grandchildren will enjoy the waterfowling heritage they so richly deserve.

This could be a science-based organization using current GIS models and telemetry studies to target areas of habitat removal where we could get the best bang for our buck. We could work with our legislators to eliminate conservation funding in the targeted zone to reduce the federal deficit or better yet, redirect it to fund commercial, industrial, or residential development to help reshape these former habitats, create jobs, and provide goods/services that appeal to a much larger segment of the public than duck hunters.

Whatcha think?

I think it's time we flat called a spade a spade and took on the source of our duckhunting woes head-on!
Lreynolds
hunter

Postby rhino2671 » Tue Dec 24, 2013 8:43 am

I like how the Kansas boy posted those pictures like its alot of ducks. No offense to the LA boy but if that is all we kill in a hunt we have problems. I would not have even taken pictures of those ducks. I can promise you one thing no Kansas boy is going to teach anyone in louisiana about duck hunting.
Attachments
attachment 7.jpeg
attachment 5.jpeg
rhino2671
Newb

Postby Original Duckster » Tue Dec 24, 2013 8:45 am

Black Desert from the Dakotas to Des Allemands.

Never get off the ground with that Larry! You know that us Catahoula boys will put a stop to anything that doesn't help us! :biggrin: We can raise more hell that most you know.

Merry Christmas! I hope all of you have a very safe and enjoyable time during the holidays.

BTW.......DU and Delta sponsor for years.
When in doubt, pee on it.
Original Duckster
hunter

Postby rhino2671 » Tue Dec 24, 2013 8:53 am

Just in case you wan5ed to say something about no mallards....
Attachments
IMG_75111985382181.jpeg
IMG_75144840362650.jpeg
IMG_75256535736184.jpeg
IMG_75170791809182.jpeg
IMG_75339369201761.jpeg
rhino2671
Newb

Postby TomKat » Tue Dec 24, 2013 10:00 am

rhino2671 wrote:I like how the Kansas boy posted those pictures like its alot of ducks. No offense to the LA boy but if that is all we kill in a hunt we have problems. I would not have even taken pictures of those ducks. I can promise you one thing no Kansas boy is going to teach anyone in louisiana about duck hunting.

If thats the case why are all of your sisters crying and whining in this thread? You need to go tell them how much better you are before they have a diaper accident.

TomKat
Dorothy

Postby Alex.18 » Tue Dec 24, 2013 10:06 am

Why dont you answer the question tomkat? DU doing some work for you or around you?
Alex.18
hunter

Postby alans » Tue Dec 24, 2013 10:09 am

So why are duck holes being built for farmers to lease out with grant money from the government? Technically that's everyone's tax dollars. Its basically giving landowners free money by letting du do all the work with our tax dollars since supposedly du members don't foot the bill. Since the pumps burned up why pump the sanctuary? All the ducks just sit tight right there.
alans
hunter

Postby alans » Tue Dec 24, 2013 10:16 am

I'm killing ducks Kansas.... just not any gadwalls or teal. Only mallards, wood ducks and the occasional wigeon. I'm griping because I'm tired du doing projects for farmers and landowners to lease out. If du builds it with government money then the people should be able to hunt it.
alans
hunter

Postby wpevey » Tue Dec 24, 2013 5:13 pm

Lreynolds wrote:
wpevey wrote:Every time I open my DU magazine there is some new project Du is building for duck habitat but it is NEVER in this state it seems. i would love to know the last time DU spent any money on a big habitat restoration project south of Alexandria and east of Lafeyette.

You haven't been paying much attention because they just completed 2 projects at Pointe-aux-Chenes WMA, are in progress on a project at Sherburne WMA, have completed a number of crevasse-splay projects near the mouth of the MS River, built a terracing project at Lafitte in Jefferson Parish, and were approved for the Liner's Canal and Carencro Bayou projects in Terrebonne Parish. And those are just the ones I can think of off the top of my head. Some public and some private ...... go figure.

Well thank you for correcting me again Mr. Reynolds. I was serious when I asked the questions about the last project in SE LA. I quit paying attention to DU about a year ago, and got much less involved several years ago. As I said I've always applauded them for the work on the breeding grounds and remained supportive of them b/c of that. But the meetings and events I attended around me were always a practice in futility to get any real action or information, it was always just an excuse for people to have a party. It seemed there was never any real interest in problems with the areas I hunt. Most of the more prominent members I talk to were content with what was being done at that time. Of course most all of them at that time never hunted public land and very few even hunted in our area so they had less skin in the game it seemed.
wpevey
hunter

Postby H2OfowlND » Tue Dec 24, 2013 7:11 pm

At the current rate of the loss of CRP in the prairie pothole region, there won't be any ducks in 10 years. I know, I'm from ND, but live down here now. I was back home this fall and full sections of CRP were plowed under for corn and soy beans. If that continues, there won't be ducks for anybody, anywhere. I was shocked to see the amount of habitat loss. It's not just ducks, but deer and upland birds that need that habitat.

Also, DU isn't real big in my stomping grounds back home. Known of landowners to turn down guys who have DU on their truck or clothing. If you do or don't support them, support someone with a voice to get the sportsman voice heard.

H2O
H2OfowlND
hunter

Postby TomKat » Tue Dec 24, 2013 8:13 pm

We breed, hatch, and kill huge numbers of teal here.

Over 96% of Kansas (and its a good sized state) is owned by private citizens. Yet I always have places to hunt.

DU does a good job here. Sorry you are not getting what ever it is you are looking for.

