Brand New SBE2 Not Firing

A shotgun forum for basic gun smithing, repair, modifications, and all other detailed shotgun information.

Moderators: waterfowlhunter, don taylor

Brand New SBE2 Not Firing

Postby matt13ar » Tue Dec 17, 2013 3:56 pm

I am hoping that one of you guys can help me with an issue that unfortunately is hitting me right in the middle of waterfowl season. Thanks in advance for everyone's help.

I took my brand new SBE2 out of the box last weekend and shot it for the first time on a waterfowl hunt. I was shooting Winchester Xpert Hi-Velocity 3.5 inch 2's and the weather was not extremely cold nor wet. Periodically during hunting I would pull the trigger and nothing would happen. The misfires occurred randomly on the 1st, 2nd or 3rd shot and sometimes the gun would fire and cycle all 3 rounds without issuue. I also shot the Winchester 3.5 inch Blind Sides and experienced the same malfunction.

After experiencing the misfires and discussing the issue with the other SBE2 owners at the club, we thought it might have either come from the factory with inadequate lubrication or possibly had a foreign object somewhere in the mechanics. We disasembled the gun completely, including all springs, firing pin, etc. and did not find anything unusual with any of the components. We thouroughly oiled all components and assembled the gun only to find the misfires continuing randomly.

When the misfires occur, it feels like the trigger is not pulling back completely and engaging the firing pin. The bolt appears to be fully closed and if I pull the trigger several times after a misfire (without making any other adjustment), the gun eventually fires.

I own a total of 3 SBE's and have had enough experience with them to know that something is just not right with this gun. I called Benelli customer service and was given the comical advice to "try different ammunition", "make sure the bolt is fully closed", and "adequately oil the gun components." They offered to have me send the gun to them for an expected turnaround time of 4 to 6 weeks which is basically going to be the rest of my season.

Anyone have thoughts on this one? I have a big goose hunt this Sunday and really need this gun in service. Thanks a bunch!
matt13ar
hunter

Re: Brand New SBE2 Not Firing

Postby Nelliboy2 » Tue Dec 17, 2013 4:12 pm

Hmm that is weird. Possible the ammo is the problem however when it does shoot does it put a pretty good dent in the primers? How about when it doesn't shoot does it still dent the primers?

When it doesn't fire do you hear a click? Clicks mean that the bolt isn't fully closed however it's weird that it would preform like this on the second or third shot. Usually it's the first shot that you get the click only if the action is sluggish will you usually get a click on the second and third rounds.

I'd check a couple of parts:

1. Pull the bolt apart and inspect that nothing is broke.

2. I'd take the trigger assemble out and release the hammer (aka hold your finger on the hammer and pull the trigger to release it). Work it a little bit and see if there is good tension. You may want to release the hammer multiple times to insure the trigger is working properly. Which leads me to my last question, are you having to pull the trigger harder than normal when it doesn't fire?

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk
If money talks; then I got a lot to say i'm on the grind trying to make a hundred thousand dollars a day! We play with big cash and we blowin money fast. I need a G for every light bulb on the Vegas strip!!!
Nelliboy2
hunter

Postby Cujo1 » Tue Dec 17, 2013 4:27 pm

You said you own 3 other SBE's, send the gun in and use another.
All turkeys must die!

bighop wrote:Destined to be a child of the system now. Bounced around from house to house, abused, mistreated, earning his way on the streets. There's probably an expensive crack habit and a pair of those hind-leg wheels in his near futre.
Cujo1
hunter

Postby dsm16428 » Tue Dec 17, 2013 4:47 pm

Cujo1 wrote:You said you own 3 other SBE's, send the gun in and use another.

This.

PLUS, You probably should have broken it down and thoroughly cleaned it before you ever put a round through it. Likely there could be some excess kosmoline in the trigger group, causing it to seize up. MOST shutguns, I don't care if it's even the $1500 ones come packed in some sort of heavy rust preventative for storage once they leave the factory and you need to degunk them and then lightly lube them before you fire a single shot.
Big Al's "Take-Em" Style Silhoutte Decoy Pro-Staff.
N.O. Outdoors Guide Service, President and CEO. "You try harder so we don't have to."
Don't do anything you wouldn't want to admit to the paramedics after.
dsm16428
hunter

Postby matt13ar » Tue Dec 17, 2013 4:51 pm

Nelliboy2 wrote:Hmm that is weird. Possible the ammo is the problem however when it does shoot does it put a pretty good dent in the primers? How about when it doesn't shoot does it still dent the primers?

When it doesn't fire do you hear a click? Clicks mean that the bolt isn't fully closed however it's weird that it would preform like this on the second or third shot. Usually it's the first shot that you get the click only if the action is sluggish will you usually get a click on the second and third rounds.

2. I'd take the trigger assemble out and release the hammer (aka hold your finger on the hammer and pull the trigger to release it). Work it a little bit and see if there is good tension. You may want to release the hammer multiple times to insure the trigger is working properly. Which leads me to my last question, are you having to pull the trigger harder than normal when it doesn't fire?

First of all, thanks for the response which is most appreciated. When the gun does not fire I do not hear a click. When the gun does fire, it is striking the primer well and putting a typical dent in it. When the gun does not fire the firing pin does not hit the primer at all.

On your recommendations, when I dissasembled the gun I did not find any noticable damage or defect on the bolt or trigger mechanism. I will take the trigger assembly out tonight and attempt your second recommendation.

On your last question, yes - when the gun does not fire I have to pull the trigger harder than normal several times for it to fire.
matt13ar
hunter

Postby matt13ar » Tue Dec 17, 2013 4:52 pm

Cujo1 wrote:You said you own 3 other SBE's, send the gun in and use another.

