Federal Duck stamp increase

A place to gain knowledge about Oregon duck hunting. Share your strategies here. From hunting on the Columbia river delta and Pacific Ocean to the open plains of eastern OR.

Moderators: Tealer, njonesy_07, Oregon Honker

Federal Duck stamp increase

Postby whtelk » Sat Dec 21, 2013 7:41 am

I copied and pasted this from another source. What do you think? I can pay a few more dollars IF this goes to the right cause.
$25 duck stamp
CONSERVATION — A bill was introduced in the U.S. Senate today to increase the price of the federal duck stamp to $25. The current price of $15 was set more than 20 years ago, in 1991.

“We appreciate the introduction of a federal duck stamp increase bill by Senators Begich, Baucus, Coons and Tester to meet very real on-the-ground wetland habitat conservation needs,” said Ducks Unlimited CEO Dale Hall in a statement supporting the action. “We are committed to seeing this legislation signed into law and look forward to working with Senators on both sides of the aisle to enact this.”

Since its enactment in 1934, the federal duck stamp program has protected more than 6 million acres of wetlands – an area the size of Vermont – through expenditures of more than $750 million. This has contributed to the conservation of more than 2.5 million acres in the Prairie Pothole Region, including the protection of 7,000 waterfowl production areas totaling 675,000 acres.

Land values have drastically increased since the last price increase in the 1990s. In Minnesota, for example, land has increased from an average price of $400 to $1,400 an acre since 1998, an increase of 250 percent. While the duck stamp price remains stagnant, the cost to conserve land and habitats that host waterfowl and other species has increased dramatically.

At its current price, the buying power of the federal duck stamp has never been lower over its 79-year history, DU says.

The Congressional Budget Office found that because the federal duck stamp is a user fee, such a price increase would have no net impact on federal spending.

“Once again, sportsmen and women have demonstrated their willingness to pay for conservation by supporting a long-overdue increase from $15 to $25. With 98 cents of every $1 from duck stamp receipts going to conserve wetlands habitat, it is vital that the cost of the stamp keep up with inflation and land acquisition costs,” Hall said.

Re: Federal Duck stamp increase

Postby Tealer » Sat Dec 21, 2013 1:56 pm

I'm totally ok with it.
Widmer Bros Prostaff
Former Hostess Prostaff
WizzBang Prostaff
Tealer
village idiot

Postby baltz526 » Sat Dec 21, 2013 4:23 pm

This has been lobbied for a long time. Hopefully it gets done this time.
OHA life member Lapine oregon
baltz526
hunter

Postby duckstoppa » Sat Dec 21, 2013 6:30 pm

No way 98% goes to the cause. Everyone is dreaming if they think the federal goverment can be that efficient. I do not want to give any more money to the Feds until they show some responsibility.
WAR VALLEY WATERFOWLERS
duckstoppa
hunter

Postby duckstoppa » Sat Dec 21, 2013 6:36 pm

If the store makes 15 cents a stamp that would be 1%
WAR VALLEY WATERFOWLERS
duckstoppa
hunter

Postby Tealer » Sat Dec 21, 2013 8:16 pm

Stores make nothing. The duck stamp program is one of the few programs that I believe in. They seem to do ok.
Widmer Bros Prostaff
Former Hostess Prostaff
WizzBang Prostaff
Tealer
village idiot

Postby baltz526 » Sun Dec 22, 2013 11:53 am

duckstoppa wrote:No way 98% goes to the cause. Everyone is dreaming if they think the federal goverment can be that efficient. I do not want to give any more money to the Feds until they show some responsibility.
This is just a sign, in this case. Your wrong with your opine
baltz526
hunter

Postby duckstoppa » Sun Dec 22, 2013 8:57 pm

Wrong in Feds can't spend money wisely? 98% seems pretty impossible.
WAR VALLEY WATERFOWLERS
duckstoppa
hunter

Postby baltz526 » Wed Dec 25, 2013 5:54 pm

Federal inefficiency is exactly why we duck hunters need to pay more for the federal duck stamp. Fed has printed so much money $15 needs to become $25 just to cover the worth less $
baltz526
hunter

Postby h2ofowlr » Mon Dec 30, 2013 10:14 am

I am fine with the increase. Everything else has jumped through the roof. As long as it goes towards the ducks. I know if our state did it, it would just go to the general fund and I would be against it. The state likes money from sportsman, but doesn't seem to like the fact that we harvest animals.
h2ofowlr
State Moderator

Return to Oregon Duck Hunting