Want to get into hunting, need some advice!

If you are looking for the best duck hunting in Colorado, this is the place.

Moderator: dukhnter7

Want to get into hunting, need some advice!

Postby illbell » Wed Dec 18, 2013 11:33 am

Hey there everyone, my name is Jim, I'm 31 and I live in Erie, CO and want to get into hunting waterfowl.

A brief background:

I moved here from Florida 2 years ago and no one in my family is the outdoors type. I fished a LOT in FL out of my kayak that I set up for fishing. Since moving here I picked up a shotgun and have been shooting a lot of trap.

I've never hunted before but have always wanted to, I just never knew anyone to show me the ropes. Now that I'm in CO, I think it's time as my brother in law would like to get into waterfowl hunting as well. So now I'll have a partner.

Where does one get started? I've watched a ton of videos on how to clean waterfowl and it seems easy enough, I can fillet a fish with the best of em :) I know I'll need the proper licensing, but other than that, where are some good public areas for beginners that are state owned and free to hunt at? What will I need just to get started (bare minimum as I'm broke!) I have a remington 870 express and plenty of ammo, but that's all I've got!

Also if you have any tips you can share with a complete newbie I'd be forever grateful! I hope to get into this wonderful sport and hang out here and learn as much as possible.

Thanks in advance!

Jim
illbell
hunter

Re: Want to get into hunting, need some advice!

Postby illbell » Wed Dec 18, 2013 11:37 am

OH, and I guess there are two types of duck/goose hunting? Over land and over water. I don't have a boat and can't afford good waders so over land would be the preferred method :)
illbell
hunter

Postby aclumpkin » Wed Dec 18, 2013 11:59 am

If it were me, I would start doing some searches on this site for other threads just like this. There are lots of areas to cover and some may not apply to you. For example, I could recommend some waterfowl clothe items but I have no idea what is in your closet. (You said all you have is a gun and ammo but I assume you at least have some hunting clothes.) If I remember correctly, there are some other threads on this site where people asked essentially what you are and there were tons of great suggestions and links to lists of essential gear items.

illbell wrote:OH, and I guess there are two types of duck/goose hunting? Over land and over water. I don't have a boat and can't afford good waders so over land would be the preferred method :)

Starting out, you can just lay on the ground and put a piece of burlap over you to conceal yourself. You also can look at yard sales, Craigslist, etc for used decoys and calls. This site has a classified section as well.

Being in NC, can't help you on any public hunting spots in CO but good luck! Oh, and be careful... this can get very addicting... and expensive quick! :beer:
When you are dead, you don't know that you are dead. It is difficult only for the others.
It is the same when you are stupid.
aclumpkin
hunter

Postby illbell » Wed Dec 18, 2013 1:37 pm

Thanks for the reply. I did some searching around and have found similar threads but not exactly what I was looking for. I'll do some more digging. I appreciate your advice.

Jim
illbell
hunter

Postby SHVLHDJIM » Sun Dec 22, 2013 6:08 pm

Agree with aclumpkin, I started with some creative camo (burlap) and some Craigslist decoys. Waterfowling can get expensive so start with the essentials and work up from there. As for areas, Colorado has a ton of public land, if you don't have a boat look at all the public lands feeding off the rivers s platte and Ar.
SHVLHDJIM
hunter

Postby duckbuddy » Tue Dec 24, 2013 8:33 am

The best advice I can give you is, put your money towards fuel. If you can find the birds and secure a location, decoys will come faster than you can respond. Slowly build your arsenal and go out. You will learn as you fail. I started from a set of 15.99 flamboos, bootless stocking waders, one of those camo blind sheets, and a clearance phat lady. If worse comes to worse, $150/person with a guide will teach you wonders. Its actually cheap considering you dont have to buy camo clothing, decoys, calls, dogs, trailers, scouting time, and lease fees.
DUCK HUNTING ITS NOT ABOUT THE BAG ITS ABOUT GETTING AWAY
duckbuddy
hunter

Return to Colorado Duck Hunting