having trouble killing ducks on a creek

Main forum for general non waterfowl discussions as well as general duck hunting information about travel, rules and regulations, and other duck hunting info along with the general topics.

Moderators: Tealer, Indaswamp, Dep6, steve-o, Preacher1011, La. Hunter, lostpup, #1wingnut

having trouble killing ducks on a creek

Postby redhead22 » Thu Feb 10, 2005 6:28 pm

During this season the was a creek by my house that stayed absolutley loaded with all kinds of ducks. there is one spot in the creek that is very slow that the ducks all sit. the only problem is that they they swim to this point right before dark and if you make one single move they spook. it doesnt matter if they are 10 or 100ft. away they fly off. how can i shot them or get the ducks to come in quicker? have know idea where they are landing because we never see or hear them hit the water anywhere near us. how do i find where they are hitting the creek at?
redhead22
Newb

Postby mallardhunter » Thu Feb 10, 2005 6:31 pm

You could go the way the came from up river or down river and just watch to see where they land.
Keep working millions on welfare depend on you!!!
If hunting is a sport I am the M.V.P.
www.goosehuntingchat.com
www.nodakoutdoors.com
mallardhunter
hunter

Postby shrpshtr » Thu Feb 10, 2005 8:47 pm

i agree with mallardhunter. note which way they are swimming in and setup in that direction. if their are multiple people hunting with you, i would even spread them out every few hundred yards up the bank until you find the entry point.

hth!
shrpshtr
hunter

Postby ol' yeller » Thu Feb 10, 2005 10:07 pm

The best thing you can do is hunt it on cloudy evenings. It gets dark earlier and the birds should come in during shooting hours. There's a hole we hunt that is the exact same way. I don't even waste my time on clear days.

The other thing you need to do is hide yourself VERY well. Build you a small blind out of the local vegetation and make sure they can't see you very well from up in the air. If they can build a small roof over it.

yeller
ol' yeller
hunter

Postby Admin2 » Fri Feb 11, 2005 4:40 pm

Sounds like a roost area. I suggest not gunning it as they will stick around a good portion of the season if the roost is left alone. So either find where they are feeding or the daytime loafing areas are and shoot them there instead.

The Deputy riding shotgun
Admin2
hunter

Location: lurking around the corner keeping an eye out for trouble makers

Return to The Honey Hole