Exploring Some Bays

Duck hunting for diver species like Canvasbacks, Redheads, Ringnecks, Eiders, Goldeneye and other diver ducks.

Moderators: jamesmc, crewchief252, LayedOut, Dep6

Exploring Some Bays

Postby star882 » Mon Dec 16, 2013 9:53 pm

So now that i have a bigger boat I got out and did alot of exploring of local Bays by my house in Washington over the weekend. Saw alot of divers and sea ducks out there. Just curious What size shells do you guys use while out in the bays for Scoter and divers? Can i stick with 3" #2 or do i need to move up to BB? Also i currently have grass on my boat blind and we had a lot of ducks flying by my boat with it up but just wondering if i should use a dark greyish sheet over the top of the blind instead? I plan to use some Scoter, blue bill, and golden eye decoys when i go out on 3 long lines.
star882
hunter

Re: Exploring Some Bays

Postby ScaupHunter » Tue Dec 17, 2013 9:29 am

I shoot all my Canada Geese with 3" #2's. BB is way overkill. You will miss a lot of birds with the reduced amount of pellets in each load that would have been killed with #2's.
Bella's
Decoy Setting Pro Staff
Boat Operator Pro Staff
Duck Shooting Pro Staff
Warm Towel Pro Staff
Snack Supply Pro Staff

He works for free! Who's the B now?
ScaupHunter
hunter

Postby star882 » Tue Dec 17, 2013 8:23 pm

Thanks for the response. I think ill stick with the #2's then.
star882
hunter

Postby rikasam2013 » Wed Dec 18, 2013 11:29 am

I shoot a fair number of golden eyes each year, typically 40yd shots, I use #1 steel, 1 1/4oz, 3", 12ga. I also use a 10ga, 1 1/2oz, #1. Real good killer there. #2 seems to give cripples for me the later the season goes, so I don't use it. If you can afford it tungsten #4 kills like magic, shot geese and mallards with the last of my wingmaster hd last week. Not buying any more tungsten, TOOOOO spendy!
rikasam2013
hunter

Return to Diver Duck Hunting