Chesapeake or German short hair

This forum is where New Mexico duck hunting is discussed. Read others posts and share your thoughts here.

Moderators: quackadikt, randy marci, ghostingrey

Chesapeake or German short hair

Postby Back for more » Fri Dec 20, 2013 9:30 am

I have seen pictures posted with these breeds. Which do you like better ?

I currently run labs but am looking to pick up one,of these breeds asap.

Know of anyone with pups ?
Big Al's " Take Em " Silhouette Decoys Pro Staff

Lord forgive me , for sometimes I shoot hens
Back for more
hunter

Re: Chesapeake or German short hair

Postby jayclarkie » Fri Dec 20, 2013 9:54 am

All depends on what you plan on doing with said dog...if you're looking for a pooch to jump in the icy river and be a tenacious retriever, then a shorthair wouldn't be a very logical choice. Conversely, if your looking for a pointer that can hunt in the warmer months...a chesie wouldn't make a whole lot of sense either. All depends on the application. I've known both breeds, and hunted with both in different arenas, and they both have their pros and cons. But who am I to say? I was raised on labs, so my personal opinion is somewhat biased.
Sorry folks, park's closed...
jayclarkie
hunter

Postby quackadikt » Fri Dec 20, 2013 10:11 am

Yea, that's comparing oranges to apples. Two completely different dogs built for two completely different jobs.

I can tell you, a Shorthair CAN leave a lot to be desired in a duck dog. If you want a pointer to pick up birds, I'd strongly suggest you look at a Pudelpointer, GWP, or DD. Maybe a Griffon.
"A man may not care for golf and still be human, but the man who does not like to see, hunt, photograph or otherwise outwit birds or animals is hardly normal. He is supercivilized, and I for one do not know how to deal with him." Aldo Leopold
quackadikt
State Moderator

Location: The Irrirgation Canal formerly known as the Rio Grande

Postby Back for more » Fri Dec 20, 2013 10:35 am

As far as cold weather a Chesapeake would be good

Back for more
hunter

Postby quackadikt » Fri Dec 20, 2013 10:53 am

Word to the wise...if you want a Chessie DO NOT, I repeat, DO NOT go with a backyard breeder. They are a breed that can have lots of issues if the breeding is done by someone who doesn't know/care what they are doing. I advise you to talk with some reputable breeders about the breed if you're really interested in them. They aren't just a lab with a different coat.
"A man may not care for golf and still be human, but the man who does not like to see, hunt, photograph or otherwise outwit birds or animals is hardly normal. He is supercivilized, and I for one do not know how to deal with him." Aldo Leopold
quackadikt
State Moderator

Postby jayclarkie » Fri Dec 20, 2013 11:05 am

hey qa...what's a DD?
jayclarkie
hunter

Postby quackadikt » Fri Dec 20, 2013 11:12 am

Deutsch Drathaar. Basically a GWP. But DD's have to be tested on their hunting abilities, coat, etc. before they are allowed to breed. Makes sure that there isn't any junk in the wood pile.

A Deutsch Kurzhaar would be the equivalent in the GSP world.

http://www.vdd-gna.org/
quackadikt
State Moderator

Postby jayclarkie » Fri Dec 20, 2013 11:19 am

ahhh...i've always been interested in vizsla's, but wonder how one would fare in the fast, cold ass river up here.
jayclarkie
hunter

Postby Back for more » Fri Dec 20, 2013 11:19 am

As far those breeds . Think there are breeders in NM ?

Back for more
hunter

Postby jayclarkie » Fri Dec 20, 2013 11:28 am

I can't speak to those breeds mentioned, but my gut says doubt it. i can say this...my lab retrieves like a machine and points as good as any shorthair i've ever hunted with, maybe not as pretty, but if there's a bird there, she'll find it...and paladin labs over by taos is keeping the bloodline alive...not sure what their litter status is though.
jayclarkie
hunter

Postby quackadikt » Fri Dec 20, 2013 11:30 am

http://www.outlandergsp.com/DeutchDuallyWirehairs.html

Some good chessie breeers in Colorado, KS, OK. None in NM that I have found.

Jay, I wouldn't put much faith in a Vizla as a duck dog. I know people that have tried and it doesn't normally work out real we..,
quackadikt
State Moderator

Postby Nasty Boy » Tue Dec 24, 2013 6:10 pm

Good luck Back for more.
Last edited by Nasty Boy on Tue Dec 24, 2013 10:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Nasty Boy
hunter

Postby quackadikt » Tue Dec 24, 2013 8:00 pm

NB seems to have had the poster dog for a bad breeding, and no offense meant. Responsible breeders make sure your pup wont be susceptible to hip dysplasia and chances are, the dog won't be aggressive either. Of course, that part is as much on the owner as anything. You don't socialize your pup like you should, you'll have an aggressive dog. Some folks think they're stubborn because they aren't push button like a lab. You just have to train them a little different. You HAVE to do your homework when selecting a breeder.
quackadikt
State Moderator

