Early end to the season

A place where you can find Arkansas duck hunting information in the heart and soul of ducking hunting of the US.

Moderators: steve-o, greenster, whisperin' duck, brassass

Early end to the season

Postby jfoster16 » Thu Dec 19, 2013 6:30 pm

I'm a long time lurker but rarely post. So far I've had a pretty good season, but the land owner(who is family) just called my dad and said we no longer have permission to hunt the property. No explanation what so ever. Being boatless and in college this will effectively end the season for me. Anyway I just felt like venting a little bit. Goodluck to everyone else the rest of the season.
Image
jfoster16
hunter
 
Posts: 7
Joined: Mon Oct 29, 2012 6:18 pm


Re: Early end to the season

Postby Slash LaReux » Thu Dec 19, 2013 9:40 pm

Don't give up so easily. Call up your school buddies, it's Christmas break. You gotta no one who can hook you up! Besides looking at your pic the two of you could find some public ground to walk in at.
Slash LaReux
hunter
 
Posts: 91
Joined: Wed Nov 14, 2012 7:17 pm
Location: Stuttgart, Ar

Re: Early end to the season

Postby whisperin' duck » Thu Dec 19, 2013 9:44 pm

Did y'all recently do something to make him mad or have people out there you shouldn't have?
LadyK wrote:Ya know, day to day, government collapse, zombie apocalypse. A woman's job never changes. :lol3:
User avatar
whisperin' duck
Forum & State Moderator
 
Posts: 7156
Joined: Tue May 08, 2012 2:11 pm
Location: North East Arkansas

Re: Early end to the season

Postby jfoster16 » Thu Dec 19, 2013 10:28 pm

whisperin' duck wrote:Did y'all recently do something to make him mad or have people out there you shouldn't have?

I have no idea what his reasoning is. The only people who hunt there are family, and there are only three of us. He doesn't hunt and hasn't stepped foot on the property in the last two years. I'm going to try to hook up with some of my friends to try to get on a few more birds this year. It's just disheartening when you have hunted a place literally your whole life and out of the blue its gone.
jfoster16
hunter
 
Posts: 7
Joined: Mon Oct 29, 2012 6:18 pm

Re: Early end to the season

Postby jfoster16 » Thu Dec 19, 2013 10:42 pm

I've been truly blessed to have the chance to hunt hunt there as long as I did, a lot of people don't have that. I don't feel like anyone owes me anything, I just didn't see this coming. I had just talked to him at Thanksgiving and invited him to come with us, and he seemed real gung ho about the idea.
jfoster16
hunter
 
Posts: 7
Joined: Mon Oct 29, 2012 6:18 pm

Re: Early end to the season

Postby AR Dave » Fri Dec 20, 2013 7:18 am

Especially with family - you need to go straight to him and ask him if you messed up. No matter what - thank him for the years he has let you hunt on it. It might come back to you in the future. Maybe someone else leased it or something? Now we're curious, so let us know when you find out.... :wink:
User avatar
AR Dave
hunter
 
Posts: 651
Joined: Sun Nov 18, 2012 7:13 pm

Re: Early end to the season

Postby SHOTOUT17 » Fri Dec 20, 2013 2:20 pm

No what you are going thru, Had a place like that for 15yrs it was a paradise but our problem was it got sold for 1.6 million and i did not have that kind of cash. One guy owns it all 800 acres,What a waste but like you glad i had it for that long :mad:
SHOTOUT17
hunter
 
Posts: 100
Joined: Sun May 15, 2011 6:18 am

Re: Early end to the season

Postby cannon » Fri Dec 20, 2013 5:03 pm

AR Dave wrote:Especially with family - you need to go straight to him and ask him if you messed up. No matter what - thank him for the years he has let you hunt on it. It might come back to you in the future. Maybe someone else leased it or something? Now we're curious, so let us know when you find out.... :wink:



^This.
Smell that? Smells like sumthin died in here.
User avatar
cannon
hunter
 
Posts: 4275
Joined: Wed Jan 16, 2008 12:17 pm
Location: At the stop sign in the ditch at Byers Farm, unlocking the gate.

Re: Early end to the season

Postby NEAduck » Fri Dec 20, 2013 6:02 pm

That's what its coming to though. If you don't own the land, you can't really ever feel safe. We dealt with the same thing when the game and fish decided to put its foot down on government blinds and such, after the same people had hunted it for 70 years. Its coming to the point where if you don't have cash to own land you won't be able to hunt and that's a shame.
NEAduck
hunter
 
Posts: 33
Joined: Wed Dec 18, 2013 4:37 pm

Re: Early end to the season

Postby ARduckcwby » Sat Dec 21, 2013 2:19 pm

Slash LaReux wrote:Don't give up so easily. Call up your school buddies, it's Christmas break. You gotta no one who can hook you up! Besides looking at your pic the two of you could find some public ground to walk in at.



This.

