Late Season Ducks

This Midwestern state holds many waterfowl species. Post here and read others views on Wisconsin duck hunting. From the mighty Mississippi river to the west to the great lake of Michigan on the east, WI has many different types of hunting available to hunters.

Moderators: NickCies80, Pete-pec

Late Season Ducks

Postby uglymug » Mon Dec 23, 2013 10:58 pm

Hi Wisconsinites!

I stumbled across this site while trying to do some duck research. I'm just starting to get into Duck Hunting. I live in Columbus, WI on the Crawfish river. Which is surprisingly good for early season woodies, but they leave by early November or have wised up and only stay in city limit water. I'm not asking for any honey holes, but are there some good lakes/rivers to hunt on for late season ducks around my area? I know Beaver Dam lake is decent, but I lack a boat larger than a canoe, which limits my options obviously. Any suggestions as to some good general locations? I'm gonna try to get some decent scouting in next year.

Thanks,

P.S.
(Once again, I'm not asking for the honey hole that you spread your grandpa's ashes in, just some generally good area's to check out)
uglymug
hunter

Re: Late Season Ducks

Postby wackem' n stackem' » Tue Dec 24, 2013 9:09 am

I dont live in your area but late season i transfer from the water to the fields checkout the farmland in your area and try and get in some fields to hunt late season. Ive had some of my best duck hunts in corn fields late season.
wackem' n stackem'
hunter

Postby uglymug » Tue Dec 24, 2013 11:53 pm

Hmm. I'll have to ask around.
I know plenty of fields where there's a steady supply of geese. Don't really see too many with ducks on them. Hoping to find a boat big enough to hunt the 'big' river next year for some cans. That would really open up more options for me.

Thanks for the advice,
uglymug
hunter

Postby Robert plus » Sun Dec 29, 2013 9:04 am

I live in fox lake , have a big enough boat for 3 always willing to meet and hunt with new people .
Robert plus
hunter

Postby Simmons_WI » Mon Dec 30, 2013 7:15 am

Don't know that area but welcome to the site.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Simmons_WI
hunter

Postby pootz79 » Thu Mar 27, 2014 12:31 pm

Haven't been on here in a while and just saw your post but I also live in Columbus. Been here a few years and have found a few spots. I have done ok on the Crawfish as well. Usually get a few woodies, a mix bag of other small ducks and occasional a goose or two. There are alot of small public swamps around that has decent foot access or small boat access as well. I never get a limit but 2-3 ducks an outing is fine by me. I have a few boats as well ranging in size, condition and usefulness for hunting, haha. Come fall maybe we can get together for a hunt or two. I played alot of rugby this last fall so there wasn't as much hunting as in past years. I do have 3 year old yellow lab that can hold his own. He's no hunt champion but a good "meat dog".
Pat M
"Pick a pup like you would pick your next best friend because that's what he will become." --Pete McMiller
pootz79
hunter

Postby War Wagon » Sat Mar 29, 2014 5:38 am

Late Season Ducks....???? are you kidding... :lol3: :lol3: :lol3: ...our season closes way to early to see the Northern Flight of "Birds"

Duck season should start the FIRST Saturday in OCTOBER.. :yes:
War Wagon
hunter

Return to Wisconsin Duck Hunting