Postby STICKLER » Tue Dec 24, 2013 8:17 pm

Also, you must be careful not to accidentally shoot a dog. I've heard several horror stories about dogs making retrieves on crippled birds and taking a pellet or 2 by mistake. Owners must hold responsibility for early retirement of their dogs and try to give them the fullest. My dog "Toro" was killed due to him getting the runs and my wife let him out of the garage without me knowing. He was hit by a vehicle and came back to his dog house to die. It crushed me!
Carpe Diem
STICKLER
hunter

Postby Nasty Boy » Tue Dec 24, 2013 8:21 pm

Have you ever owned one. Since your good with computer. Have you googled that type of breed. Because everything that comes out of you is BS. Ask many Chessie handlers. My chessie was a work horse to get them birds. Something your not to familiar with besides hacking peoples pics and finding info about everyone butty boy. Grab another twinkie and sit back some more. Because you aint harvesting any birds besides blowing up hen widgeons heads.
Nasty Boy
hunter

Postby Nasty Boy » Tue Dec 24, 2013 9:06 pm

STICKLER wrote:Also, you must be careful not to accidentally shoot a dog. I've heard several horror stories about dogs making retrieves on crippled birds and taking a pellet or 2 by mistake. Owners must hold responsibility for early retirement of their dogs and try to give them the fullest. My dog "Toro" was killed due to him getting the runs and my wife let him out of the garage without me knowing. He was hit by a vehicle and came back to his dog house to die. It crushed me!

Or possibly getting shot by your own friend and have pellets stuck in your lip.
Nasty Boy
hunter

Postby STICKLER » Tue Dec 24, 2013 9:42 pm

Anthony, if you want to hunt with me so bad, then say so. I'm not in it for the money, but I can make Mallards juke in to my spread as good as any. :thumbsup:
Carpe Diem
STICKLER
hunter

Postby quackadikt » Tue Dec 24, 2013 9:49 pm

I grew up hunting with one. I've been around many more. I've talked with lots of breeders to narrow down where I'm going to put my name when the time comes for a new pup.

HD and aggression are both issues that arise from bad breedings. Protectiveness is one thing, aggression is completely different. Chessies are not "short lived" breeds unless they have health issues.

If you honestly believe that a dog with hip dysplasia and aggression isn't a breeders issue, and that aggression wasn't partly your fault for not socializing the dog like it needed to be, then you're one of those people that shouldn't be allowed to own a dog.

BFM, you know how I feel about public land guiding, but I feel like you would be ok after a beer or two. Please don't listen to this hole-stealing, pot-licking, penis-wrinkle of a dumbass when it comes to dogs. If you want some names of good, reputable Chessie breeders, PM me.
quackadikt
State Moderator

Postby Nasty Boy » Tue Dec 24, 2013 10:05 pm

Quack a dic
My question is for you. Should i have to be worried about you since you did hack my pics and claim you found where i hunt. You say i don't know you. And i dont know you. How does one know where one supposedly hunts and randomly start listing names or location. You pretty much gave yourself away. and still responded with another give away. I do have a family and children. Are my kids in jeopardy of their lives. Stalkers like you are scary. There are young adult or children are on this form all the time. Should be aware of hackers like you find out where we all live or steal information. Is that why you moved to our state. Running from another. Since we are a forgiving state to criminals that try to start over.
Nasty Boy
hunter

Postby jayclarkie » Tue Dec 24, 2013 10:08 pm

NB, is it time for a prescription refill?
jayclarkie
hunter

Postby Nasty Boy » Tue Dec 24, 2013 10:09 pm

STICKLER wrote:Anthony, if you want to hunt with me so bad, then say so. I'm not in it for the money, but I can make Mallards juke in to my spread as good as any. :thumbsup:

I would never ever hunt with you. The money i make off you would go to our Game and Fish funds since your an out of state hunter and cant find anything where your at obviously.
Nasty Boy
hunter

Postby quackadikt » Tue Dec 24, 2013 10:11 pm

I really don't know where the hell you are coming up with any of this hacking and stalking stuff. Feel free to PM me if you'd like to. Just be sure to used grammatically correct sentences. I don't decipher moron very well.
quackadikt
State Moderator

Postby Nasty Boy » Tue Dec 24, 2013 10:15 pm

jayclarkie wrote:NB, is it time for a prescription refill?

This is coming from a guy that puts down kids and is supposed to be an adult with class. And help the young generation improve their skills. But rather be little them and keep them away from this website. They should have fun with pics and be proud of what they harvested.
Nasty Boy
hunter

Postby Nasty Boy » Tue Dec 24, 2013 10:18 pm

quackadikt wrote:I really don't know where the hell you are coming up with any of this hacking and stalking stuff. Feel free to PM me if you'd like to. Just be sure to used grammatically correct sentences. I don't decipher moron very well.

Keep lieing. Like they say. Its your story. You tell how you want. When i know i have the facts. You can drop all the name calling you want. Doesnt bother me. I know punks like you.
Nasty Boy
hunter

Postby quackadikt » Tue Dec 24, 2013 10:20 pm

:lol3: I really think you might have some kind of mental issues. I hope you get them under control soon.
quackadikt
State Moderator

Next

Return to New Mexico Duck Hunting