Micarta Riceland speck call makeover...

Information on goose calls and goose calling tips.

Moderators: quackerkiller, Ross R, Oregon Honker

Micarta Riceland speck call makeover...

Postby Rick Hall » Fri Dec 27, 2013 7:18 pm

I've posted this elsewhere but though a DHC speck hunter or two might enjoy a look:

Some time back Bobby B asked me to post this pic of a micarta speck call he'd had the boys at Riceland make up for him:

Came to pass that Bobby put the call up for sale, and one of the fellows I work for was nice enough to surprise me with it last Summer. Loved the tone with a touch of tuning to "fit," but try as I might, I just couldn't get as happy with the current Riceland insert shape as with my old faithful hedge call from their James Meyers Custom Calls days. Maybe just my small paws, because I know others who as strongly favor the current model.

Anyhow, I asked James if he'd mind turning it down as close as he could to the old specs and told him not to bother putting a finish on it. No problem said he, and I couldn't be happier with the result. Pretty sure he did some serious buffing after turning the call, but half a season of daily use and abuse and a pretty fair mess of specks later, it's still looking as sharp as it sounds:

Thanks, guys!

(Might oughta consider adding an "Old Style" version.)
If you think I'm wrong, you might be right.
Rick Hall
hunter

Re: Micarta Riceland speck call makeover...

Postby wanapasaki » Sat Feb 01, 2014 5:22 pm

That is sweet. I have a poly cuz I'm poor but it sounds amazing!
Give a man a duck... Feed him for a day... Teach him to fowl hunt... Feed him for a lifetime...Teach him in your spot... Learn to hunt a different spot....
wanapasaki
hunter

Postby Rick Hall » Sun Feb 02, 2014 4:56 am

When it comes to "bang for your buck," it would be hard to beat their poly.
Rick Hall
hunter

Postby wjarrell » Thu Feb 06, 2014 7:16 pm

I like the unfinished look Rick. I've been meaning to call James, I have a Hedge insert I'd like to send in and have them fit it to a Ivory barrel.
wjarrell
hunter

Postby Rick Hall » Fri Feb 07, 2014 6:46 am

Sure they'll be happy to do it.
Rick Hall
hunter

Postby Bigredman5223 » Sat Apr 12, 2014 7:33 pm

I like your call. I'm kind of jealous of it. I love all my Riceland calls. When it came time for another speck call I called Mr. Myers and told him I wanted something different. So he made me a delrin call in his old style and I love it.

Just in case you can tell, the speck call is in the middle.
Attachments
image.jpg
2013-14 SEASON HURRY UP AND GET HERE!!!

GIG' EM AGGIES
Bigredman5223
hunter

Postby wanapasaki » Tue Apr 29, 2014 11:15 pm

Another big call company out of Arkansas is releasing a speck call pretty soon... I field staff for them and it's looking promising. I'll post some pics and a sound file when I am allowed :lol3:
Give a man a duck... Feed him for a day... Teach him to fowl hunt... Feed him for a lifetime...Teach him in your spot... Learn to hunt a different spot....
wanapasaki
hunter

Postby Rick Hall » Wed Apr 30, 2014 8:11 am

wanapasaki wrote:Another big call company out of Arkansas is releasing a speck call pretty soon... I field staff for them and it's looking promising. I'll post some pics and a sound file when I am allowed :lol3:

Sick as I am for speck calls, it's hard not to yawn over dark secrets coming whenever.
Rick Hall
hunter

Postby wanapasaki » Wed Apr 30, 2014 8:45 am

Well doubt if you want Rick, but this is a real very reputable call company with a lot of world championship calls... You'll change your mind when you see/hear it :thumbsup:
wanapasaki
hunter

Postby Rick Hall » Wed Apr 30, 2014 12:31 pm

Maybe so, but until I can hear it and it shows me something I've not yet seen, I don't give a crap. Just not a fan of introduction before production, it's wasted wind.

