how do u cook goose???

What's cooking?! A forum to share your favorite duck recipes, goose recipes, wild game recipes, and smoking; along with how to prepare game before hand.

Moderators: Indaswamp, brassass, daffy...

how do u cook goose???

Postby IHuntDucksAndGoose » Fri Jun 22, 2007 9:47 pm

how do u cook ur goose? I dont know how :sad:
IHuntDucksAndGoose
hunter

Postby IHuntDucksAndGoose » Fri Jun 22, 2007 9:48 pm

does any1 now how?
IHuntDucksAndGoose
hunter

Postby David » Mon Jun 25, 2007 9:55 am

I've only shot one goose. It was a snow goose and I cooked it on a smoker and liked it. Here is a link to DU's and Delta's recipe pages. They have several goose recipes on them.

DU Recipes
Delta's recipes
David
Lefty

Postby harvey1b » Mon Jun 25, 2007 10:10 am

Goose is the best out there.

I usually breast out the goose, but you can pluck them too if you want.

Start by puttin the meat in beer overnight. This brings out some of the strong flavor. Changing the beer a few times helps mellow out the strong taste. Next you can slice it into thin sections, hit it with a tenderizing hammer a few times, sprinkle with a dry rub, wrap it around a chunk of onion and pepper, and finally wrap the whole thing with a strip of bacon. Run 2 kebab skewers through it so they form a "t" or cross, and throw it on the grill.

Another way is to throw the meat in the crock with some pork and make pulled goose.

With a whole bird you can inject it and deep fry it. All are very good. :thumbsup: :drool:
harvey1b
hunter

Postby jimbop2 » Thu Jun 28, 2007 6:14 am

I've only gotten a few geese since I've started but this is what I did.
I breasted them and took the legs off.
I usually marinate the breasts in a light soy type marinade (tons of variations on internet) and grill them.

For the legs, this is great...

I cook them confit style (slow at 200 degrees) in olive oil, various herbs, garlic for 12 hours, meat falls right off. You can eat it like that, but I made egg/spring rolls with the meat. Great way to use the legs. There is more meat on the legs than what people realize and easy to eat if you prepare it properly. Taste great too!
jimbop2
hunter

Postby Female Goose Hunter » Mon Jul 16, 2007 9:50 am

I live off of goose and duck both in the winter. But the only thing to eat on a goose really is there breast. Little meat on the legs but not much but i breast em out and butterfly the breast, then i cook em like i would a steak. if ya cook it right the average joe cant tell the difference between goose and cow. Just remember tho. cook the goose all the way through.

Remember if ya cant tell what it is before ya shoot, dont pull the trigger :thumbsup:
Female Goose Hunter
hunter

Postby Daisycuttin » Fri Aug 10, 2007 5:41 pm

If you are cooking goose all the way through and you cant tell the difference from beef, the nyou need your tongue removed or lay off the dope. The way to cook geese as with all waterfowl is medium rare, the longer you cook it the tighter the meat gets and the stronger the wild taste, no matter how its marinated. Don't overcook it and you can just season with salt and pepper and it tastes great.
If ya don't like being peppered, don't set up near my spread..!!!!!

07-08 Season Totals
Mallards-0
Spoonies-0
Gadwall-0
Teal-22
Bufflehead 0
Specks-
Geese-7
Bands-00
Daisycuttin
hunter

Postby Female Goose Hunter » Fri Aug 10, 2007 7:24 pm

Daisycuttin wrote:If you are cooking goose all the way through and you cant tell the difference from beef, the nyou need your tongue removed or lay off the dope.

everyone has their opinions on how to cook waterfowl and a few of us might resent being told to "Lay off the dope"

Remember if u cant tell what it is b4 ya shoot dont pull the trigger :thumbsup:
Female Goose Hunter
hunter

Postby oldman47 » Sun Aug 12, 2007 9:25 am

There are alot of ways to cook goose ,you can pluck them if its late enough in the season otherwise I just breast them out. The breast makes great jerky, or you can cube the breast .marinate and put on the grill. Goose is excellant good luck. oldman47
oldman47
Newb

Postby Daisycuttin » Tue Aug 14, 2007 4:50 pm

:huh: :huh: If you thought it tasted like beef?

07-08 Season Totals
Mallards-0
Spoonies-0
Gadwall-0
Teal-22
Bufflehead 0
Specks-
Geese-7
Bands-00
Daisycuttin
hunter

Postby phutch30 » Wed Aug 15, 2007 12:53 pm

If they are young birds and are not too shot up, I pluck and gut them then roast them to medium rare. I have to say it tastes a little like beef. The older shot up birds I bone out and we make goose and broccoli (same as beef and brtoccoli) stir fry.
phutch30
hunter

Postby Daisycuttin » Wed Aug 15, 2007 3:06 pm

Never thought of stir-frying em. Great idea.

