last day!!

Waterfowl topics at their best, post here and read others views on Vermont duck hunting

Moderator: yellodog1

last day!!

Postby duckin-A » Thu Dec 19, 2013 6:27 pm

any reports on the last day of the season?????
" I spent all my money on Liquor & Women,
and the rest I just wasted"!!!
duckin-A
hunter

Re: last day!!

Postby RangerX » Thu Dec 19, 2013 6:29 pm

I heard it was good... whistlers cranking... I didn't make it out myself... sick of shooting those bastards.

We are heading down to Barnegat bay in a few weeks to finish our season....

Did you make it out?
RangerX
hunter

Postby IslandHunter » Thu Dec 26, 2013 9:13 am

Accessing the remaining open water was the principal challenge those last few days, but we managed to find great shooting on the broad lake for the 15th & season closer on the 19th. Mass flights of birds coming steadily out of the north like I hadn't seen in quite some time - whistlers, bufflehead, hoodies, came frequently, but the mallards & blacks came into the decoys opening day style and made it a hunt to remember.

Be safe & best of luck in NJ,
MP
IslandHunter
hunter

Postby RangerX » Fri Dec 27, 2013 2:43 pm

IslandHunter wrote:Accessing the remaining open water was the principal challenge those last few days, but we managed to find great shooting on the broad lake for the 15th & season closer on the 19th. Mass flights of birds coming steadily out of the north like I hadn't seen in quite some time - whistlers, bufflehead, hoodies, came frequently, but the mallards & blacks came into the decoys opening day style and made it a hunt to remember.

MP

Thanks man... I grew up on LBI N.J. so I have a couple friends down there giving me the daily scouting report; plus another DHC member in the NJ forum giving me some direction, we have our 5 days all planned out. Hopefully we'll get a seaduck hunt in, depending on the wind.

Glad to hear you hammered em on the 19th; I thought about going out, but couldn't find anyone to go... didn't want to deal with the boat on my own or take someone that was unfamliar with late season hunting, just incase. Plus, most of my decoys were a block of ice and had no motivation to thaw/chip em out. I hunted on the 15th, was a great shoot, we ended up with a couple wall hanger blacks and a mixed bag of divers....

Nick
RangerX
hunter

Postby VTfowl » Sat Dec 28, 2013 11:04 am

seven mallards by 10:30... we were on shy from our limit of mallards, we found open water on a shore line a threw out a few decyoys
if it flies it dies
VTfowl
hunter

Postby pete/pmr » Tue Jan 14, 2014 11:20 pm

RangerX wrote:
IslandHunter wrote:Accessing the remaining open water was the principal challenge those last few days, but we managed to find great shooting on the broad lake for the 15th & season closer on the 19th. Mass flights of birds coming steadily out of the north like I hadn't seen in quite some time - whistlers, bufflehead, hoodies, came frequently, but the mallards & blacks came into the decoys opening day style and made it a hunt to remember.

MP

Thanks man... I grew up on LBI N.J. so I have a couple friends down there giving me the daily scouting report; plus another DHC member in the NJ forum giving me some direction, we have our 5 days all planned out. Hopefully we'll get a seaduck hunt in, depending on the wind.

Glad to hear you hammered em on the 19th; I thought about going out, but couldn't find anyone to go... didn't want to deal with the boat on my own or take someone that was unfamliar with late season hunting, just incase. Plus, most of my decoys were a block of ice and had no motivation to thaw/chip em out. I hunted on the 15th, was a great shoot, we ended up with a couple wall hanger blacks and a mixed bag of divers....

Nick

We'll you could have called me and I would of had to take the day off and hunt with you! You loose my number or something? And down here we had some nice open water,and lots of birds ripping up and down the lake!
2013 Season Totals

Canada Geese 105
Mallards 43
Woodies 31
Teal 16
widgeon 8
Blacks 11
Goldeneyes 25 "Take-em"
Buffleheads 4
Bluebills 1
snows 27
Band Count 5
pete/pmr
hunter

Postby RangerX » Wed Jan 15, 2014 7:30 am

pete/pmr wrote:
RangerX wrote:

MP

Nick

We'll you could have called me and I would of had to take the day off and hunt with you! You loose my number or something? And down here we had some nice open water,and lots of birds ripping up and down the lake!

