Rookie waterfowl hunter

This forum is where New Mexico duck hunting is discussed. Read others posts and share your thoughts here.

Moderators: randy marci, ghostingrey, quackadikt

Rookie waterfowl hunter

Postby Bohdichaka » Sun Dec 22, 2013 11:27 pm

Hello all,

My name is Jeremy and I am a resident of las cruces, nm. I just recently registered on the forum and wanted to introduce myself. This is my first season hunting waterfowl and I must say I have enjoyed myself. My first hunt was at bitter lakes nm and then a couple more around las cruces. So anywho hope everyone is enjoying the holidays and the hunting is going good. :grooving:
Rookie waterfowler, been duck hunting three times but love every minute
Bohdichaka
hunter

Re: Rookie waterfowl hunter

Postby Bohdichaka » Sun Dec 22, 2013 11:53 pm

Just wanted to share a pic of my first duck hunt
Bohdichaka
hunter

Postby quackadikt » Mon Dec 23, 2013 2:37 pm

"A man may not care for golf and still be human, but the man who does not like to see, hunt, photograph or otherwise outwit birds or animals is hardly normal. He is supercivilized, and I for one do not know how to deal with him." Aldo Leopold
quackadikt
State Moderator

Location: The Irrirgation Canal formerly known as the Rio Grande

Postby frogskins01 » Mon Dec 23, 2013 2:47 pm

Looks pretty close haha just buy a mask so you don't have to spend the time putting on your makeup I'm not trying to be a jerk but face paint is a sore spot for me with all the duck dynasty people but I'm glad your having fun... It's addicting right? Just practice the right way to hunt
frogskins01
hunter

Postby quackadikt » Mon Dec 23, 2013 2:53 pm

Nothing wrong with face paint, I've worn it before, but going all rodeo-clown with it is funny. No way around it. And there's still a lot of shiny face showing even with the racing stripes. :biggrin:

Keep having fun man. That's what it's all about.
"A man may not care for golf and still be human, but the man who does not like to see, hunt, photograph or otherwise outwit birds or animals is hardly normal. He is supercivilized, and I for one do not know how to deal with him." Aldo Leopold
quackadikt
State Moderator

Postby jayclarkie » Mon Dec 23, 2013 3:09 pm

here's how i roll...fools em every time.
Attachments
duckface.jpg
duckface.jpg (14.07 KiB) Viewed 828 times
Sorry folks, park's closed...
jayclarkie
hunter

Rookie waterfowl hunter

Postby jayclarkie » Mon Dec 23, 2013 3:12 pm

and i ain't afraid to rub a little burnt cork on my face if i'm getting some sun glare. comes off easy breezy, and doesn't clog my delicate pores :grooving:
Last edited by jayclarkie on Mon Dec 23, 2013 4:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
jayclarkie
hunter

Postby quackadikt » Mon Dec 23, 2013 3:33 pm

I didn't know that cork was pore friendly. Thanks for the pro-tip. I'll throw one in my bag when I get home tonight.
quackadikt
State Moderator

Postby Blackfoot Inc » Mon Dec 23, 2013 4:55 pm

Jeremy, roll with your look brotha :clapping: maybe add some white to match all that snow :yes:
Blackfoot Inc
hunter

Postby STICKLER » Mon Dec 23, 2013 8:27 pm

quackadikt wrote:Image
:lol3: :lol3: :lol3: :clapping:
STICKLER
hunter

Postby Chilefix » Mon Dec 23, 2013 9:55 pm

:welcome: Jeremy Looks like you had a great hunt! Way to go.
Chilefix
Newb

Postby Nasty Boy » Tue Dec 24, 2013 4:47 am

jayclarkie wrote:here's how i roll...fools em every time.

Not sure about fooling anyone................. I flared and made it out like a duck by seeing the glare of your forehead :tongue:
Unsure if comb overs count as camo

And Jeremy. Expect some sort of abuse. Its a shame we have to have thick skin coming to this site. Keep that face from shining. Nothing wrong with hiding a glaring face from them ducks. Keep at them.......Practice, Practice, Practice.
Last edited by Nasty Boy on Wed Dec 25, 2013 10:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Nasty Boy
hunter

Postby quackadikt » Tue Dec 24, 2013 7:04 am

Nasty Boy wrote:Expect some sort of abuse. Its a shame we have to have thick skin coming to this site.

No it's not...there's a bunch of hunters hanging out in one "spot". Everybody is going to get ribbed a little bit. Doesn't matter if it's on the internet or standing around a campfire. If you can't joke around with folks or handle someone laughing at you every now and then, maybe you should take up chess. I hear most chess clubs don't tolerate any kind of shenanigans.

Besides, this is just the internet...don't take it so seriously.
quackadikt
State Moderator

Postby jayclarkie » Tue Dec 24, 2013 9:46 am

i think we got a healthy mix of both...some old-fashioned, good-natured ribbing, and plenty of those willing to call bullshit when the need arises. not to say that often times the 'locals only' vibe doesn't permeate the board, it certainly does. and sometimes there's a definite jock mentality to the whole thing, but i think, by and large we usually find common ground; and those that can't take or don't like it usually just fade away. besides, i think a little hazing now again is a good thing, it separates the meat from the chum, as they say.
jayclarkie
hunter

Postby Bohdichaka » Tue Dec 24, 2013 2:19 pm

Fisrt let me say yes, face paint was a bit much, however my bud and I had a blast. I appreciate the razzing (I got thick skin) just don't be mad when it comes back your way hahaha. Also it was between the commando look or braveheart. I doubt I will stop the face paint either...somehow it just gets me in the duck hunting mood.
Bohdichaka
hunter

Postby Rhock19 » Tue Dec 24, 2013 2:36 pm

The best piece of advice I have for you is buy some Zquil. Last weekend was the closer of goose here and I still only slept 2 hours!! This sport is addicting and I get way too antsy the night before a hunt haha. Glad you had a good time though, duck hunting is great for being with friends and family. Ducks in hand are just a bonus. Theres a ton of good guys on this site, just stay away from Mud motor talk as some people are ruthless over there!
Rhock19
hunter

Postby Bohdichaka » Tue Dec 24, 2013 3:05 pm

Good to see a health community here, and whenever I go on my beer drink trips it's always an extra to harvest whatever I'm hunting :thumbsup:
Bohdichaka
hunter

Postby Nasty Boy » Wed Dec 25, 2013 10:50 pm

Rhock19 wrote:The best piece of advice I have for you is buy some Zquil. Last weekend was the closer of goose here and I still only slept 2 hours!! This sport is addicting and I get way too antsy the night before a hunt haha. Glad you had a good time though, duck hunting is great for being with friends and family. Ducks in hand are just a bonus. Theres a ton of good guys on this site, just stay away from Mud motor talk as some people are ruthless over there!

Good advice. The Zquil worked.
I am gonna get a job and be a vendor now and start selling Twinkies on this site. Yelling out. Twinkies. I got your Twinkies. I got Twinkies for sell. Anyone want Twinkies.
Nasty Boy
hunter

Return to New Mexico Duck Hunting