Decoy Spreads

A place to share Idaho bird hunting knowledge and discuss Idaho hunting tactics.

Moderators: donell67, jjohnson_714, casey_714

Decoy Spreads

Postby duckhunterguy69 » Tue Dec 17, 2013 2:44 pm

Hey all. Just was wondering what kind of spreads people are using this time of year. I have been running a dozen mallards and a dozen honkers. Seems to be working pretty well though hit and miss. What is everyone else trying? Mojos? Full bodies? Big spreads or little spreads? I thought this topic might be interesting for people.
duckhunterguy69
hunter

Re: Decoy Spreads

Postby whiskerbiscuit » Tue Dec 17, 2013 5:39 pm

Waiting for goosepond to chime in....
whiskerbiscuit
hunter

Postby Abomb » Tue Dec 17, 2013 7:44 pm

Movement, lots of it. Killed the crap outa the birds the other day even with two other groups in my area. They were calling like they were in a competition, I love it when guys do that. I just go silent and tug on the jerk a spreader and kill birds. I had 22 dux out and 4 honks.
Abomb
hunter

Postby Perro Negro » Tue Dec 17, 2013 8:01 pm

I have tried a new tactic this year keeping lightweight and easy to set up in mind.
4-6 mallards on a jerk string and occasionally an eight pack of goose shells.
So far it has been working like a charm.
Perro Negro
hunter

Postby Slidellduckhunter » Tue Dec 17, 2013 8:36 pm

I'm with Perro, have definitely toned everything down. Lately I have been hunting the banks on the Snake so I generally use only 4 mallards with 3 of them hens to sort of lure in the single drakes (like street-walker hens I guess?) and down a bit will be a handful of smaller puddle ducks like grey duck and widgeon (been hearing and seeing widgeon lately). Instead of a jerk string I'll set up where there is heavy weed on top of the water and make sure the weights are anchored well in the weeds and let the ducks move in the current - looks good. The mallards will be off to my side a ways but closer to the bank and the puddle ducks more in the current and farther from the shore but more in-line with me than the mallards.

I have also noticed that some of the usual inhabitants of the 2 well-known blinds in my area will call like it's no tomorrow (even with no birds in sight) so all I'll do is chuckle a bit or give a few quacks and light feed call (overall sometimes less is more). It's a slow way to hunt but I'm a patient guy plus I am obsessed a bit this season with getting ducks with as few of shots as possible so this style of hunting suits. It may hard for some of you to understand but I would truly be disappointed (or rather feel cheated) if I got a limit in only 30-60 minutes; I do enjoy it out there.
Do you know why Cajuns don't hunt elephants? Because the decoys won't fit in their pirogues!
Slidellduckhunter
hunter

Postby goosepond » Wed Dec 18, 2013 9:54 am

to whiskerbiscuit: Here, I'm chiming in, ding dong ding dong enjoy :hi:
goosepond
hunter

Postby duckhunterguy69 » Wed Dec 18, 2013 7:15 pm

How has the fog affected the small spreads? Seem like they would be harder for the birds to see.
duckhunterguy69
hunter

Postby Slidellduckhunter » Wed Dec 18, 2013 8:17 pm

How has the fog affected the small spreads? Seem like they would be harder for the birds to see.

This is a very interesting question...my first thought would be 'probably not' as it would be the profile and basic shape of the decoy that would matter (since they are not illuminated) therefore it would not seem to make a difference if you had 6 decoys or 36 - if they see one then you are okay (so to speak). However, on second thought it could make a difference; if you have 36 decoys strung out in a rough line then a duck passing perpendicular (or close to perpendicular) over the decoys it will have a greater chance of seeing at least a couple of decoys within a 20-30 yard linear area; with only 6 decoys then the duck has to be right over those 6 to see them so if it flies a few yards on either side of them then they may be missed. This brings up the importance of calling especially if you have a small spread, perhaps if the duck does not see any decoys on first glance any calls made should catch its attention for a few seconds and maybe have it give you a second or third look increasing the chances of it seeing your decoys.

Maybe we should invent illuminated decoys for foggy days...hmmm...
Do you know why Cajuns don't hunt elephants? Because the decoys won't fit in their pirogues!
Slidellduckhunter
hunter

Postby waveslider » Wed Dec 18, 2013 8:47 pm

In Missouri, we painted all the decoys flat black and slayed ducks in the fog.
Internet Scouting Pro Staff
waveslider
hunter

Postby Perro Negro » Wed Dec 18, 2013 11:48 pm

I hunted thick fog last Saturday on small water over four decoys. There weren't many opportunities but I managed to take five birds with seven shots. Soft single quacks did the job.
Setting yourself up where the birds want to be seems to be more important than the size of your spread.
Perro Negro
hunter

Postby duckhunterguy69 » Thu Dec 19, 2013 9:01 am

That's always the ticket, trying to set up where the birds want to be. Although easier said than done.
duckhunterguy69
hunter

Postby blackrock » Thu Dec 19, 2013 8:08 pm

image.jpg
I just put out 9 decoys today for an hour and half in the middle of the day. Cheyenne and I managed some nice Wigeon drakes. The Greenheads were probably out at the fields. We had a lot of ducks come in, but I just took the sure things to get some more solid retrieves on the dog. As mentioned above, location! This corner always has ducks on it.......
blackrock
hunter

Return to Idaho Duck Hunting