Duck Hunting Darien

For those who enjoy duck hunting in Georgia this is the place to discuss everything from Georgia duck hunting outfitters to hunting pintails, mallards and canvasbacks on lake Seminole.

Moderators: Dep6, Remman, caleb

Duck Hunting Darien

Postby joealto91 » Thu Dec 19, 2013 8:10 am

I am looking to do some duck hunting down in Darien, I have a boat and dog and would like to put in somewhere down there and find a good place to hunt without having to worry about the quota hunts and what not. I heard maybe Butler Island can be hunted without having to go through the quota and such. Any insight would be great. Thanks
joealto91
hunter

Re: Duck Hunting Darien

Postby Woodiewacker » Thu Dec 19, 2013 8:41 am

Butler island is quotahunt ONLY rhetts island is wed sat sundays and national holidays open to the.public... be prepared to wirk at ir...lake champney is also there and its a walk in only spot.. i used to do decent there with a small.canoe to tote my gear and get over the peremiter dich where others had cut the grass to make a " boat ramp" near the open pools of wowater
Woodiewacker
hunter

Postby joealto91 » Thu Dec 19, 2013 9:34 am

Thanks I have a fairly large wide fiberglass boat with a 25 4 stroke, will any of these places work alright with that?
joealto91
hunter

Postby Woodiewacker » Sat Dec 21, 2013 9:21 pm

If anybody ever asks me to hual.my buddies boat over the.dike again ill.kill them...16 ft carolina skiff with a merc 25 4 stroke big foot...summabieotch was hell!!! Watch the tides down there..it gets muddy and waterless quick..that boatyou have sounds a bitheavy to.drag over into rhetts..bring a winch andsome friends go in.at high tide...thats about all ill give ya...its a hunt that will put hair on your chest ifyou arentreadyfor it
Woodiewacker
hunter

Postby whackandstack » Sat Dec 28, 2013 5:11 pm

Butler is a quota hunt but there are always quota hunter that dont show and you go at standby and hope to get drawn which we have for the last 10 times i have been there. I always get on on standby so you do not need a quota. And you always have a backup plan of champney island or rhetts and maybe even the river.
whackandstack
hunter

Postby Remman » Sun Dec 29, 2013 10:25 am

The dikes will kill that fiberglass boat, my welded boat didn't last long going in and out. Up to you at least try it at high tide
There is no such thing as a stranger,....... Just friends I haven't met!

"Failure isn't not knowing how to post a picture. Failure is doing it twice and then catching a wise attitude about it."....... Paul D
Remman
Forum & State Moderator

Return to Georgia Duck Hunting