Need all of the guns for clients.
matt13ar
hunter

Postby Nelliboy2 » Tue Dec 17, 2013 5:37 pm

matt13ar wrote:
Nelliboy2 wrote:Hmm that is weird. Possible the ammo is the problem however when it does shoot does it put a pretty good dent in the primers? How about when it doesn't shoot does it still dent the primers?

First of all, thanks for the response which is most appreciated. When the gun does not fire I do not hear a click. When the gun does fire, it is striking the primer well and putting a typical dent in it. When the gun does not fire the firing pin does not hit the primer at all.

On your recommendations, when I dissasembled the gun I did not find any noticable damage or defect on the bolt or trigger mechanism. I will take the trigger assembly out tonight and attempt your second recommendation.

On your last question, yes - when the gun does not fire I have to pull the trigger harder than normal several times for it to fire.

With regards to the first recommendation I meant disassemble the bolt to insure all those components are intact(sound be with your description)

If money talks; then I got a lot to say i'm on the grind trying to make a hundred thousand dollars a day! We play with big cash and we blowin money fast. I need a G for every light bulb on the Vegas strip!!!
Nelliboy2
hunter

Postby winchester1852 » Tue Dec 17, 2013 5:41 pm

matt13ar wrote:

the bolt must not be in full battery try cycling the action by hand or going to a range and break her in a little a box of shells would get things nice and loose.
if you can read this your almost as smart as a dolphin.
winchester1852
hunter

Postby thomashamm2 » Wed Dec 18, 2013 9:23 pm

well i got two things to say. when you first buy a gun, you should clean it out as much as you can, spray some solvent in there that dries, and then lube it. the grease that are in new guns accumilate dirt that can possilbly cause a malfunction. also with new benelli owners, make sure you slam that bolt shut hard or it wont seat properly. dont set the gun down hard on the buttstock because that will pull the bolt out of batter. benelli click is a common problem with new guns because the springs are so light and not broken in. if that doesnt work call benelli
thomashamm2
hunter

Postby rerhardt » Thu Dec 19, 2013 7:41 pm

I've owned 9 different benellis and have never heard of this, I agree that you should take the trigger group out and see if the hammer falls forward, don't let it slam keep your finger over the hammer. if this works all the time work the safety back and fourth a little and then try it, I have a feeling something is in the trigger group blow it out real well with air. its NOT the oil or grease causing the trigger to be hard!!!! Please let us know what you find
rerhardt
hunter

Postby waterfowlhunter » Sat Dec 21, 2013 8:23 am

Pull the trigger assembly out of one that works and install it in the faulty gun. If it works then you apparently have an issue with the trigger assembly. it is possible that the safety has a burr on it or was not machined correctly and is slightly catching on the trigger after recoil. As a test you could remove the safety completely and test fire it. I have seen this as an issue on other shotguns and had to replace the safety.

My guess would be the safety is holding you up...
"A free people ought to be armed" George Washington 1790

‘For those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety, deserve neither Liberty nor safety.’ —Ben Franklin.”
waterfowlhunter
Forum & State Moderator

Postby waterfowlhunter » Sat Dec 21, 2013 8:24 am

you could just try cycling the safety a few times the next time is sticks and see if that is causing the issue.

‘For those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety, deserve neither Liberty nor safety.’ —Ben Franklin.”
waterfowlhunter
Forum & State Moderator

Postby dsm16428 » Sat Dec 21, 2013 2:00 pm

thomashamm2 wrote:well i got two things to say. when you first buy a gun, you should clean it out as much as you can, spray some solvent in there that dries, and then lube it. the grease that are in new guns accumilate dirt that can possilbly cause a malfunction. also with new benelli owners, make sure you slam that bolt shut hard or it wont seat properly. dont set the gun down hard on the buttstock because that will pull the bolt out of batter. benelli click is a common problem with new guns because the springs are so light and not broken in. if that doesnt work call benelli

How can you "SLAM" the bolt shut any harder than the main spring already does?! Are you banging on the rear of the bolt handle after you close the thing, because if you are you're going to break something I promise you. The springs are heavy enough to handle the heaviest load (much heavier recoiling than ANY sissy waterfowl load) you can put through them without damaging the gun so there is no way you close the thing any harder than that. The Benelli click is a problem with guys who don't know how to treat their freekin guns too. I have NEVER had a problem with the click and neither have any of my friends or family members that own them because we know how to treat them. We don't throw them around like a boat oar or a chunk of 2x4.
Big Al's "Take-Em" Style Silhoutte Decoy Pro-Staff.
N.O. Outdoors Guide Service, President and CEO. "You try harder so we don't have to."
Don't do anything you wouldn't want to admit to the paramedics after.
dsm16428
hunter

Postby waterfowlhunter » Sat Dec 21, 2013 2:46 pm

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
I do throw mine around like a boat oar and have use it as such too. It gets banged around a bit and has beauty marks to show for it but all of them have functioned straight out of the box without cleaning them out first. Unlike some manufacturers, Benelli does not seem to "DIP" their guns in grease before packaging them. I have owned Benellis since they were first imported(HK) and have had the click a few times but it was NEVER the guns fault. It either got bumped on the stock or had a bad round (Remington sportsman a couple of times) that caused the non fire issue. But if your experienced you do not even dismount the gun, just reach up cycle the bolt and shoot. :thumbsup: Then you can pick up the ejected round and evaluate the issue later. I will say that Benelli has one of the lightest of the Semi auto recoil springs. Yes I have gasers too but can not count on them when the weather gets nasty.

waterfowlhunter
Forum & State Moderator

Return to Shotgun Repair & Modifications Forum