(Now I feel like the Grinch that stole your Christmas.)
Rick Hall
hunter

Postby wanapasaki » Wed Apr 30, 2014 5:14 pm

That's ok, Rick. You remember how The Grinch story ended right? :thumbsup:
wanapasaki
hunter

Postby Rick Hall » Wed Apr 30, 2014 6:00 pm

Truth be told, nope. But from your inference, I gather he finds the magic flute and lives happily ever after.
Rick Hall
hunter

Postby wanapasaki » Wed Apr 30, 2014 6:51 pm

something along those lines :beer:
wanapasaki
hunter

Postby ByersFarm » Thu Jun 12, 2014 7:23 am

If it's who I think it is, then I wouldn't hold my breath. Seems like it's been in the works for a couple of years. I too was excited at first, but I've since come to boredom.
http://www.byersfarm.com Bill Byers' Hunter Club est. 1953

CraZyMatt wrote:Well, I guess I'll see y'all on the internet.
ByersFarm
DHC Sponsor

Postby Westtennduckhunter » Thu Jun 12, 2014 7:25 am

ByersFarm wrote:If it's who I think it is, then I wouldn't hold my breath. Seems like it's been in the works for a couple of years. I too was excited at first, but I've since come to boredom.

Ditto
teddysberna wrote:
whistlin_wings wrote:Did you get his autograph?

I thought about getting him to sign my cleavage, but decided against it at the last moment.
Westtennduckhunter
hunter

Postby Klondike » Fri Jun 13, 2014 4:17 pm

What does Micarta do sound wise?

Is it dense? Like blackwood,close to acrylic

Make for more mellow or hollwed sound?

John A. Chiasson
Klondike
hunter

Postby Rick Hall » Fri Jun 13, 2014 4:50 pm

I don't find it quite as crisp as acrylic or as resonant as hedge, but it sounds birdy to me. Don't have a blackwood speck call for comparison, but extrapolating from Canada calls of like model but differing material, blackwood might not be a bad comparison.

Of course there are different types of micarta that might well have different qualities. Don't know about that, as this "black linen" is the only one I've run more than briefly.
Rick Hall
hunter

Postby ByersFarm » Sun Jun 15, 2014 9:52 am

Klondike wrote:What does Micarta do sound wise?

Is it dense? Like blackwood,close to acrylic

Make for more mellow or hollwed sound?

John A. Chiasson

I'll add my opinion to what Rick said. I find phenolic resins to have a more lifelike sound than acrylic. To me, they merge the positive tonal qualities of both acrylic and wood. That is to say that they have the sharpness and consistency of acrylic along with the natural and realistic sound of wood. I also like how phenolic turns in comparison to acrylic. I suppose it's important to note that Micarta is a brand name that refers to a material once made by westinghouse. If you're in search of it today, phenolic resins will get you there.
http://www.byersfarm.com Bill Byers' Hunter Club est. 1953

CraZyMatt wrote:Well, I guess I'll see y'all on the internet.
ByersFarm
DHC Sponsor

Postby Klondike » Tue Jun 17, 2014 12:48 pm

I personally like delrin too. Seems to be very stable as far as tone and very durable.

To be honest,I have 15 or so redbones,from poly to acrylic to hedge and I really can't tell "that" much of a difference

I do like the smoothness I guess you would call it,or more rounded sound of hedge in some cases---I can hear that difference

Acrylic is definately more of a sharpened sound,more piercing

Which is better?----I don't think there is a BEST,Whatever produces results is Best for an individual caller

I have learned that over the years now---BEST is not finite when discussing speck calling
Klondike
hunter

Postby Rick Hall » Tue Jun 17, 2014 2:57 pm

Pretty sure "best" is what's working on the birds at hand, and that's been subject to change from day to day and even bird to bird. 'Least in my experience. No doubt most everything else usually trumps tone differences that might be attributed to a call's material by a mile and a half, but confidence counts, too, and it's nice to feel I'm giving the tones I think might turn the trick my best shot.

Love the feel of delrin in hand and know it's "hell for stout," but never had a call made of it that I didn't end up passing along. Maybe the next one...
Rick Hall
hunter

Return to Goose Calls and Calling Forum