This season we raised out Canada daily limit to 6 per day and our snow goose to 50 geese per man per day.

Maybe we are killing all of them before they can make it down there.

TomKat
Dorothy

Postby southbistineau » Wed Dec 25, 2013 8:34 am

Tom,

What does Marsh Mutt think about you coming into a Louisiana forum disrespecting a bunch of hunters?

I see both sides of this argument, but you obviously don't understand Louisiana folks.

Merry Christmas
southbistineau
hunter

Postby Alex.18 » Wed Dec 25, 2013 12:41 pm

southbistineau wrote:Tom,

What does Marsh Mutt think about you coming into a Louisiana forum disrespecting a bunch of hunters?

I see both sides of this argument, but you obviously don't understand Louisiana folks.

Merry Christmas

Dont worry about it man. Ill take his silence on that question that i asked TWICE as an answer as the fact that DU does work for him
Alex.18
hunter

Postby Rick Hall » Wed Dec 25, 2013 6:44 pm

I don't "hate" DU, but I do think they screwed the pooch by taking too much credit for bird numbers they had relatively little influence over, as it's now come home to roost as catching too much blame for things they've still relatively little influence over. And I'm old enough to remember their move from spending on breeding habitat only to also spending on migration habitat was prompted by folks crying for it.

Think it's interesting that some of you are now posting about hunting blues in wheat fields and specks near Crowley, because both were unheard of not so very long ago, and there's no way to credit or blame DU or anyone but Ma Nature and we hunters for either opportunity. Our camp in Klondike is decorated with 1940s and '50s photos from a previous camp there, and the only geese in those photos are what appear the giant Canadas that no longer migrate much of anywhere, much less to SWLA. There are no blues in those photos, because they then held to the deep coastal marsh, and it's my understanding the specks were still in Texas.

Something changed, and specks and blues started making use of SWLA rice lands near the marsh, then spreading out and eventually, to our loss of those relatively new resources, started wintering farther and farther north as weather and gun pressure allowed. DU didn't do it. Rich bastards up north didn't do it. Ma Nature and her birds did it, likely with a push from our blind-in-every-field gun pressure here in SWLA and the lure of soil saving, grain exposing no till farming to our north. And Ma Nature and her birds aren't likely to undo it unless there's a cycle of winters with snow deep enough to deter feeding reaching well down the flyway. Ice ups, especially relatively short lived ones, only shuffle birds with plentiful field feed to nearby sources of open water, far, far and away more of which are natural, industrial by-products or simply held open by rafting birds than kept open by hunters' ice eaters and pumps.

So cuss DU or whoever all you want (I'm no fan), but "stuff" happens on a much grander scale than they or we could dream of significantly influencing.
If you think I'm wrong, you might be right.
Rick Hall
hunter

Postby Indaswamp » Wed Dec 25, 2013 8:33 pm

Lreynolds wrote:

tell me more about the liners canal and Carencro bayou projects.
The Cajun 7 Course Meal; 1 lb. of boudin and a six pack of Abita beer.

Save the Marsh, Eat a Nutria!

Never fart in your waders, it'll give you WORTS.
Indaswamp
Forum Moderator

Postby Indaswamp » Wed Dec 25, 2013 8:39 pm

Rick Hall wrote:I don't "hate" DU, but I do think they screwed the pooch by taking too much credit for bird numbers they had relatively little influence over, as it's now come home to roost as catching too much blame for things they've still relatively little influence over. And I'm old enough to remember their move from spending on breeding habitat only to also spending on migration habitat was prompted by folks crying for it.

Think it's interesting that some of you are now posting about hunting blues in wheat fields and specks near Crowley, because both were unheard of not so very long ago, and there's no way to credit or blame DU or anyone but Ma Nature and we hunters for either opportunity. Our camp in Klondike is decorated with 1940s and '50s photos from a previous camp there, and the only geese in those photos are what appear the giant Canadas that no longer migrate much of anywhere, much less to SWLA. There are no blues in those photos, because they then held to the deep coastal marsh, and it's my understanding the specks were still in Texas.

Something changed, and specks and blues started making use of SWLA rice lands near the marsh, then spreading out and eventually, to our loss of those relatively new resources, started wintering farther and farther north as weather and gun pressure allowed. DU didn't do it. Rich bastards up north didn't do it. Ma Nature and her birds did it, likely with a push from our blind-in-every-field gun pressure here in SWLA and the lure of soil saving, grain exposing no till farming to our north. And Ma Nature and her birds aren't likely to undo it unless there's a cycle of winters with snow deep enough to deter feeding reaching well down the flyway. Ice ups, especially relatively short lived ones, only shuffle birds with plentiful field feed to nearby sources of open water, far, far and away more of which are natural, industrial by-products or simply held open by rafting birds than kept open by hunters' ice eaters and pumps.

So cuss DU or whoever all you want (I'm no fan), but "stuff" happens on a much grander scale than they or we could dream of significantly influencing.

Thank you. Well said Rick. :thumbsup:
The Cajun 7 Course Meal; 1 lb. of boudin and a six pack of Abita beer.

Save the Marsh, Eat a Nutria!

Never fart in your waders, it'll give you WORTS.
Indaswamp
Forum Moderator

Postby duckmnn » Wed Dec 25, 2013 8:59 pm

Straight from Wisconsin ! " WERE for the ducks not the hunters " I heard that myself from some of their big wigs one year.We had gone up there for one of their big festivals.
duckmnn
hunter

Previous

Return to Louisiana Duck Hunting