Don't Forget the License!

A waterfowl discussion forum focusing on Kansas duck hunting.

Moderators: T Man, Mallyard, yellowlab, dukhntr, cluckmeister

Don't Forget the License!

Postby mudpack » Sun Dec 22, 2013 11:09 am

Your KANSAS resident hunting license expires on Dec 31, guys. Don't forget to get your new one before then.
That way, if it ever thaws before the end of January, you can go kill a few more ducks.

Also, if you are over 65, might as well get the Lifetime Combo Hunting/Fishing Pass. It costs only about $5 more than a yearly Hunting (only) license and is good UNTIL YOU DIE!! Now, THAT's a deal. :thumbsup:
mudpack
hunter

Re: Don't Forget the License!

Postby cluckmeister » Sun Dec 22, 2013 2:15 pm

mudpack wrote:Your KANSAS resident hunting license expires on Dec 31, guys. Don't forget to get your new one before then.
That way, if it ever thaws before the end of January, you can go kill a few more ducks.

Also, if you are over 65, might as well get the Lifetime Combo Hunting/Fishing Pass. It costs only about $5 more than a yearly Hunting (only) license and is good UNTIL YOU DIE!! Now, THAT's a deal. :thumbsup:

I think they screwed the guys turning 65 with the way they did things. Im 64 and wont be eligible for the lifetime until March, so what does that mean , it means if I want to finish the 2013.2014 seasons I have to buy a regular license. What a crock, WHY didn't they make the date Jan1 of the year a fellow turns 65. Oh I know more revenue for tourism department
If you're there for the limit, you're there for the wrong reason
cluckmeister
State Moderator

Postby dukhntr » Sun Dec 22, 2013 7:43 pm

I usually get a yearly hunt/fish combo from my inlaws. Pretty sweet gift! I'm greatful!
dukhntr
State Moderator

Postby dukhntr » Sun Dec 22, 2013 7:43 pm

I usually get a yearly hunt/fish combo from my inlaws. Pretty sweet gift! I'm greatful!
dukhntr
State Moderator

Postby mudpack » Mon Dec 23, 2013 7:54 am

cluckmeister wrote:..if I want to finish the 2013.2014 seasons I have to buy a regular license.

With the weather the way it is at this time, you could save those few dollars by NOT buying a regular license for the rest of this season..... :crying:

I faced the same situation two years ago, and had to wait until last year to be able to actually purchase the Lifetime License.
Everybody does; that's just the way the system works. You can't buy the Over 65 license until you actually ARE over 65.

Otherwise, they would have made it the Over 64 License......... :lol3:

Personally, I think they should make the Kansas Resident hunting licenses valid from June to June, so we don't have to remember to buy a new license in the middle of the season, when the chaos of the holidays is in full swing. Other states do this and it is very convenient.
mudpack
hunter

Postby cluckmeister » Mon Dec 23, 2013 8:53 am

mudpack wrote:
cluckmeister wrote:..if I want to finish the 2013.2014 seasons I have to buy a regular license.

With the weather the way it is at this time, you could save those few dollars by NOT buying a regular license for the rest of this season..... :crying:

I faced the same situation two years ago, and had to wait until last year to be able to actually purchase the Lifetime License.
Everybody does; that's just the way the system works. You can't buy the Over 65 license until you actually ARE over 65.

Otherwise, they would have made it the Over 64 License......... :lol3:

Personally, I think they should make the Kansas Resident hunting licenses valid from June to June, so we don't have to remember to buy a new license in the middle of the season, when the chaos of the holidays is in full swing. Other states do this and it is very convenient.

Mud, if I did that Id miss out on some of the great goose hunting we have and yes June to June would be a great way to go, it would allow a fellow to finish out the hunting season. They wont do that though it makes to much sense
cluckmeister
State Moderator

Postby champer196 » Mon Dec 23, 2013 9:20 am

Cluckmeister this is my favorite time to waterfowl hunt as well. We get rid of some of the fair weather guys, although not what we used to due to all the good clothing available these days!

