Question for you AK residents

Discussion topics include Alaska sea duck hunting and other species.

Moderator: badandy970

Question for you AK residents

Postby phutch30 » Wed Jun 06, 2007 3:29 pm

Today as I was purchasing a AK hunting liscense online and then reading thru the alaskan hunting regs today to find out what I needed to do for my Kodiak island sea duck/sitka deer/fox hunt im doing this fall, I came across some pretty interesting regs.

Do any of you residents take advantage of the open season on snowy owls and cormarants?
phutch30
hunter

Postby AK Ray » Fri Jun 08, 2007 4:11 pm

The snowy owl thing just happened. This is geared towards subsistance type hunting, which is for rural residents only. Most of us folks on here live in "town" some where are aren't rural enough to "subsist" in the eyes of the Feds, even though the state says we are all equal when comes to collecting game for food.

Cormorant for food - just how far can I projectile vomit? I can barely handle a well taken care of golden eye.

I am sure that some villagers pop a few for some kind of treat. I have not seen a cormorant in Cook Inlet during the 17 years I have live in this area. Nor did I see any in the 6 years in Fairbanks, or the two years on Adak.
AK Ray
hunter

Postby akbrett » Wed Jun 13, 2007 1:08 am

I think Ray hit the nail on the head. The only other thing that that may have precipatated these regs is the use of the animal (bird) for clothing. I am willing to bet that several of the people in the villages have "Traditionally" used snowy owl and/or cormarant feathers for something. This would allow non-idigionous rural residents the ability to take these animals for said purposes.
akbrett
hunter

Return to Alaska Duck Hunting