I'll hold you to that deal next season Pete.... so, we gonna slay some turkeys this year or what?
RangerX
hunter

Postby pete/pmr » Wed Jan 15, 2014 3:50 pm

Any time you want a bird let me know,I got turkeys! If you want to bring the daughter down for her bird,we can do that too,and video it if you want?
2013 Season Totals

Canada Geese 105
Mallards 43
Woodies 31
Teal 16
widgeon 8
Blacks 11
Goldeneyes 25 "Take-em"
Buffleheads 4
Bluebills 1
snows 27
Band Count 5
pete/pmr
hunter

Postby RangerX » Thu Jan 16, 2014 2:21 pm

This will be her last youth day hunt, I'm going to try like hell to convince her to go... if she does, it would be great to have you guide for her. Video.. for sure!
RangerX
hunter

Postby pete/pmr » Sat Feb 22, 2014 7:49 am

So far I have a guy from May 1-3 booked,but I am certain he will be tagged out on the first morning! But he may want to fill his second tag before he leaves for Pa. I have one farm right now that has a flock of about 75 birds on it,with 16 long beards, so I am pretty sure we will end up with some good toms! The farms in Pawlet are holding some nice birds,I went out after this last snowstorm to see how things were going and found a flock of 8 toms holding tight on a manure pile,so the farmer is telling me they are still hanging there and have been joined by about 25 more birds. I am headed out this weekend to scout out some other spots on 22A that I have not been keeping track of yet this year,will up date you when I have more info!

But keep in touch and let me know for sure if you guys are going to come down! I will make sure she gets the chance on a good bird,one bigger than yours! Lol :thumbsup:
2013 Season Totals

Canada Geese 105
Mallards 43
Woodies 31
Teal 16
widgeon 8
Blacks 11
Goldeneyes 25 "Take-em"
Buffleheads 4
Bluebills 1
snows 27
Band Count 5
pete/pmr
hunter

Postby RangerX » Tue Feb 25, 2014 7:30 am

pete/pmr wrote:So far I have a guy from May 1-3 booked,but I am certain he will be tagged out on the first morning! But he may want to fill his second tag before he leaves for Pa. I have one farm right now that has a flock of about 75 birds on it,with 16 long beards, so I am pretty sure we will end up with some good toms! The farms in Pawlet are holding some nice birds,I went out after this last snowstorm to see how things were going and found a flock of 8 toms holding tight on a manure pile,so the farmer is telling me they are still hanging there and have been joined by about 25 more birds. I am headed out this weekend to scout out some other spots on 22A that I have not been keeping track of yet this year,will up date you when I have more info!

But keep in touch and let me know for sure if you guys are going to come down! I will make sure she gets the chance on a good bird,one bigger than yours! Lol :thumbsup:

It's confirmed, she is IN!!!
RangerX
hunter

Postby pete/pmr » Tue Feb 25, 2014 7:31 pm

Okay ! I will search all my haunts to make sure she has a good looking tom in front of her on Saturday morning of youth weekend!
2013 Season Totals

Canada Geese 105
Mallards 43
Woodies 31
Teal 16
widgeon 8
Blacks 11
Goldeneyes 25 "Take-em"
Buffleheads 4
Bluebills 1
snows 27
Band Count 5
pete/pmr
hunter

Postby RangerX » Fri Feb 28, 2014 2:50 pm

pete/pmr wrote:Okay ! I will search all my haunts to make sure she has a good looking tom in front of her on Saturday morning of youth weekend!

You da man
RangerX
hunter

Postby pete/pmr » Thu Mar 13, 2014 6:05 pm

Got a camera man for the hunt also,so we will have two cameras on the hunt,one inside the blind and one outside the blind getting footage and he said he has an editing program to make the video within 3 hours offer the hunt she will have a DVD of her hunt! Cool right! :thumbsup:
2013 Season Totals

Canada Geese 105
Mallards 43
Woodies 31
Teal 16
widgeon 8
Blacks 11
Goldeneyes 25 "Take-em"
Buffleheads 4
Bluebills 1
snows 27
Band Count 5
pete/pmr
hunter

Postby RangerX » Fri Mar 14, 2014 1:13 pm

pete/pmr wrote:Got a camera man for the hunt also,so we will have two cameras on the hunt,one inside the blind and one outside the blind getting footage and he said he has an editing program to make the video within 3 hours offer the hunt she will have a DVD of her hunt! Cool right! :thumbsup:

Man, that would be a dream come true!!!
RangerX
hunter

Return to Vermont Duck Hunting