Mallards in Aransas county!!

Some of the best waterfowl hunting in the nation. Learn and share your experiences duck hunting in the Republic of Texas. From the Canada geese of the Panhandle to the Snows of Houston and estuaries for ducks on the coast and the livestock impoundments to the west.

Moderators: HENDU3270, DoubleBayou, whistlin_wings

Postby hawkeye55 » Tue Dec 17, 2013 7:00 pm

NOT!

So to the fellow I listened to Saturday morning constantly go through the classic come backs and hail calls would you please leave your mallard call in your pocket for the majority of your trip when you come to the coast. Please consider buying one or more of the following: a pintail whistle, a 5 in one whistle, a teal call or a gadwall call. Learn to use your mallard call as a single cluck (gadwall and spoonies), a quiet feed call and learn to modify it for divers (a much reduced brrrr).

granted your mallard call did great calling in those redheads.

Also when there is little to no wind please realize your conversation carries a good 300 plus yards. And yes when you come in after someone else and they flash their q beam at you it means you are setting up a little too close.

Done.
hawkeye55
hunter

Re: Mallards in Aransas county!!

Postby Indiancreekducks87 » Tue Dec 17, 2013 7:13 pm

Feel better? Lol
"keep the lord in your heart, and keep your powder dry..." chris knight
Indiancreekducks87
hunter

Postby stumpjumper1590 » Tue Dec 17, 2013 7:46 pm

Sorry hawkeye.

Sent from my busted iPhone
"The very atmosphere of firearms anywhere and everywhere restrains evil interference - they deserve a place of honor with all that's good" -- George Washington

2013-2014 Season Strap

3- Blue wing teal
stumpjumper1590
hunter

Postby Duck_Happy » Tue Dec 17, 2013 9:07 pm

Thought it was a light house
Duck_Happy
hunter

Postby tako1972 » Tue Dec 17, 2013 9:31 pm

Last weekend of the split i took a friend out on his first duck hunt. five minutes til a truck pulled up on the bank behind us. They proceeded to get out, loud as can be then try and start a conversation with me about where I'd possibly seen some duck weed. then they try and launch their jon boat, loud as can be. Mind you, first shooting minutes are now passing and ducks are dropping in on us. They finally get their boat in deep enough to get somewhat floating. Then they get to pulling on the pull start to their outboard, won't turn. So they are still looking like the keystone cops pulling away at the cord,drifting away and finally get. Than they stop not too far away. Aaaargh, if it hadn't had looked so crazy and they weren't youngsters I would have said something but I held my tongue. Needless to say i told my buddy it is not supposed to start like that.
tako1972
hunter

Postby Indiancreekducks87 » Tue Dec 17, 2013 10:22 pm

If it makes y'all feel any better I have been dealing with disrespectful trespassers all day lol.... The idiots hit private too!!! /:
"keep the lord in your heart, and keep your powder dry..." chris knight
Indiancreekducks87
hunter

Postby tako1972 » Tue Dec 17, 2013 11:00 pm

I've had very very few negative experiences involving other hunters because I stick to certain rules. It's also rare for me to hunt weekends. I have this year more than ever because of work though.
tako1972
hunter

Postby Duck_Happy » Wed Dec 18, 2013 4:38 am

Going to Thursday, friday, and saturday cant wait for the first two days but saturdays are crazy here
Duck_Happy
hunter

Postby MarkM » Wed Dec 18, 2013 8:34 am

:sarcmark:
Attachments
feel.PNG
feel.PNG (16.24 KiB) Viewed 899 times
possumfoot wrote:i cant remember who said it, but they said it best.. to a grown man, watching child birth is like a 9yo watching disney land burn to the ground..

Locked&Loaded wrote:
Indaswamp wrote:...metrosexual....

:lol3: I am!
MarkM
hunter

Postby SAHunter1983 » Tue Dec 24, 2013 5:56 pm

I actually shot at a group of 5 mallards outside Rockport Sunday. I couldn't believe my eyes. I was choked up and missed every shot but the green head white neck on 3 of the 5 birds was unmistakeable at 10 yds. And we weren't calling at all, they just dumped in out of nowhere.

Sent from my LG-LS980 using Tapatalk
SAHunter1983
hunter

Postby :-) » Tue Dec 24, 2013 8:02 pm

Using a mallard call in the area isn't all that crazy...those ducks spend all year together, and sometimes respond very well. I'm sure we've all had Redheads, Ringneck, Pintail, Gadwall, Widgeon, Teal, Wood Ducks etc come in feet down over mallard decoys while sending out a few quacks to draw attention to our spread.

Also...there is a location along the Texas coast, locals say it holds mallards when daytime temps remain cold. It's an area between two islands one big & one small. One is named after a type of horse, and the other famous for fishing in the fall. To simply tell you the exact location would be a sham...I would rather be struck by a rock than tell you where they can be found.
:-)
hunter

Postby stumpjumper1590 » Tue Dec 24, 2013 9:09 pm

If we have pintails that circle more then two or three times we through in some quacks and feed chatter along with the whistle.

Sent from my busted iPhone
"The very atmosphere of firearms anywhere and everywhere restrains evil interference - they deserve a place of honor with all that's good" -- George Washington

2013-2014 Season Strap

3- Blue wing teal
stumpjumper1590
hunter

Return to Texas Duck Hunting