At least here in AR, we are blessed with a lot of public land opportunities. I hunt public land, and it's not too bad. Sure you might have to wake up earlier, walk a little farther, but it beats sitting at home.
ARduckcwby
hunter
 
Posts: 88
Joined: Mon Apr 22, 2013 8:01 am

Re: Early end to the season

Postby jfoster16 » Sun Dec 22, 2013 9:37 pm

Ok this is what I have figured out so far, the reason for them revoking permission was my sister's husband hunted with us down there, keep in mind they knew he hunted with us down there for the last 3 years, never by himself and they never had issue with it. I think they just wanted an excuse to get us off the land. We scouted out a public land area Saturday, but didn't see any birds at all. The spot looks like it could hold some birds, it's just going to be hit or miss. I'm kind of in the wrong part of the state for public duck hunting. We are calling up people in the area trying to get permission on a few private pieces of land so hopefully we can get on a few. I'm just trying to stay positive, this is really causing a big stink in the family right before Christmas.
jfoster16
hunter
 
Posts: 7
Joined: Mon Oct 29, 2012 6:18 pm

Re: Early end to the season

Postby ArkansasRobertson » Sun Dec 22, 2013 10:37 pm

ARduckcwby wrote:
Slash LaReux wrote:Don't give up so easily. Call up your school buddies, it's Christmas break. You gotta no one who can hook you up! Besides looking at your pic the two of you could find some public ground to walk in at.



This.

At least here in AR, we are blessed with a lot of public land opportunities. I hunt public land, and it's not too bad. Sure you might have to wake up earlier, walk a little farther, but it beats sitting at home.


^^^^^ same thing.

If you give up hunting for the season because you dont have private land to hunt, then maybe duck hunting isnt the right sport for you. There are people who will wait 4 days sleeping in a boat to hunt a semi decent public land spot. you gotta bleed the sport
User avatar
ArkansasRobertson
hunter
 
Posts: 541
Joined: Sat Aug 28, 2010 2:35 pm
Location: Arkansas

Re: Early end to the season

Postby AR Dave » Sun Dec 22, 2013 10:42 pm

I take it they're not fond of your brothernlaw?
User avatar
AR Dave
hunter
 
Posts: 651
Joined: Sun Nov 18, 2012 7:13 pm

Re: Early end to the season

Postby jfoster16 » Mon Dec 23, 2013 12:25 pm

ArkansasRobertson wrote:
ARduckcwby wrote:
Slash LaReux wrote:Don't give up so easily. Call up your school buddies, it's Christmas break. You gotta no one who can hook you up! Besides looking at your pic the two of you could find some public ground to walk in at.



This.

At least here in AR, we are blessed with a lot of public land opportunities. I hunt public land, and it's not too bad. Sure you might have to wake up earlier, walk a little farther, but it beats sitting at home.


^^^^^ same thing.

If you give up hunting for the season because you dont have private land to hunt, then maybe duck hunting isnt the right sport for you. There are people who will wait 4 days sleeping in a boat to hunt a semi decent public land spot. you gotta bleed the sport


It's not that we don't have private land to hunt anymore, we are doing what we can to find new places to hunt. It's just difficult starting from scratch this late. It's hard to get time to get out to new places when I only get to go home ever couple of weekends. I'm not trying to whine, like I said we are doing what we can right now.
jfoster16
hunter
 
Posts: 7
Joined: Mon Oct 29, 2012 6:18 pm

Re: Early end to the season

Postby jfoster16 » Mon Dec 23, 2013 12:29 pm

AR Dave wrote:I take it they're not fond of your brothernlaw?

I guess not, but they were just at my house for Thanksgiving with the entire family and we had multiple conversations with my brother inlaw involved and there was nothing to indicate they had an issue with him being down there. And they already knew he had been down there with us the last 3 years. It's just strange that if there was a problem they waited a month to say anything about it.
jfoster16
hunter
 
Posts: 7
Joined: Mon Oct 29, 2012 6:18 pm

Re: Early end to the season

Postby rism » Fri Dec 27, 2013 10:12 am

Sounds to me like something else is going on besides your brother in-law and it would probably be in your best interest to find out EXACTLY what ??? We lost a place one time as another party offered more money and the owner was so ashamed he took it he didn't want to tell us. Just said he didn't want anyone hunting there anymore. Don't know how he figured we wouldn't find out. We offered more the next year and got it back. Never renewed it after that though. Didn't like the circumstances we went through. Finally bought our own 50 acres in Il. River backwater. Good years, bad years but we always have a back up place to go to.
rism
hunter
 
Posts: 149
Joined: Wed Mar 16, 2011 9:04 am

Re: Early end to the season

Postby AR Dave » Fri Dec 27, 2013 10:38 am

Trail Camera's are quiet and honest!
User avatar
AR Dave
hunter
 
Posts: 651
Joined: Sun Nov 18, 2012 7:13 pm


Return to Arkansas Duck Hunting

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 4 guests

cron