Best waders for $150 or under?

Main forum for general non waterfowl discussions as well as general duck hunting information about travel, rules and regulations, and other duck hunting info along with the general topics.

Moderators: Tealer, Indaswamp, Dep6, lostpup, #1wingnut, steve-o, Preacher1011, La. Hunter

Best waders for $150 or under?

Postby ChasinTail » Tue Dec 17, 2013 3:56 am

Need some waders and don't have a lot to spend. What are some good warm waders that will last?
ChasinTail
hunter

Re: Best waders for $150 or under?

Postby jaysweet3 » Tue Dec 17, 2013 5:00 am

Rodgers had a hell of a sale going earlier. $120 on my doorstep.
The road to diabetes will be sweet.
jaysweet3
hunter

Postby Botiz630 » Tue Dec 17, 2013 5:09 am

jaysweet3 wrote:Rodgers had a hell of a sale going earlier. $120 on my doorstep.

Woody and I bought those too. Free shipping and not expensive at all. So far, very happy with them.
http://www.rogerssportinggoods.com/colu ... 19511.html
Holy Molly
Botiz630
Forum Moderator

Postby jkm » Tue Dec 17, 2013 5:17 am

Do those have a smooth transition where the boot starts or is there a sort of ring that is smaller than the boot opening ( not sure what that is called)?
Botiz630 wrote:
jaysweet3 wrote:Rodgers had a hell of a sale going earlier. $120 on my doorstep.

Woody and I bought those too. Free shipping and not expensive at all. So far, very happy with them.
jkm
hunter

Postby ChasinTail » Tue Dec 17, 2013 5:48 am

Those Columbia wigeons? I was just looking at those. Saw some bad reviews and some good.

Cabelas has some pretty good deals but theyre sold out of most sizes and patterns.

Has anybody tried the Guide Gear Waders? These look really nice for the price but I just wonder how durable they are.

http://m.sportsmansguide.com/Product.aspx?a=1332984
ChasinTail
hunter

Postby ChasinTail » Tue Dec 17, 2013 6:00 am

Hey Botiz could you take a picture of the entire waders for me? I'd like a better idea of what they look like. Are they pretty warm?

They have that same deal on Amazon btw
ChasinTail
hunter

Postby Botiz630 » Tue Dec 17, 2013 6:04 am

jkm wrote:Do those have a smooth transition where the boot starts or is there a sort of ring that is smaller than the boot opening ( not sure what that is called)?
Botiz630 wrote:

Little confused what you're asking, but here's a pic of the boot. Does that help?

Holy Molly
Botiz630
Forum Moderator

Postby Botiz630 » Tue Dec 17, 2013 6:07 am

ChasinTail wrote:Hey Botiz could you take a picture of the entire waders for me? I'd like a better idea of what they look like. Are they pretty warm?

I took that last pic as I was walking out the door to go to work. This evening I'll take a pic of the whole wader for you.

They are plenty warm, from my limited use of them so far. To me, they seem well made.
Holy Molly
Botiz630
Forum Moderator

Postby Silverback4jack » Tue Dec 17, 2013 6:22 am

I paid $171 for these shipped to my house at the beginning of the season now they are on sale for $116 and they offer free shipping also. These only have 600gram of insulate so if it's super cold where you are they may not work but for where I am I think they work great.

http://www.cabelas.com/catalog/search_c ... =IK-830651
Silverback4jack
hunter

Postby ChasinTail » Tue Dec 17, 2013 6:29 am

Botiz630 wrote:
ChasinTail wrote:Hey Botiz could you take a picture of the entire waders for me? I'd like a better idea of what they look like. Are they pretty warm?

I took that last pic as I was walking out the door to go to work. This evening I'll take a pic of the whole wader for you.

They are plenty warm, from my limited use of them so far. To me, they seem well made.

Alright thanks bud.

And silverback, I seen those. I would need a size 10 and regular. They don't have my size. I guess they're trying to move them out, seems like they were $125 an hour ago. May try a size 11 if they go any lower. I'm in KY, not extremely cold but it can get down there at times. I'm sure I'd be fine with a few layers under those though.
ChasinTail
hunter

Postby Silverback4jack » Tue Dec 17, 2013 6:32 am

ChasinTail wrote:

Those Columbia wigeons? I was just looking at those. Saw some bad reviews and some good.

Cabelas has some pretty good deals but theyre sold out of most sizes and patterns.

Has anybody tried the Guide Gear Waders? These look really nice for the price but I just wonder how durable they are.

http://m.sportsmansguide.com/Product.aspx?a=1332984

A buddy of mine is wearing guide gear waders and I think this pair is on his 3rd season. He likes them. I was gonna order a pair since he was confident in them but they didn't offer my size.
Silverback4jack
hunter

Postby jkm » Tue Dec 17, 2013 6:59 am

I should have said on the inside is it smooth? Thanks
Botiz630 wrote:
jkm wrote:Do those have a smooth transition where the boot starts or is there a sort of ring that is smaller than the boot opening ( not sure what that is called)?
Botiz630 wrote:

Little confused what you're asking, but here's a pic of the boot. Does that help?

jkm
hunter

Postby Botiz630 » Tue Dec 17, 2013 7:09 am

Oh, the inside. I don't remember off the top of my head and I'm at work now. This evening I'll check and post up here.
Holy Molly
Botiz630
Forum Moderator