07-08 Season Totals
Mallards-0
Spoonies-0
Gadwall-0
Teal-22
Bufflehead 0
Specks-
Geese-7
Bands-00
Daisycuttin
hunter

Postby Montanafowler » Wed Aug 15, 2007 4:01 pm

how do you do the bacon wrapped goose?
Booney3721 wrote:Try being a dishwasher/Grill cook/ellectrition/garbage disposer and your owner/boss is a fat greek woman who cals you names as Retard, stupid, idiot, molocah, f*** face and tard, and tells you that you was the inspiration for abortion and birth control.
Montanafowler
Forum Moderator

Postby Deeks » Thu Aug 16, 2007 7:19 am

I like to prepare my goose in a sort of Jambalaya...

1) Take your goose breast cut into 1 inch strips and put it in a large pan
2) Cover with chicken broth or stock (canned works fine).
3) Cook covered over low/medium heat for about an hour
a- (Add chopped celery and onion for the last 1/2 hour).
4) Add the following:
a- Two cups of rice (I use yellow but wild or white work fine)
b- Add two cups of diced tomatoes
c- ½ cup green peppers
d- Tabasco sauce to taste
e- your favorite Cajun seasoning

5) Reduce heat and let sit covered until rice is cooked, stir and serve

(You can also add some hot smoked sausage to step 4 for added spice and kick)

This recipe is great for those who don’t really like duck or goose and it’s the only way I really like snow geese… Enjoy
(If you try this please let me know how you like it)
Deeks
hunter

Postby rtbdrake » Sat Sep 01, 2007 7:34 pm

My Grandma only puts dope in her brownies , but I will tell her you said to try it on the birds !!!!
If you shoot it you should eat it !!!!
rtbdrake
hunter

Postby Outdoor Gal » Thu Sep 13, 2007 1:17 pm

Daisycuttin wrote:Never thought of stir-frying em. Great idea.

That's what we did with our first goose. Lots of teriyaki and made a pepper stir-fry. It was a tad on the tough side, but the flavor was great. Not bad for our first experience with a goose. It'll only get better from here on out. ;)
2009 Season Totals
2 - Baby boys

"Any woman who does not thoroughly enjoy tramping across the country on a clear, frosty morning with a good gun and a pair of dogs does not know how to enjoy life." ~ Annie Oakley
Outdoor Gal
Forum Moderator

Pluck those Geese and Ducks!

Postby otterbfishin » Sun Sep 16, 2007 8:08 pm

Pluck it, gut it and bake it in a hot (500) oven for 1/2 hour. Use a baking dish that will catch the juice with a rack to put the bird on. I like to put in some onion chunks, green pepper chunks and celery laid along side the bird. The meat will slice off juicy, slightly rare and very tasty and tender. I especially like to pick the meat off the several tasty spots on the carcass after the breasts and thighs have been carved up. Not plucking is wasting alot of good eating and in my opinion devaluing the bird and the sport. Specks are my favorite (probably cause they pick easiest), followed by Honkers, then Snows. All are great!
Taste, not Waste
otter
otterbfishin
hunter

Postby thaner » Thu Sep 20, 2007 10:54 am

I have done them a few ways, but medium on the grill if prepared right can taste very good and not so different than beef. I have had it so don't cut the lady so much grief. :no: Now baked in the oven till well don't taste just like an old work boot and if ya don't believe it give it a try. :rofl: Another good one is to marinade it 24 hour in a cinnamon brine. I will have to track down that one because I can't remember, but I think it also has soy or worchester sauce and a couple other ingredients. Put on the grill to medium or less if you like, very good! Good old poppers with the pepper and bacon wrap are always a good one. I don't like hot stuff so pickled jalapeños are a good options there.

However, once I got a smoker I never ate a goose or duck any other way than smoked and slow cooked or in jerky. Goose jerky done right is so good most people like it better than beef or venison; I do and so do my kids. We fly through a batch as you can’t stop eating it. I will do a mixed batch with venison and the goose or duck is gone first and I have seen it at parties I have taken it to with people that don’t even like wild game. I have tried a lot of different ways to do the jerky, but good old High Mountain original and follow the directions. About an hour of mesquite smoke is the key to unlocking and getting the best flavor combo for waterfowl.
More ammo! I need to shoot something!
thaner
hunter

Return to Duck Recipes & Tips for all Cooking