New to Maine

A place to discuss Maine hunting. Topics include Maine's reknowned sea duck hunting.

Moderators: DUKHTR, Dogman

New to Maine

Postby cwbuff128 » Fri Dec 20, 2013 1:59 pm

Hello everyone,

I'm new to the state of Maine (from Illinois) and I've been researching the waterfowl hunting in this state and noticed that it's much different then back in IL. If my understanding is correct, a lot of the hunting here is done on public land? I'm totally foreign to coastal duck hunting and would much rather stay with inland waterfowl. Are their blinds set up on these public spots and its first come first serve? I live up in Bangor. What would some spots be for this area? Any tips and advice would be appreciated.

Thanks.
cwbuff128
Newb

Re: New to Maine

Postby native brookie » Fri Dec 20, 2013 2:34 pm

Very little of our hunting is on public land, although there are some good spots (Merrymeeting Bay, Brownfield Bog, Scarborough Marsh, to name a few) that have a lot of public land.

However, state law gives you the right to access any "great pond" (basically anything over 1o acres) or the intertidal zone to "fish or fowl". (It's more complicated than that, but basically if you are in a boat or below the high tide line, you can hunt just about anywhere so long as its 100 yards from the nearest building.

There is also an awful lot of private land that is not posted. Needless to say, it pays to get to know the landowner of spots you plan to hunt. I've only ever been turned down once when I asked permission.

As for the blinds--there are some, and legally they are first come/first serve if on public land, and belong to the owner if on private. I generally don't hunt out of someone else's blind, although I have on occasion on public land. Maine has a lot of trees and brush, and it's generally more productive to find a natural "blind" anyway.
native brookie
hunter

Postby 733SubDucker » Fri Dec 20, 2013 4:26 pm

My in-laws are from IL and I typically hunt there each winter.

You will be surprised to learn that Maine is mostly private yet we have a fantastic tradition of land owner access. Most hunting is done on a handshake. No leases. No draws. Much less pressure and less hunters, save a few popular public areas.

Good luck.
733SubDucker
hunter

Postby 733SubDucker » Fri Dec 20, 2013 4:31 pm

I will add that we do have less overall duck numbers but you will find them typically more willing to work, especially without 20 other parties blowing high balls at them.

Lots of rivers streams lakes and bogs to explore.
733SubDucker
hunter

Postby JCraig12 » Fri Dec 20, 2013 6:06 pm

I just moved to the Bangor are from the coast. There's some good spots around here, you just have to find them. PM me if you want to talk not necessarily specific spots, but certain things I look for when scouting the area that worked for me this season.
JCraig12
hunter

Postby MaineHunter » Mon Dec 23, 2013 7:22 pm

I hope your not much of a deer hunter LOL!!

Welcome to Maine! Native_brookie did a great job summing it up
MaineHunter
hunter

Postby BMowatt » Thu Dec 26, 2013 5:22 pm

Check the river between Bangor and Brewer. That use to be a good place. Go up river and check it out.
It has been a lot of years since I hunted it so things may have changed.
BMowatt
hunter

Return to Maine Duck Hunting