MOJOs

Duck hunting in Missouri topics of discussion are found here. Also MO is becoming one of the top Snow goose hunting destinations.

Moderators: birddog crazy, SPatrick, 870shooter

MOJOs

Postby JohnTheSlayer » Thu Dec 26, 2013 7:28 pm

Okay guys, late season is upon us now and i was simply wantin to know if you guys are huntin over mojo's or not? And if so how many? I currently have 3. I am mostly huntin Otter Slough if that matters. :beer:
JohnTheSlayer
hunter

Re: MOJOs

Postby sehunter1 » Thu Dec 26, 2013 7:50 pm

Great hunt today without a mojo!
sehunter1
hunter

Postby JohnTheSlayer » Thu Dec 26, 2013 7:55 pm

i'm really not wantin to take any tomorrow but don't wanna regret it durin the hunt!
JohnTheSlayer
hunter

Postby sehunter1 » Thu Dec 26, 2013 8:01 pm

I pretty much stop using mine around the first of december. However, I still keep it with me on all hunts. There is no set rule on when to use it and when to put it away. Let the birds dictate how and what you use in your spread. If your hidden very well, have a realistic decoy spread, and are in an area where birds want to work but they seem to flare after a lower pass while traveling toward a mojo I would put it up. If they are landing on top of it while it spins, I would not put it up.
sehunter1
hunter

Postby MODAKR » Fri Dec 27, 2013 9:02 am

i've always struggled with the decision to use spinners over water or not cause i've rarely seen them REALLY suck ducks in over water; totally different for field hunts, they are required equipment, IMO. so this year I tried duck parks with no spinner. i also did it to do something different because i think nearly EVERY other duck park hunter uses them. i seriously think the duck park ducks start to avoid them because they see them day in and day out for 60 days straight. my approach is instead take my 'varsity' squad of 1 doz high dollar decoys (dakota's) and go simple. I use a jerk string if no wind. the other reason is i'm getting too old to haul so much crap out there. i'd rather go light and walk as far as i need to and be mobile during the hunt if i need to be. another thing i've tried is to use a couple mallard flappers (sillosock brand). they look diff than spinners and are super light, but you need to have a good wind to make them work right. mixed reviews on those as well. some ducks did come at them though.

if nothing else, the mojo stake works well to shove ice chunks around!
MODAKR
hunter

Postby rntmvp6 » Wed Jan 01, 2014 9:39 pm

MODAKR: Dakotas are nice, I have 4 dozen of them but if you are thinking about carrying them you may want to try them before you buy them. I have two dozen in each rig em right xl bag and they leave bruises all across my shoulders when I have to carry them short distances. They are by far the heaviest decoy I have ever used by far. I have no desire to hunt anywhere I cant get a boat into now. As for mojos I hunt with them every hunt all season long. Hunted yesterday in middle zone, finished a flock of 50 mallards in the decoys and every other duck I shot after that finished in the decoys on the 1st pass. Some days they work better than others so who knows.
rntmvp6
hunter

Postby 2500hdon37s » Thu Jan 02, 2014 3:16 am

I dont own a mojo... I dont need to. I also hunt the duck parks.

I've hunted over a few and sure I've killed some, but all of my best hunts have been without.

never field hunted just for ducks, but I went for geese today and we had tons of geese land in the decoys with no spinner.
NRA and DU member, are you? if not you should be!

rabbitdundied wrote: I use my mojos in places I don't want birds to land.
2500hdon37s
Forum Moderator

Postby BigAL64 » Thu Jan 02, 2014 10:29 am

2500hdon37s wrote:I dont own a mojo... I dont need to. I also hunt the duck parks.

I've hunted over a few and sure I've killed some, but all of my best hunts have been without.

never field hunted just for ducks, but I went for geese today and we had tons of geese land in the decoys with no spinner.

Geese usually don't like spinners.
BigAL64
hunter

Postby MODAKR » Thu Jan 02, 2014 11:16 am

rntmvp6 wrote:MODAKR: Dakotas are nice, I have 4 dozen of them but if you are thinking about carrying them you may want to try them before you buy them. I have two dozen in each rig em right xl bag and they leave bruises all across my shoulders when I have to carry them short distances. They are by far the heaviest decoy I have ever used by far. I have no desire to hunt anywhere I cant get a boat into now. As for mojos I hunt with them every hunt all season long. Hunted yesterday in middle zone, finished a flock of 50 mallards in the decoys and every other duck I shot after that finished in the decoys on the 1st pass. Some days they work better than others so who knows.

I agree they are very heavy... i may pick, up another doz sometime, but carrying/hauling one doz into the duck parks is enough for an old guy like me. i use a beavertail sled whenever possible to transport gear. and if i can't kill'em with one doz, i don't think i will kill'em with 2 or 3 doz anyways, that's just been my experience. in my opinion, they are best looking decoys available, especially late season when mallards have excellent color; i think the flocked heads look great. and i agree with 2500 on spinners, i cannot say that they have given me any advantage so i will probably always leave that extra 5 lbs in the truck or at home when at a duck park.
MODAKR
hunter

Postby 2500hdon37s » Thu Jan 02, 2014 1:36 pm

BigAL64 wrote:
2500hdon37s wrote:I dont own a mojo... I dont need to. I also hunt the duck parks.

Geese usually don't like spinners.

I would agree.
NRA and DU member, are you? if not you should be!

rabbitdundied wrote: I use my mojos in places I don't want birds to land.
2500hdon37s
Forum Moderator

Postby 2Longgone » Thu Jan 02, 2014 3:55 pm

I like to hunt a spin free zone. I hunted with and without this year, only because the guys I hunted with have them.
I agree the dakotas are the best looking decoy on the market, two dozen dakotas look as good as 4 dozen of the others.
And yes they are heavy.
2Longgone
hunter

Return to Missouri Duck Hunting