I think being lazy and not wanting to do their own scouting gets rid of more hunters than actually having to be out there in the cold does these days.
champer196
hunter

Postby cluckmeister » Mon Dec 23, 2013 2:41 pm

Champer , Ive been on public hunting areas 3 days so far this year with the temps at 6 to 8 degrees and never saw another soul, Id say 90% of the fair weather guys are in bed on days like that.
cluckmeister
State Moderator

Postby champer196 » Mon Dec 23, 2013 8:06 pm

cluckmeister wrote:Champer , Ive been on public hunting areas 3 days so far this year with the temps at 6 to 8 degrees and never saw another soul, Id say 90% of the fair weather guys are in bed on days like that.

Probably true
champer196
hunter

Postby mudpack » Fri Dec 27, 2013 5:51 pm

cluckmeister wrote:Champer , Ive been on public hunting areas 3 days so far this year with the temps at 6 to 8 degrees and never saw another soul, Id say 90% of the fair weather guys are in bed on days like that.

The last three times I've been out on public areas, temps in the teens, I never saw another soul either.

I also saw a total of two ducks....way off in the distance.
:crying:

The 300,000 geese we had on local sandpits also disappeared three days ago................... :crying: :crying:
mudpack
hunter

Postby cluckmeister » Mon Dec 30, 2013 9:56 am

Mudpack I bet those geese are closer than you think. I haven't noticed an reduction in the population in the last 8 days, however I have noticed that the feed time for most of them starts at about 9:30
cluckmeister
State Moderator

Postby mudpack » Mon Dec 30, 2013 10:31 am

cluckmeister wrote:Mudpack I bet those geese are closer than you think. I haven't noticed an reduction in the population in the last 8 days, however I have noticed that the feed time for most of them starts at about 9:30

You may be right.
I did notice that before they disappeared, they would come out to feed about 9 or 9:30, too.

If they're close, they're hiding very well..... :thumbsup:
mudpack
hunter

Postby cluckmeister » Mon Dec 30, 2013 11:06 am

Id say they were on the river between Great Bend and Hutchinson. The manager at Quivira told me that's where they go when the Bottoms and Quivira freeze up and the day we were at Quivira the geese that did come off where headed that way. Also Ive see a bunch of them out around Sterling
cluckmeister
State Moderator

Postby mudpack » Tue Apr 01, 2014 4:59 pm

cluckmeister wrote:Id say they were on the river between Great Bend and Hutchinson. The manager at Quivira told me that's where they go when the Bottoms and Quivira freeze up

He lied to you, cluck.
When the Bottoms and Quivira freeze up(or close), I hunt the river between GB and Hutch. I hunt it A LOT. I see a ton of geese flying OVER the river 80 yards up, I see a lot of geese on sand pits adjacent to the river, and I see some on fields very close to the river, but I've never seen a goose ON the river. That includes flying up or down the channel. In the last five years, I and the guys I hunt the river with have shot a total of four geese on the river; all four from one flock that just flat flew over too low.
I've also walked a lot of miles hunting on the river, and only one time saw evidence of a goose ON the river: a pile of Canada goose feathers from a coyote meal. Could have been sitting on the bank, could have been a cripple that just couldn't go any further. I'm betting on the latter. :thumbsup:

That's been my experience, anyway. Maybe I just haven't been in the right spots at the right time.....
mudpack
hunter

Postby cluckmeister » Tue Apr 01, 2014 5:22 pm

Mud, I think the part of the river is East of the refuge, we chased a bunch going that way after freeze up and they went down in a area that didn't have any country roads getting to it, but looking on google earth its on the river some where around Raymond. We sat for 10 minuets and group after group went down. We could never figure out how to get there. Also last month I took a diabetes class and there was a guy the from St John that does guided hunts and he told me the same thing
cluckmeister
State Moderator

Return to Kansas Duck Hunting