Postby jaysweet3 » Tue Dec 17, 2013 7:31 am

I've had some cheep and some expensive pair. Seems like all can have a rough seam. Good and cut by the end of a day.
The road to diabetes will be sweet.
jaysweet3
hunter

Postby WoodyWhiffingMG » Tue Dec 17, 2013 7:48 am

Botiz630 wrote:

I've only worn them 3 times, but for one of them it was 8* and they kept me warm for 3.5 hours.
There are only two types of people in the world, those who love duck hunting and those who never have duck hunted.
WoodyWhiffingMG
hunter

Postby Omaha Clucker » Tue Dec 17, 2013 7:52 am

I"ve had the 1600 gram Cabelas supermags for 4 years now and have been very happy. I know that's more than you're looking to spend but I bring it up only as comparison to 5mm/1600gram ones Rogers has that are in your wheelhouse. 2 guys I hunt with bought them this year because after taxes here they were $100 less than Cabelas and when mine finally do need replacing I'll go with the Rogers too. If they aren't made by the same manufacturer with a different logo slapped on the front I'd be shocked. The only real difference is the Rogers chest pocket is inside the wader and because of that the waders themselves are cut lower under your arms by a few inches . They're still higher than hip waders but would definitely take on water if you're really up to your chest. I'd say its worth the savings if you're never getting more than waist deep but something to be aware of
Omaha Clucker
hunter

Postby OHIODUCKA5 » Tue Dec 17, 2013 8:03 am

Columbia makes a good pair of waders I have the 3.5 600g ones. Im a tall guy and they are cut just under my arms 130 bucks at Gander Mnt
I hope someday someone remembers this old dog with kindness and gives me to a puppy.

-Gene Hill
OHIODUCKA5
hunter

Postby Boatman » Tue Dec 17, 2013 8:04 am

Cabelas ultimate are the best waders I have ever owned. Been hunting over 40 years 5 days a week now. 100% armorflex top to bottom. No buckle straps.Lifetime warranty. The most comfortable waders ever. And you talk about warm oh yea. A trapper turned me on to these. They are $199 but if you spend some time looking for or asking for a coupon you can get them for $150. No matter what waders you get just remember always get them big so they are not tight and stretch out the seams, that is what will cause them to leak at seams.
Last edited by Boatman on Tue Dec 17, 2013 8:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
There are still things worth dying for and 1 of those things is freedom.

I love Geese

Genesis 27:3 Now then, get your weapons, quiver and bow, go out in the fields and hunt some wild game for me.
Boatman
hunter

Postby teddysberna » Tue Dec 17, 2013 8:07 am

I'm going through my 3rd year with a pair of Columbia's and I am very happy with them. I think they have a lifetime warranty too, and I got mine for right at $120 from Rogers. 1600 grams of insulation and I'm never cold
ByersFarm wrote:
Westtennduckhunter wrote:Sugar is a top secret place.

Sugar is a mythical place, with unicorns and sugar plum ferries. It's a majestic place. I mean moth8rf^@king majestic. Like a bald eagle getting a hand job from the statue of liberty herself.
teddysberna
hunter

Postby GomerPyle » Tue Dec 17, 2013 8:14 am

I have Rogers' "toughman" 5mm 1600's - $150 with free shipping - and I wouldn't hesitate to recommend them to anyone, BUT with 1 stipulation. If you find yourself wading in relatively deep water (maybe up to your belly button) very often, you're going to be cutting it close with these waders. they're a little lower cut on the sides than most, presumably because the handwarmer pocket is on the inside instead of the outside (by the way, it's friggin' fur-lined...not fleece, but [faux] fur, and warm as hell). here's a pic below....

the brown under my arm is one of those drake pullovers that's camo on top and brown on bottom, so that might give you a little reference as to where they're cut.

At the advice of my attorney, I issue the following disclaimer:

"This post may or may not be intended as humor and/or sarcasm and does not necessarily reflect the actual views of the poster."
GomerPyle
hunter

Postby WoodyWhiffingMG » Tue Dec 17, 2013 8:16 am

GomerPyle wrote:I have Rogers' "toughman" 5mm 1600's - $150 with free shipping - and I wouldn't hesitate to recommend them to anyone, BUT with 1 stipulation. If you find yourself wading in relatively deep water (maybe up to your belly button) very often, you're going to be cutting it close with these waders. they're a little lower cut on the sides than most, presumably because the handwarmer pocket is on the inside instead of the outside (by the way, it's friggin' fur-lined...not fleece, but [faux] fur, and warm as hell). here's a pic below....

the brown under my arm is one of those drake pullovers that's camo on top and brown on bottom, so that might give you a little reference as to where they're cut.

Whats the point to having those be chest waders and not waist wader if they are going to cut them so low?
There are only two types of people in the world, those who love duck hunting and those who never have duck hunted.
WoodyWhiffingMG
hunter

Postby GomerPyle » Tue Dec 17, 2013 8:20 am

WoodyWhiffingMG wrote:Whats the point to having those be chest waders and not waist wader if they are going to cut them so low?

yeah, I was a little disappointed that they were so low-cut. But then I reminded myself that these were $100 cheaper than the Cabelas supermags (those were the 2 I'd narrowed it down to) and that I will rarely be going that deep, and I became "OK" with it.
At the advice of my attorney, I issue the following disclaimer:

"This post may or may not be intended as humor and/or sarcasm and does not necessarily reflect the actual views of the poster."
GomerPyle
hunter

Return to The Honey Hole